Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What's the deal with blogging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
chachi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think your issue is that you are assuming anyone that blogs believes anyone cares. I have been blogging for a number of years on and off. I don't do it because I think someone out there cares I do it because I like to write my thoughts down, something I found useful/helpful, something that p8@#$$e$ me off, etc. I don't find it any different than having a discussion with like-minded/not like-minded people or keeping a journal/diary. The whole thing about anyone else caring never figured into the equation for me. Clearly there are some people for whom it does, but I think most people do it for themselves.

: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Keg 1: "Wing Ding" Bohemian Lager
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty
Keg 4: Empty
On Deck: Diapers and sleep

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #12
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I read Soulive's rant, all I kept picturing was Andy Rooney saying those words...

..."and what's the deal with blogging, anyway!? Why do people think I wanna read anything they write?"

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 06-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #13
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do a lot of job applicant screening for my company. I always search the net to see what potential applicants are up to. On one occasion I found a blog where the applicant admitted to stealing from a former employer and generally displayed a sh!tty attitude toward work and life in general. We chose not to interview that person because there were others in the pool who were just as well qualified and didn't have the same issues.

So, yeah, most blogs are boring to most people who read them. But be careful what you write, because it's public information and you never know who may be looking at it.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Last edited by Beerthoven; 06-19-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
When I read Soulive's rant, all I kept picturing was Andy Rooney saying those words...

..."and what's the deal with blogging, anyway!? Why do people think I wanna read anything they write?"
Haha, I meant to convey some Seinfeldesque emotion...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 06-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #15
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Is Andy Rooney dead yet? Does ANYBODY watch 60 minutes anymore? Can't they just start 60 minutes officially at 7:30 during football season, so they don't have to tell us EVERY FREAKIN' GAME that "60 Minutes Will Be Shown In Its Entirity At The Conclusion Of This Game." No 4:00 game has finished earlier than 7:15 in twenty years, JUST PUSH THE DAMN SHOW BACK A HALF HOUR OFFICIALLY AND BE DONE WITH IT!

See, I have all of these rants... where on Earth should I put them all?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #16
perversatile
Recipes 

The funny thing is that OP's post reads just like a blog entry.

Tell me, when your television set is displaying a show that you don't like, do you get up and change the channel or just scream in its general direction until it changes itself?

Correction to OP......

"Seriously, why do I feel the need to publicly rant and expect people to care? I'm not talking about the new blog feature on here. I'm talking about people (like me) that post in a public forum and then the people who care enough to read it. Its like I thinks they're a celebrity because they have a publicly visible post. Is it just me or am I really lame?"

Old 06-19-2008, 09:19 PM   #17
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perversatile View Post
The funny thing is that OP's post reads just like a blog entry.

Tell me, when your television set is displaying a show that you don't like, do you get up and change the channel or just scream in its general direction until it changes itself?

Correction to OP......

"Seriously, why do I feel the need to publicly rant and expect people to care? I'm not talking about the new blog feature on here. I'm talking about people (like me) that post in a public forum and then the people who care enough to read it. Its like I thinks they're a celebrity because they have a publicly visible post. Is it just me or am I really lame?"
Wow, another antagonistic/negative post from you? The difference is that people here are intentionally on this forum to hear what one another has to say. Your analogy to the TV says nothing for the bloggers I'm talking about that think they're celebrities because they blog. My title for this thread was used because I genuinely didn't understand the point to blogging. Some people have enlightened me, some haven't. Thanks for your typically unproductive input though...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #18
Laurel

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I read cooking blogs. They usually give me good ideas, generally contain great photography, and tend to have better recipes(people don't just throw recipes up there with their face on them if they suck) than other sites.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #19
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I think it's like having access to 100#s of biographies. Not that I'd read all the biographies available in book shops but the odd one is worth it.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #20
perversatile
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulive View Post
Wow, another antagonistic/negative post from you? The difference is that people here are intentionally on this forum to hear what one another has to say. Your analogy to the TV says nothing for the bloggers I'm talking about that think they're celebrities because they blog. My title for this thread was used because I genuinely didn't understand the point to blogging. Some people have enlightened me, some haven't. Thanks for your typically unproductive input though...

What's unproductive is you complaining about other's rights to express themselves. Regardless of how dull, pointless, and uninteresting it is.

My analogy points to the fact that you seem incapable of "changing the channel" when you see something you don't like.

Quick Reply