Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What's the deal with blogging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #1
Soulive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default What's the deal with blogging?

Seriously, why do people feel the need to publicly rant and expect people to care? I'm not talking about the new blog feature on here. I'm talking about people that keep a public journal and then the people who care enough to read it. Its like everyone thinks they're a celebrity because they have a publicly visible blog. Is it just me or is this really lame?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Primary = Evan!'s Special Bitter
On Deck = EdWort's Porter / American Amber

EdWort's Haus Pale Ale Count

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 374 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 99

It all depends on whether the person has anything interesting to say.

I happened across a REALLY lame blog a year or so ago, and posted a link in a thread here. Some Star Trek person. Very boring, nothing to say, no comments in like a year and a half of posts. The person found that link and got wicked upset, clearly, I hurt someone's feelings. I ended up feeling really bad... but at the same time, the blog was so lame and banal, and clearly NO ONE was reading it, it really WAS ridiculous.

At the same time, I came across one the other night from a really smart, articulate stripper, talking about her experiences in the industry. Very interesting to read her perspectives, about that business and other stuff.

You're right, though, not everyone NEEDS to blog. Having the medium available doesn't mean anything if you don't have anything of interest to say.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
It all depends on whether the person has anything interesting to say.

I happened across a REALLY lame blog a year or so ago, and posted a link in a thread here. Some Star Trek person. Very boring, nothing to say, no comments in like a year and a half of posts. The person found that link and got wicked upset, clearly, I hurt someone's feelings. I ended up feeling really bad... but at the same time, the blog was so lame and banal, and clearly NO ONE was reading it, it really WAS ridiculous.

At the same time, I came across one the other night from a really smart, articulate stripper, talking about her experiences in the industry. Very interesting to read her perspectives, about that business and other stuff.

You're right, though, not everyone NEEDS to blog. Having the medium available doesn't mean anything if you don't have anything of interest to say.
I meant to exclude anyone interesting. If someone has intriguing experiences/stories to share, I totally understand. I'm talking about the average John/Jane that do the same mundane crap day in and day out. WTF gives a sh!t?!?

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

The only thing I would say is, that some blogs are public but really aimed at a small group of people. My wife does a livejournal, which I guess is basically a blog, I don't even really know. Her friends and family read it (I won't), so that they can keep in touch with what's going on with her. If you came across it - you wouldn't give a rat's ass about it, just like I wouldn't particularly care to read your wife's blog unless she was talking smack about you and putting up nudie pics.

But in general - most people either lead uninteresting lives or just don't have the ability to communicate things in an interesting manner.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
The only thing I would say is, that some blogs are public but really aimed at a small group of people. My wife does a livejournal, which I guess is basically a blog, I don't even really know. Her friends and family read it (I won't), so that they can keep in touch with what's going on with her. If you came across it - you wouldn't give a rat's ass about it, just like I wouldn't particularly care to read your wife's blog unless she was talking smack about you and putting up nudie pics.

But in general - most people either lead uninteresting lives or just don't have the ability to communicate things in an interesting manner.
I can understand that as well. I'm strictly talking your everyday person that feels self-important enough to post their thoughts for the whole world...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I dont really understand your objection to it, no one is forced to read it or even to be aware of its existence and its not displacing anything valuable since the internet doesnt have a finite amount of room. Plus I kind of like the idea that people can record there life experiences so that others can search through them and learn from it, even if 99.9999% of it is useless crap it would be ashame to lose that 0.0001% just cause the rest of it is worthless. If most of my life is boring but one day I solve some problem related to a broken computer or something and this info is posted online so that someone else comes across it and it saves them hours or even days of work then it was all worth it wasnt it?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Soulive

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
I dont really understand your objection to it, no one is forced to read it or even to be aware of its existence and its not displacing anything valuable since the internet doesnt have a finite amount of room. Plus I kind of like the idea that people can record there life experiences so that others can search through them and learn from it, even if 99.9999% of it is useless crap it would be ashame to lose that 0.0001% just cause the rest of it is worthless. If most of my life is boring but one day I solve some problem related to a broken computer or something and this info is posted online so that someone else comes across it and it saves them hours or even days of work then it was all worth it wasnt it?
I know nobody is forced to read it. I just don't like that some people are arrogant enough to assume anyone cares. I also don't like that people think they're celebrities just because they blog. Again, I'm not including every single blogger...

===================
Green Lane Brewing
===================

Old 06-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
My wife does a livejournal, which I guess is basically a blog, I don't even really know. Her friends and family read it (I won't), so that they can keep in touch with what's going on with her.
That is basically the reason I have a livejournal account. It's the only way I can keep up with what's going on in my brother's life (he is kind of like that Star Trek person you mentioned - phone calls are not a good option).

I use mine to rant about crazies in DC (mostly so I don't go off on my co-workers), and I also use it as an electronic catalogue of all of my brewing activities. I certainly don't expect anyone other than my brother and one other person I know on livejournal to look at it. It's mostly there for my own reference later (for the beer).

Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Did you just say that your brother is boring, sensitive, and has no friends?

(uh, you're not my big sister, are you?)

Old 06-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
jmulligan

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Did you just say that your brother is boring, sensitive, and has no friends?
Of course not!!!!!!!!!

He knows lots of other dorks and is friends with them...They have networks.

Quick Reply