Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Who here is Color blind?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
jgln
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb View Post
+1 on Red/Green. Scored a 95% on the pilot written tests when I was in the Air Force, but could not pass even the color threshold test (they sit you in a dark room and flash tiny colored dot lights at you) let alone those damn DOTS! I hate those DOTS! When I tell people that I am color blind, those who have no clue - just as you said - think I see things in black and white. That is not the case. I have trouble with browns and greens, and shades of blue (there must be red in some of them) and have confused purple with blue because of this But for the most part, most greens for me look brown.
As a very young kid I used to say grass was red and my sister would tell me "No it is GREEN!!" I don't know why I was saying that though because today I can clearly see that it is green and I see the difference between the two. I guess I was confused on what the names of colors were??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 643 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 476

I'm from the draft lottery and the Vietnam era. My number was 5 and since I didn’t want to get shot at, I decided to enlist in the Coast Guard. That was the first verification that I was color blind (red / green). Failed the dot test. Coast Guard wouldn’t take me, but the Navy did.

When I was a kid my parents just bitched at me for not learning my colors.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #23
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I am colorblind as well, I can identify the primary colors, but aside from that all bets are off, at night the overhead street lights look the same as a green traffic light, and I cant tell the difference between the yellow and red lights, I am always asked "how do you drive if you cant see the green ones?" my reply is always that you dont stop at the green ones, you drive through them, and I stop on yellow or red anyway, so no big deal.

Being a mechanic and having to diagnose an electrical problem can be challanging, but I ask a co-worker if I am unsure, and I rely a lot on pin locations in connectors and from there I can reason if the color is correct for what I am looking for.

My brother is 100% colorblind, it was always fun watching him come out wearing goofy color combinations, "you look good bro, have fun on your date!"

The lights are always in a certain order too so that helps. I hate those new traffic lights they use now, I think the idea is so you can't see them from the side to time when your light will change, I don't know. The problem is those lights can kind of illuminate when the sun shines on them in certain ways. There is one light on a curve that I can never tell what is lit during a sunny day. The angle is not straight on. Luckily I rarely get stuck at that light and it is a busy 3 lane light so I usually wait for the other traffic to stop and the cars next to me to go.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #24
jgln
Recipes 

When I first got the job and failed the test they told me I could go to the eye doctors and get a red contact lens to correct my vision which I did. I went back and was able to pass the test. Now this particular job required over a month of training before I was sent to the floor to work so I did not wear it during that time. When I did get sent to work I went out there not wearing the lens and nobody said anything and I performed the job with no problem. When I went back every year to take the test it was the same test and I knew what the numbers were now and I could pass it. But I have to say every year knowing that test was coming up and the possibility of losing my job because of it made me sick for months beforehand. 8+ years of that stress.

I applied for another position with another company I knew would be doing the same testing so after they told me they wanted to hire me (it was in FL) I fessed up and told them about it and they said they had ways to work around that and to not worry. I actually did not wind up taking the job after all.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #25
jmendez29

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
Look online for colorblindness tests - they're pretty good translated to a decent screen. Then you can test your son.
Wow. I have no idea why it never occurred to me to do this. I really feel like dumba$$ now. Looks like I have a project for the afternoon.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #26
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
Wow. I have no idea why it never occurred to me to do this. I really feel like dumba$$ now. Looks like I have a project for the afternoon.
I did this yesterday and some tests were more difficult for me than others. I found one color chart of 20 dots and I was able to identify evey single one of them pretty easily.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #27
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
I did this yesterday and some tests were more difficult for me than others. I found one color chart of 20 dots and I was able to identify evey single one of them pretty easily.
As you probably read, the colors are of course represented by your particular monitor and can vary. I bet you can find a book at your local library that will have the most accurate representations.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Old 11-04-2010, 04:54 PM   #28
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 643 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 476

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
When I went back every year to take the test it was the same test and I knew what the numbers were now and I could pass it.
Same with the driving test. I don't have a color blind conditional license. When I went to take the test the place was full, so I saw the guy in front of me look into the machine and say, "Red, Green, Blue," when they asked him what colors he saw. I looked into the machine and had no idea what the colors were, but said "Red, Green, Blue." PASSED!

Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #29
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
Same with the driving test. I don't have a color blind conditional license. When I went to take the test the place was full, so I saw the guy in front of me look into the machine and say, "Red, Green, Blue," when they asked him what colors he saw. I looked into the machine and had no idea what the colors were, but said "Red, Green, Blue." PASSED!
I really wish instead of making us have to deal with colors they gradually change to another system. They could still use colors but maybe use numbers, letters or shapes as well. That would put an end to all this.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #30
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Wow...glad that MD doesn't have a color test for a drivers license.... Would NJ not give you one if you failed? You can be a 90 year old quad and get a license, but if your color blind no? I have to think for the divers license it wouldn't mater....I hope.

Quick Reply