The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Who is the second best QB in the NFL?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
srm775
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive21
Kudos to Jeff Garcia for his quite attractive SMWBO...
I thought he was gay?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well since your question is about the best QB in the league, not the best team or the QB with the best weapons around him, Tom Brady is not the best QB in the league - Peyton Manning is. Brady is obviously having the best year of any QB in the league *this year*.

Since he became the starter in 2001, Brady has proven to be one of the best clutch QB's in the game, but his stats have certinaly not been anything spectacular up until this year. Prior to this year, he never threw for more than 28 td's in a season, and never threw less than 12 INT's. I'm not here to bash Brady - because he's certainly a top notch QB, He's just not the best in the league. This may be news to the Greater New England Tom Brady Nut Tugger Club, but it's not news to anyone who follows the NFL as a whole.

The SB wins are undeniable, and instantly put him ahead of some guys who have had better stats over the last 7 years but I put Brady at #3 in a list of active QB's.

#1 - Peyton Manning (Career season averages - 4,069 yds, 29.8 td, 15.2 int, 64% comp, 7.7 Yards/Attempt, 7 pro bowls, 1 SB championship, 1 SB MVP)

#2 - Brett Favre (Career season averages - 3,762 yds, 27.25 td, 17.69 int, 61.4% comp, 7.0 Y/A, 8 pro bowls, 1 SB championship)

#3 - Tom Brady (Career season averages - 3,608 yds, 26.8 td, 11.86 int, 62.9% comp, 7.2 Y/A, 3 pro bowls, 3 SB championships, 2 SB MVP's)

No one else in the league is even worth putting on this list. All 3 of these guys have championships and are all first ballot HOF guys, but just because you're a Patriots slappy and *you* think that Brady is the best QB in the league doesn't mean that it's true.

Jeff Garcia? He's not even in the same class as these 3 guys. Garcia will never get anywhere near anyone's HOF ballot. I have one word.. MOONBALL! (I'm trying to find a clip of this from the '05 season when he was with the Lions... it's hilarious).

He's had a couple good years in SF, played well in Philly, and is playing well so far in TB this year, but all anyone seems to remember about him are his 'good seasons'. What about when he sucked it up in SF, or went to Cleveland and was a huge flop, or was named the starter in Detroit and failed miserably? He's above average at best.

Just my opinion... GNETBNTC members flame away.

Last edited by ohiobrewtus; 12-07-2007 at 03:09 PM.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
jzal8

Recipes 

ohiobrewtus, I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
jzal8

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srm775
I thought he was gay?
+1

Old 12-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #15
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Did you read the part where I said Garcia wasn't one of the best players in the league, just a guy who's better than he gets credit for? I even put a little icon there and everything...

His numbers are down this year, but no way to not go with Peyton as #2. It's kind of like watching Montana growing up; when the ball is NOT placed exactly where it should be, it's shocking. Brady's been the same way for most of the year, but Peyton's been doing it for a long time (at least, MOST of the time). Peyton (and Brady, this year) are also both guys who can make every throw they need to make - deep balls, quick outs, short stuff, timing patterns, virtually anything.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #16
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse
OK Giants guy, who are you saying is number 1? Manning the Much Younger? That's laughable.

Theatre!!!! Theatre!!!!! Theatre!!!!!!!!!!! I lied, I'm drunk.
I bet you never showed your face or even admitted you were a Pats fan when they were the laughing stock of the NFL. You may laugh but I will always be a Giants fan.

Now that the Pats are winning, we can't shut the NE fans up. Nothing against a team like the Pats (and I do envy their season this year, heck I envy every team that does well, I'm a Giants fan - lately that is what we do - but I have to tell ya if there is one thing that gets on my nerves as a NY fan is a New England fan gloating when they are winning or wining when they are losing.

I know its hard, but just remember that no matter how much you gloat, no matter how much NE wins, no matter what sport, in the North East, no matter what, nothing can beat the city that never sleeps, nothing.

So go on Mr. New England fan - jump, cheer, and gloat for your team is the best this year so far. Be warned... the day is coming could happen Sunday or later in Playoffs. it only takes a game on any given Sunday.

BTW - The difference is that Brady is a product of his environment and the Colts are a product of Payton.

- WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Did you read the part where I said Garcia wasn't one of the best players in the league, just a guy who's better than he gets credit for? I even put a little icon there and everything...
Ya, I saw it. I'm just yankin your chain...

Old 12-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #18
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts

To be honest, I don't really care who has the best QB, or the best at any one position for that matter. Those 3 guys are all awesome, and any one of them can play well enough to lead their team to a SB win. The rest of the team make up has so much more to do with how the team (including the QB) performs on any given weekend. The offense is all about the O-line, and how the skilled players work together!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM   #19
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Are we talking this year or careers to date? If it's this year I'd say Brady, Favre barely over Romo or tie. Manning probably 4th.

Career is a different story and then Romo wouldn't be in the picture yet (think Warner then/now). And that's no disrespect to Romo he just hasn't been doing it long enough yet.

Last edited by DesertBrew; 12-07-2007 at 04:31 PM.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
Short Drive
Brewer Baseball!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I remember as a kid thinking that Bart Starr was the best quarterback in the NFL. But then I grew up and was able to think past the end of my nose. I realized that Johnny Unitas was the best quarterback in football. Bart Starr was the best quarterback on the best team in football. Tom Brady is the best quarterback on the best team in football. When you grew up and see past the end of your nose you'll see that. Peyton Manning I think is the best quarterback in football. Brady might be second, maybe third. Only looking back through time will we know for sure. Enjoy the Patriots. They are having a hell of a season.

Al

Magic Bus Brewery

Quick Reply