Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Who here is Color blind?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #11
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Bigelow View Post
Exactly the same experience as me. I ended up working in logistics in the Air Force. I didn't have much other options.
I went into intelligence, an oxymoron for sure, but it was a good time. What is kind of funny now is that I have been talking to a couple of private pilot instructors who said they can get me connected with a doctor that would certify me for the sport pilot level (daylight only, visual flight rules) so I may get to fly after all.

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1645 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 832

I'm shade blind, I don't see colors well.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #13
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSquad View Post
I'm red/green. I always thought I was sick the day we learned colors in school. It's always nice when I have to ask the passenger if the light is flashing red or yellow at night "Hey quick,..."
I do the same thing LMAO. My girlfriend was like seriously, I'm like yea hurry up.

I'm a data comm/telcom tech and Cat5e wires are a bitch. Wanted to be an electrical engineer. Couldn't do it. Couldn't read the bands on resistors..

Old 11-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
I need to follow this thread. I have some concerns over my son. Every so often he'll mess up on a color. Nothing significant, just mixing up a green with a blue or brown or something along those lines. It really hasn't been a big deal, but I've always wondered... Would a optometrist be able to test for color blindness accurately? If not, then how would I be able to find out for sure...
Look online for colorblindness tests - they're pretty good translated to a decent screen. Then you can test your son.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 126

I am colorblind as well, I can identify the primary colors, but aside from that all bets are off, at night the overhead street lights look the same as a green traffic light, and I cant tell the difference between the yellow and red lights, I am always asked "how do you drive if you cant see the green ones?" my reply is always that you dont stop at the green ones, you drive through them, and I stop on yellow or red anyway, so no big deal.

Being a mechanic and having to diagnose an electrical problem can be challanging, but I ask a co-worker if I am unsure, and I rely a lot on pin locations in connectors and from there I can reason if the color is correct for what I am looking for.

My brother is 100% colorblind, it was always fun watching him come out wearing goofy color combinations, "you look good bro, have fun on your date!"

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 11-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My dad's red/green colorblind. That may be part of why he joined the Air Force. 37 years of wearing the same suit that was picked out and color-coordinated for him.

It's sorta fun, now that he's retired, because he has to put thought into what to wear.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
Jenks829
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Colorblind here also. I think the dot test told me I was "blue/green" colorblinded.

The only annoying aspect of it is when you tell people you are colorblind, you are now the sole contestant in the game of "what color is that?" as they begin to point out random objects in the room and ask you what color it is. Then when you get them all correct they decide to diagnose you as not color blind.

Every now and again though, I will get dressed and my wife give me a look as if I got dressed in the dark. I then know that I have messed something up and go back up stairs and try again.

On Deck: This will be the summer of wheat beer experiments!

Primary: Pomegranate Wheat, Apricot Wheat, Wine Beer

Secondary: 2012 Washington State Merlot, 2012 Italian Carmenere, 2012 Italian Montepulciano, 2012 Italian Barolo, 2012 Central Valley Viognier

Aging in bottle: 2010 Washington State Merlot, 2010 California Cabernet Sauvignon, 2011 Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon

Drinking:

Old 11-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #18
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
I'm Red/Green color blind. Like you it's the 'shades' that throw me for a loop. I'm an electrician so things like com cables etc. can throw me for a loop. The company I worked for purchased numbered wire instead of colors. Not sure if they were just being nice or afraid of the ADA. Don't stress about it. It's not anything you can help....or study for.
When getting or keeping a good paying job you know you can do depends on passing that test it is hard not to worry about it. In my everyday life it does not bother me, me life is full of color.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #19
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch78 View Post
Today I put the aqua fiber in the green slot.

Com wires can be difficult even for someone who isn't colorblind. Many times, actually most times, you are terminated in a low-light scenario (under a desk, in a ceiling, behind a rack, et al) where those shades start to blend together. That's why companies make testers.
Yes, everything I build while working for that company got tested before power was applied. Mainly it was continuity or resistance testing but even then a brown wire where a red one should be would not fly and reworking takes time and money. Actually, testing was one of the jobs I held after the visual testing was done.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
jgln
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch78 View Post
Today I put the aqua fiber in the green slot.

Com wires can be difficult even for someone who isn't colorblind. Many times, actually most times, you are terminated in a low-light scenario (under a desk, in a ceiling, behind a rack, et al) where those shades start to blend together. That's why companies make testers.
Yes, light plays a big part for obvious reasons. On a sunny day I have no problem picking the red peppers from the green but once the sun starts to set I have to give up. My fiancee on the other hand could still see the difference with less light, but again not in the dark for obvious reasons.

Quick Reply