When I am wrong, I am wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Been more of a grumpy jerk recently than usual. My computer is on the fritz, grandparents are very ill, a number of factors. Yesterday, I did something I hate, and I'm beating myself up about it a bit.

SWMBO had the day off while I was at work. Her phone, as is her custom, was dead as a doornail. She was awaiting a delivery from a popular grocery delivery company to come in the first delivery route.

I got a call from the company saying that the driver was ringing the bell but there was no answer. Since I couldnt get in contact with SWMBO, they asked if they could drop the grocery boxes off in front of the house. I said that yes this would be alright, and sent SWMBO an email saying that this is what happened. Mind you, this is while I am at work, and I try to limit personal calls seeing as how Ive only been here a few months.

When she emailed me back about 5 minutes later I found out that no one had rung, there were no boxes, and she had been in the house the whole time. WTF. I call back and ask what is going on. "The boxes have been dropped off in front of the house since no one opened the door" "Actually, there are no boxes there and no one rung our bell" "Do you not see the boxes" "No, there are no boxes there, and no one rung the bell" "The boxes have been dropped off in front of the house" "I have just told you that no boxes are in front of our house, I can assure you that we have no boxes"...

This went on for a couple minutes. It was beginning to feel like Who's on First?

And thats when I did it. I became a dick. "Perhaps we could ask the driver to return to wherever in the hell it is in Astoria or otherwise that he randomly dropped boxes of my groceries and bring it to my house, what do you think?" I said something bull**** about "not trying to be an ******* about this" but honestly, I was very much trying to be an *******. I was annoyed I had to deal with this while I was at work. I was also annoyed that they would get the wrong address, and that they didnt seem to believe me when I told them that there were no boxes at my house.

Ultimately, within 45 minutes the problem was rectified. We got an email apology, and the delivery fee was deducted from our bill.

Now, I am remorseful and regretful because I know those drivers got in trouble, perhaps even had their pay docked, for what was most likely an honest mistake. I dislike when people are jerks to me and I dislike it even more when I am a jerk to other people.

Thanks for listening, and if you happened to be driving that truck... sorry.

:(

Relax. Maybe you overreacted a little but they added to your frustration by not believing you that the delivery was not made at your house.

The delivery guy should get some blame I'm sure it will not be harsh because thew things happen. The way it was handled on the phone was not right.

Anyway what is done is done, now get your SWMBO to keep her cell phone charged!

I agree, maybe you flew off the handle a little, but if they screed up, they screwed up... if they recorded the wrong addy it is the fault of the person who did it... if the driver took it to the wrong place, it was their fault... the company will deal with it appropriately I'm sure

Yeah, it sounds more like an honest mistake from the delivery guy. So he'll probably not be punished. The person on the phone that couldn't put 2 and 2 together, IMO deserves more of the blame for the misunderstanding not being fixed more quickly/easily.

I had a similar thing happen with my mailman and a package that came for my girlfriend. He put the package in one of those larger compartments of the community mailbox, but the key he left in my individual mailbox wouldn't open the door. I tried multiple times to open it, as did my gf, and even my brother when he was over one day. After 3 adults being unable to open the door with the key I decided to leave a note with the key so in case it was the wrong one the mailman would put a new key in my box. The next day I saw that he had just removed the note and left the same key. So I tried again with no luck. The next day, I saw the mailman at another community box in the front of my neighborhood, so I told him about the problem in person. As soon as I mentioned it, he knew exactly which package I was talking about, and even know my address. He proceeded to tell me that there was nothing wrong with the key, and that I should try again. I told him I would just meet him by my mailbox and get the package from him when he had the entire thing open. Of course I missed him because I had to leave the house before he got to my part of the neighborhood. The next day I checked te mail and saw that there was no longer a key, but instead a note saying my package was brought back to the post office and that I had to pick it up in person. My house is seriously 40 feet from the community mailbox, and this guy couldn't just put the package on my porch. And he refused to believe that te key wasn't working, and instead just thought an adult didn't know how to open a lock.

I'm sure the problem was that the package was just big enough to wedge up against the interior latch and prevent the key from turning. So it probably was the right key, but I still couldnt open it.

You don't know how badly I wanted to tell off the mailman, but I had thoughts of important bills not being delivered in the future, so I bit my tongue.

Been more of a grumpy jerk recently than usual. My computer is on the fritz, grandparents are very ill, a number of factors. Yesterday, I did something I hate, and I'm beating myself up about it a bit.

SWMBO had the day off while I was at work. Her phone, as is her custom, was dead as a doornail. She was awaiting a delivery from a popular grocery delivery company to come in the first delivery route.

I got a call from the company saying that the driver was ringing the bell but there was no answer. Since I couldnt get in contact with SWMBO, they asked if they could drop the grocery boxes off in front of the house. I said that yes this would be alright, and sent SWMBO an email saying that this is what happened. Mind you, this is while I am at work, and I try to limit personal calls seeing as how Ive only been here a few months.

When she emailed me back about 5 minutes later I found out that no one had rung, there were no boxes, and she had been in the house the whole time. WTF. I call back and ask what is going on. "The boxes have been dropped off in front of the house since no one opened the door" "Actually, there are no boxes there and no one rung our bell" "Do you not see the boxes" "No, there are no boxes there, and no one rung the bell" "The boxes have been dropped off in front of the house" "I have just told you that no boxes are in front of our house, I can assure you that we have no boxes"...

This went on for a couple minutes. It was beginning to feel like Who's on First?

And thats when I did it. I became a dick. "Perhaps we could ask the driver to return to wherever in the hell it is in Astoria or otherwise that he randomly dropped boxes of my groceries and bring it to my house, what do you think?" I said something bull**** about "not trying to be an ******* about this" but honestly, I was very much trying to be an *******. I was annoyed I had to deal with this while I was at work. I was also annoyed that they would get the wrong address, and that they didnt seem to believe me when I told them that there were no boxes at my house.

Ultimately, within 45 minutes the problem was rectified. We got an email apology, and the delivery fee was deducted from our bill.

Now, I am remorseful and regretful because I know those drivers got in trouble, perhaps even had their pay docked, for what was most likely an honest mistake. I dislike when people are jerks to me and I dislike it even more when I am a jerk to other people.

Thanks for listening, and if you happened to be driving that truck... sorry.

:(

Get over it. You have NOTHING to feel "remorseful" about. THEY screwed it up, not you, not swmbo. People need to do their jobs; granted, people are going to make mistakes from time to time, but they need to get it right, or make it right after the screw up. Sounds like that company did that, so while they made a mistake, they rectified it & gave you a break on the delivery charge. Sounds like everything is as it should be to me. You're in NY, WTF? I expect New Yorkers to have responses like "Here's a dollar, thanks for nuthin" or "Have a nice day, a$$hole." Save your remorse for those who truly deserve it.
Regards, GF.

They screwed up and tried to give you the run around. Sometimes all people understand is rudeness. A year ago when I moved into my house, I had the joy of dealing with AT&T trying to get them to come over and set up my DSL. After getting stood up the third time, having been very polite the first two times, I called them up and immediately started dropping f-bombs and telling them I was going to bill them for my time since I had to pass on jobs to sit here and get stood up by them. 15 minutes later I got a call from a service guy saying he could be there within the hour. I absolutely hate that this is how the world is, but sometimes being nice won't get you anywhere.

The cell phone thing SUCKS. SWMBO was guilty of that too.

What if it was something important? (it kinda was this time, right?)

And if the customer service wasn't getting the picture, a simple "I'd like to speak to your manager" makes them shut up and take notice FAST.

That is simply effective without getting upset. You seem like a nice enough guy, No foul I say.

And if the customer service wasn't getting the picture, a simple "I'd like to speak to your manager" makes them shut up and take notice FAST

THIS!!!

I wouldn't have let that back-and-forth go any further than 5 minutes before I asked to speak to someone in charge.

I've worked in a lot of service-industry jobs in the past and have decently-high standards when it comes to service so I really don't tolerate that.

non-working cell phones and groceries delivered in error.

The collision of first world problems.

non-working cell phones and groceries delivered in error.

The collision of first world problems.

ohyou.jpg

Cell phones go beyond first world problems. 3rd world countries have cell phones, and bitches there chronicly forget to charge them, and are sitting home when the bomb detonates, that their hubby has been frantically trying to call and warn them that he forgot to disarm.

;)

the moral?

CHARGE THE PHONE BITCHES, IT MAY BE GOD DAMNED IMPORTANT.

My wife does the same thing. I bought the Ooma box and now have a free VOIP landline, that rings in 5 fricken rooms. She CAN'T ignore that!

Did you confirm they had your correct address on file? lol

CHARGE THE PHONE BITCHES, IT MAY BE GOD DAMNED IMPORTANT.

My gf has two phones. At any given point, one of them is left at home or is dead. If she's not at work, there's a good chance they're both at home, dead, or on silent.

I try not to get angry and remind myself that even 10 years ago, you couldn't just get ahold of anyone exactly when you wanted. Doesn't really help though.

People do make mistakes. I almost got a log splitter for free, because the UPS guy was on the wrong street, about a mile wrong. Can't blame the GPS because my home's location isn't correct in the system, but the place it was addressed to is.

I told SWMBO yesterday that I was still kind of sweating this, and how the thread had developed and she seems to agree with most of you in that I need to get over it.

As for why we use the service, we've found that the produce tends to be fresher, we are able to get a better deal in the long run, and we are less apt to load our carts full of stuff we dont need. Plus, walking even a block and a half with 20 bags is a hassle.

"People who never get carried away should be."
--Malcolm Forbes

No worries!

Customer service jobs have the job description written into the title. If you hate the first and think yourself above the other, expect me to be unpleasant!

I told SWMBO yesterday that I was still kind of sweating this, and how the thread had developed and she seems to agree with most of you in that I need to get over it.

As for why we use the service, we've found that the produce tends to be fresher, we are able to get a better deal in the long run, and we are less apt to load our carts full of stuff we dont need. Plus, walking even a block and a half with 20 bags is a hassle.

Get over the customer service thing, because it was her fault you could not get a hold of her.

Okay, wait... so I'm having to make two assumptions here:

1) It's cheaper even with delivery fees. Where were you shopping before?

2) You're having them delivered a block and a half....... really?

Good questions

1) it winds up being cheaper with loyalty bonuses, and as I said before we buy for a week rather than going to the store and managing to buy 12 things that werent on our list to begin with.

2) No the grocery store is a block and a half away, the delivery service uses several venders to sell the groceries, some are farther away than others and some are purchased wholesale.

Wow how much do you eat?

When we buy groceries for a week, it only fills one or two (reusable) bags. Granted, if you let them use those plastic bags they'll use one or more for each item.

Her phone, as is her custom, was dead as a doornail.

i might get flamed or whatever but this is such a chick thing.

go ahead - ask any chick you know - guaranteed their phone is dead right now.

hey chicks - charge your f-ing phones.

also, the next person who says "first world problems" should have their testicles removed. such a dumbassbro thing to say. also about a year old. nothing like dropping stale dumbassbro comments.

Worrying about the age of a saying is such a first world problem....:p

Two things I can guarantee in regards to my SWMBO. cell phone battery is dead and gas gauge in truck is on E. I've just learned to live with those two facts and deal with the greif they cause.

Get her an iphone. Not only will you never get her off of it, she will PANICK that she can't update her facebook when the battery dies, and therefore will never risk letting the battery run down.

Back