Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What's the deal with blogging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #41
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1018 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

The web is an amazing outlet for people to feel like they belong to some kind of social group when they are otherwise introverted to the point of handicap. I can appreciate that this is theraputic to a point. I don't know that anyone claims celebrity due to a blog being published, but I'd wonder how much traffic someone's blog has to acheive before the publisher inevitably feels a sense of accomplishment (celebrity). You could say the same thing about people who post things on this forum or youtube or whatever. I can't explain exactly why I do it. I guess I get off on putting out some information with the hopes that it benefits a few people (sure that's in the context of a hobby but for some blogs it might just be a hope of entertaining someone). I also make short updates to my personal website just for the benefit of family members who like to hear what I'm up to but I'd rather not call on a weekly basis.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #42
McKBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Blogs are the 21st century equivalent of a diary or journal. I've tried to start a couple blogs for the selfish reason of getting people to read them so that I could make some money from google adsense. But my life is really boring, so no one looked at my blogs. I have made a total of about 11 cents since December.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #43
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzik View Post
I think Ben is taking an (un)necessary flogging here. I think I understand what he is getting at. Having been around since before the boom of the web, or the web in general for that matter, I remember the BBS/Usenet days (the original message boards), before everyone had a web page. Generally then if you had a site or a BBS, to some extent, you were "important" in this "cyber" society, or at least had something remotely interesting to say. With everything as accessible as it is today, anyone can have their own web page, message board, yahoo store, blog, ebay listing, whatever, it has diluted what once was. Is it necessarily a bad thing? I'm not sure I care enough as Ben made his OP sound. Every now and then, I have those "well I was here before all of this ****" feeling, then I realize I have more important things to worry about...
Thanks Joe, I see what you're saying. I'm definitely not raising my blood pressure over it though. There are, as you say, more important things to worry about...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Quick Reply