The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Whats your commute time?

View Poll Results: Your average commute time (one way)
0 - 15 minutes 90 40.36%
16 - 30 minutes 49 21.97%
31 - 45 minutes 41 18.39%
46 - 60 minutes 19 8.52%
61 - 80 minutes 13 5.83%
81 - 100 minutes 6 2.69%
101 - 120 minutes 3 1.35%
Over 2 hours each way! 2 0.90%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Whats your commute time?

Just wanted to get an idea about what everyone's commute time to work is and how you feel about it.. I was having a discussion with SWMBO regarding a job that would possibly require a minimum of 50 miles and an hour each way without traffic, and I think there would be some traffic. I was trying to explain that I dont think or want to put up with that commute for very long. She was arguing that she "doesn't think its that bad."

Now I live around D.C. and I know what commute times are like around here and its bad. I used to take the metro and it would take a little over an hour every day. I really disliked that commute BUT it was somewhat bearable cause I could read on the metro for 35-40 minutes - I wasn't hitting the break and gas pedals. I was able to get my hours move around at my current job so I could come in earlier and now I drive and it takes 30-40 minutes, much better! This job would be Northern Delaware (newark/wilmington) and I would move in with SWMBO around the Dover Delaware area. Anyways, looking for others opinions on whether this commute is somewhat reasonable and I just need to suck it up, or if its more on the extreme end.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I usually take the bus to work and it takes about 25 minutes. When I drive, it's about the same (sometimes shorter, sometimes longer, especially if I can't find a parking space).

Two of the major aspects I take into account when choosing a place to live are 1.) commute time to work and 2.) broadband internet access.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Huell Melon Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 01-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
glenn514
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Now, I have NO commute time because I'm retired. I lived in Plano, Texas for 5 years, and my job was in north Dallas. When we moved there in 1992, it took me about 25 minutes to get to work [Central Expressway]. Just before we moved, I noticed that it was taking me 35-40 minutes, due to increased traffic from subdivisions being built north of Plano. And I absolutely HATED the morning commute. So, when we moved to northern Illinois, we bought a house 7 tenths of a mile from where I worked.

glenn514

Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
Sheldon
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default commute

Woodbridge to DC. Used to car pool = 30 minuts. Now I take the commuter bus and the trip is about 1 hour and 15 minutes. The good news on the longer commute is that the gov't pays us feds to use public transit. Now that is insane with the size of the deficit, but who am I to argue.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 56

@ArcaneXor and @glenn514 - I am definitely with your thought process here!

@sheeldon - Woodbridge to dc without carpool or bus (where you aren't driving and can do something else) would be miserable! If we end up having to live in the D.C. area Im sure I will have a similar situation. I am in a prime location living with the parents until SWMBO and I get married in September. Definitely can't afford to live in McLean then!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Used to drive into Boston everyday from NH, about 1 - 1 1/4 hours each way. Now I work in NH and it about 30 minutes and I have options ( back roads vs highway ).

Look at it this way, moving to the Dover area puts you closer to DFH.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Exactly two miles. I wouldn't drive two hours each way if they doubled my salary.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
PirateBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I first moved after college, I lived in Gaithersburg with my ex-girlfriend and was commuting (driving) to Arlington (Ballston to be exact) and it would roughly take me an hour. Then I finally got my feet on the ground and moved to DC and would only commute a half hour by means of the metro. Back in October, I switched offices and now commute maybe 10 minutes.

That being said, the gas and costs to maintain your car for a 100 mile round trip commute everyday could add up very quick. I mean, I honestly don't mind driving. I hate traffic but I just throw on my XM radio and it makes life more bearable. Plus, I'm not exactly at the mercy of others like when you take public transportation. I would definitely evaluate the job offer and see if the pros outweight the cons. If you think it's worth it then take it!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
rack04
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

15 minutes average.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
cedar_lake
Recipes 

15 minutes each way by car, 20-35 each way when I ride my bike. I used to have a 35-70 minute commute each way by car, and hated it.

Quick Reply