Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Where is your Kegerator?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 05:56 AM   #1
Skins_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Where is your Kegerator?

SWMBO and I are renting a house in MD (I have not seen said house yet because i am deployed, for 1 more week). I asked her the other day if i could put a cheap fridge in the basement to turn into a kegerator. She had no problems with that. I started thinking about it and came to the conclusion that i dont want to go to the basement everytime i need a beer. So, i figured i would test the waters and ask if it would be cool if i put a well built kegerator (like a sanyo) in the living room or dining room. The answer was a big no. She said it can only go in the basement or sunroom. The sunroom is a completley finished room off of the living room but there is no AC or heat in there. It would be an optimal location for the kegerator, due to its proximity to the couch and large TV, but i fear that in the summer it might get too hot and the thing might work itselt to death. Anyone ever been in a similiar situation? How did you win this? (IF you won)

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

My Sanyo conversion is right next to the fridge in the kitchen. Looks fine IMO, but I'm a lifelong bachelor.

You may be right that a mini-fridge conversion would work itself to an early death in a hot sunroom. However, I think a small chest freezer would not suffer this fate. I use one as a fermenter and crash cooler, and it just loafs along maintaining 38°F, seldom cycling on even in my very hot garage.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #3
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What's the problem with a fridge in the living room? Nothing. The problem lies elsewhere...

Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You = Basement.
Just suck it up.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 07-30-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have my Sanyo in the kitchen and since I use picnic taps I made a counter that sits on top of it. Dual use since the microwave is on the counter and it fit nicely into the space.

I would go to the sunroom versus the basement id I had to make your choice.

Gary

Old 07-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett0424 View Post
What's the problem with a fridge in the living room? Nothing. The problem lies elsewhere...
I agree 100 %

Tell your old lady if she doesn't want to walk to the basement to get you beer every time you want one that you'll put your kegerator anywhere you damn well please.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Zack
Recipes 

Quote:
"You = Basement.
Just suck it up. "
Ha....I wanted to put my keggerator right next to MY chair...SWMBO said NO!..Then I figured I'd run some beer lines through the wall right next to my chair....again...a big no!.....Basement?...I'm not walking that far for a beer....

You = Garage.
Just suck it up.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
I agree 100 %

Tell your old lady if she doesn't want to walk to the basement to get you beer every time you want one that you'll put your kegerator anywhere you damn well please.
LMAO! Thats a good one. I am certainly going to pull that card. If her reaction is negative, then i will just play it out like its a joke. I can see if the living room was an actual living room with nice furniture and no TV, but this is a living room/ TV room. I think if will be able to talk her into it but i dont know. I know if i went over to someones house and they had a kegerator in the corner of thier dining room i would be like "Wow, thats awesome." I need to make the point across that people might be impressed with it!! If all else fails, it looks like its going in the sunroom.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 07-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #9
Hercules Rockefeller

Recipes 

I'm stuck with the garage. The chief downside is, there's no door from the garage to the house, you have to go out into the backyard. What's really tempting is that the garage backs up to the living room. my recliner is about 2 feet and 2 sheets of drywall away.

but there's no way my wife would let me run the lines through - it's her grandmother's house and we don't own it (my cousin in law owns it and we're just taking care of it for a while) I can hear it now - you want to do WHAT to my grandmother's house?

for your situation, I'd put it in the sunroom. as long as you run the tap through the door so you're not opening and closing it all the time, it should be fine. I've got mine in a 20 yr old fridge in a southern facing garage. Today we'll tie the all-time record for continuous days above 90f in Denver, and it's been fine.

"let me be the first to welcome our new insectile overlords"

On deck: Breakfast stout
Primary: Empty
Secondary: American Pale Ale
Conditioning: None
Kegged: Imperial red ale, Breakfast stout, Chipotle Irish red ale, Biermuncher's C3C cream ale

Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've got my Sanyo tucked a way in a corner of my home office. Close the French doors when there are non-drinking guests over and they don't even know it's there. Fortunately it's right off of the living room for when we have friends over that DO drink.

Quick Reply