Who's shopping on Black Friday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you shopping on Black Friday?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't shop, except for food and emergencies, from the time the xmas decorations go up until they come down.

Wow. then you don't shop much, cuz I know people that put up their decorations right after Halloween and don't take them down until Easter. Blech.

This is the first time I have worked on BF, but I work in a garden center, that also does Xmas, so pretty low-key. Some trees, wreaths, garlands, ornaments sold, alot of people just checking out the trees & decorations & I wrapped about 50 empty boxes (using a staple gun) for corporate decorating...

I am saddened, but not surprised at the fact that someone died at one of these things. I went to a Black Friday sale with my former mother- and sister-in-law some years ago and was pretty dismayed to see how base people will become in the face of saving a few bucks. There is an air of desperation in the crowd, then it becomes like some kind of brutal competition. I saw little old ladies shoved to the side by fever-eyed shoppers running in a pack, like wolves.

Now, I am all for saving a few bucks, but the behavior and look of this particular crowd was that of starving people at a food drop. It was ridiculous. But I also see how the excitement can be infectious, especially for anyone with a natural competitive streak. I think these shopping events touch an old, evolutionary instinct...the hunter/gatherer in all of us.

Personally, I have that streak and I know that I would be susceptible to the excitement of the crowd. That event I attended years ago, I was an observer and didn't have any money to spend, anyway. But after I saw what it was about, I knew I'd better stay away if I actually had a goal in mind. I can get a little mission-focused and competitive and I recognize that it is my responsibility to keep myself away from things where I might do something that I regret. Being pretty hard on myself, I'm not sure I could forgive myself if I knocked down a weaker person just for a good deal on an item that wasn't absolutely necessary for survival.

That's just maddening. That someone could get trampled to death because of mob consumer greed.

For the record I did NOT go TV shopping on Black Friday... BUT I GOTS ME A NEW 52" LCD ANYWAY!!! I couldn't find the deal I had heard about in the leaked Best Buy ad and finally figured out that it was just a killer deal they had going online. I was checking it out, SWMBO caught me looking, and she told me I better order it before they run out... :rockin:

That kind of thing makes me sick (not the tv, Damonic, the trampled person). I'd NEVER be that anxious to save a few dollars, even if it meant I wouldn't get the item for my kids.

My wife went out, while i stayed with the FIL to play with our cars. (which we didn't get to do because his cold was too bad), and she said that the people that were out were the most polite she's ever seen. Even better than normal shopping. She got a few good deals, but wasn't hunting too many specials anyway.

I went out on BF. Got a free breakfast at Sam's club, then went to walmart and the checkout lines were wrapped around the store, so we walked out. Then went to Lowe's to get my portable co2 regulator. Then walked to best buy and picked up a 19" LCD monitor for my cousin and then went home and was back in bed by 8am. Not stressful at all, and when I woke up at 10am, I was fully refreshed and ready to eat leftover turkey.

Back