The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Where do you weigh in- Topic of almost 0 importance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1540 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 2406

Default Where do you weigh in- Topic of almost 0 importance

As the title of the thread implies, this matter is almost completely unimportant. My annoyance registers somewhere around a 2, meaning it is over almost as quickly as it started. No waiter or pretty little heads were harmed in the making of this thread. I just wonder if anyone else feels the same way about this admittedly unimportant topic.

Whenever I have ordered certain dishes, most notedly brisket of beef noodle soup in Chinatowns throughout the country (this has happened, with the same soup, in several New York restaurants, once in Boston, and once in San Francisco) the waiter takes it upon himself or herself to let me know why I might not like it.

When ordering spicy pig kidney last year, for example, the waitress asked me if I knew what kidneys were. I did. She took it one step farther in bringing out the restaurant owner who spoke fluent English, just in case she hadnt gotten her point across. About 10 minutes into the meal the owner came back out to make sure I didnt want him to take the dish away.

There are two ways to look at these behaviors, I think. You can either see it as vague racism, asssuming that a very obviously caucasian english-speaker would have certain expectations when eating food, precluding certain flavors and foods, or you could just see it as good service. I suppose there is a guy out there who might order the kidney by accident, not knowing what it is.

My question is this, should the waiter caution diners that what they are ordering might be out of the usual realm of what they most likely have consumed, or should they mind their own business and stay silent on the matter?

For the record, I never snark regarding this, and tips are not at all affected. Just a little eye rolling when the waiter leaves.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

For the record, I enjoy your "thoughts of the day."

My first question is what prompted the waiter/owner to feel like he needs to disclose...it would seem to imply he's received complaints about this dish in the past and/or had upset customers. So, in an effort to prevent that from happening again, he/she feels its necessary to disclose. Just a guess.

I'd say, "Thanks for letting me know, and yes I still want it."

Old 03-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks, I was getting worried that I was annoying some folks.

Every time I have ordered the brisket soup (its fabulous by the way) they always warn me that there is fat. Apparently some people really dislike fat on a cut of meat that is inherantly fatty... lol.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brisket soup seems like a stretch, but with kidney dishes I can see them making sure you knew what you were getting into. I've seen a few mexican restaurants give me weird looks for ordering beef tongue or cheek tacos.

Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 03-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 20 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've had this happen many times. I attribute it like Ty said, to previous diners ordering the dish and not liking it or complaining. Restaurants don't want you to have a bad experience. After 20 people order the brisket and complain, they just want to warn you in case you are one that would have complained.

Too many people are idiots these days (I.E. McDonalds, "the coffee was hot?") and expect the restaurant or whatever provider to make up for it. So unfortunately those of us that are up to snuff get treated as the lowest common denominator dictates.

I never take it as white guy racism, just them offering a friendly warning.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
As the title of the thread implies, this matter is almost completely unimportant.
We're accustomed to that.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would guess it's mostly due to previous customer complaints as others have mentioned. Restaurants obviously don't want unhappy customers, but they also don't want the lost revenue of someone sending a dish back because they weren't properly warned about the contents, heat, etc of a dish. I doubt it's a race issue. My guess is that they warn everyone that they don't recognize as a regular customer.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4604 Times on 4299 Posts
Likes Given: 55

My guess is that they didn't want to have to throw it out.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1504 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 2703

Yep, suck it up. They have had too many idiots order it, assuring the staff that they can "handle any level of spicy!" only to send it back as inedible and then not only waste the restaraunts money, but probably to talk badly about the restaraunt for what was clearly their fault.

Just show your adeptness with chopsticks, tell them next time you would like it hotter, and next time they will remember you.

- a very......very.....druck Zul'jin

Old 03-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thats really a good point cheezy, I hadnt thought of that. Btw, the place I mentioned with the pig kidney is in Flushing (which everyone knows is a superior Chinatown to Canal St. ;-), back me up on this Airbourneguy...) I forget the name but it had a lot of off-the-beaten-path dishes on the menu, which is why my friend and I went. After the mild hubbub with the pig kidney I continued ordering, and got a plate of ducks feet in scallion sauce for the table. The waitress literally sighed. I got a chuckle out of that.

If you are wondering, the dan-dan noodles were a 5 alarm fire (delicious too), the spicy kidney wasnt all that spicy but had lots of great flavor, and ducks feet are now officially not my favorite thing in the world to eat. Bland and hard to eat.

Quick Reply