Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Why become a paying member?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Default Why become a paying member?

The HBT community is fantastic. I've been a member for 2.5 years and in that time I've gone from a noob to somewhat of an intelligent brewer. I've seen the same thing happen to a lot of people who came after me - they show up not knowing much and soon have all sorts of conversations on proper conversion temps, the pro's and con's of decoctions, and proper kegging techniques.

All of this is basically free.

So why become a paying member? Well, for one, there are member-only areas. In these areas, we organize brew-swaps, have contests, and sometimes post things like specials we've found that we want to limit exposure. There are fantasy sports leagues, beer-bets, and other member-only fun.

So if you've enjoyed being in the community and you'd like to experience the "full-monty" then consider shelling overa few bucks and becomming a supporting member of the community.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
Silviakitty

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Heh...already did.

I figured I was going to get at least $20 worth of saved brews and peace of mind ("Oh no! I [insert strange/bad thing here] my wort! Did I screw up??") from this site, so I considered it a bargain.

• Primary: [2 mr beer lil keg things] Apfelwein. One with sucrose and molasses, the other with fructose and honey.
  • Better Bottle: Empty. Going to be Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale.
  • Carboy:empty.
  • Secondary:Brewferm Frambois
  • Piggie: Irish Stout
  • Bottled: Red Ale, Irish Stout

Old 12-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Very true. Recently, I went back and looked at my very first posts in 2006. It's amazing how much I've learned since then.

Not only that, but I've made new friends, both virtual and real world, who enjoy brewing as much as I do from being on this board. As enjoyable as brewing is, meeting up with others to brew takes it to a whole new level.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I second this...... This forum has honed my skills as a brewer and the little tricks and tips have made brew day much faster/better/more accurately repeatable. I understand how some would wait to see if it were worth it or not to join, but all you have to do is check out the other forums and see how many responses you get for a great question, or how fast you get a response if you get one at all. This is the only web forum I have ever paid money to join. Maybe we need to make more things members only, but that might deter more from not joining, I have no idea just that this site and it's Mod's are very up to date. I know, maybe have a really really great newbie section that really teases them into paying to get more knowledge. Like I said, don't know what can be done just that I want this to be the most talked about forum on brewing. I am about to do a advertisement in a way on my myspace and put some info for people to find this forum.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
finchlake

Recipes 

The site is great. I bought several brewing books for around $20 each before I found this site. The information I get from this site are way more up to date than any book. I paid my membership to say Thank You for such a great site.

Keg #1 : Black Cat Real Landcaster Ale
Keg #2 : Ed Wort's Apfelweisen
Keg #3 : AG Blonde

Old 12-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #6
capcrnch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did it for the decals

Kidding. I did it because in my first week of reading, I took on a good amount of info and figured I would be here for a while, and that being the case, I should support the site.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

I figured it was the honest thing to do considering I was making full use of its resources and expected to for some time. I think I ponied up in a week or two after joining. It was shortly after Christmas but I wasn't one of those Christmas gift brewers; it was just a coincidence. Coming up on my one year anniversary. I strongly suspect there will be a renewal soon.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I plan to, honestly... as soon as I have some money that I don't spend on brewing or brewing gear

But seriously probably in jan.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

This IS spending on brewing gear....

Old 12-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I also plan on doing it as well, I am just always a little strapped for cash. If I make it to 500 posts I'll feel pretty obligated to register, and considering I have only been posting here since september I don't think that 500 is to far off.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Quick Reply