Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What's a 'Beer Snob'???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 02:59 PM   #21
cowain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmonkey
I don't call myself a Beer Snob to put anyone down. I once knew a guy ( before I made beer) that would give me crap over my $5 12 pack of PBR when he had just spent $8 on a six-pack of Pete's Wicked Honey Strawberry Blonde
I've never been a fan of anything from the Pete's brewery, so I suppose if I was a true beer snob I could put them down for being inadequate, etc.

I think the problem with "beer snobs" is that those types of people haven't gotten far enough along in their appreciation of beer to know that all beers have their place within their style.

When people hate on the big breweries (myself included) they are really hating the fact that the only beer you can get in most restaurants are those beers.

When a "beer snob" expresses dislike for bud light, etc. that's fine. When that same person tries to say those are bad beers, they are showing their inexperience or bias. Those beers are very good examples of their style. It's just like the BJCP thread where Tnland was talking about how he had to judge lambics and he hates lambics. He didn't try to say they were bad beers - he evaluated them within their style.

Sorry - I'm rambling. It's too early for me to focus properly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2006, 03:47 PM   #22
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

This hobby has made me a "beer connoisseur" which I never initially expected to get out of this. So when I go out with buddies or they bring over a 6er of whatever (we sample a lot) I tend to "explain" the beer. Basically like wine tasting. I describe the malty/hop/yeast of it. I went to a BJ's brewery chain and their Hefe is strong in banana taste so I start telling co-workers why. They never put nana and hefe together until I explained and they all of a sudden could taste it as well.

Because I'm obsessed with this hobby like many of you are I do this all the time. When I catch myself rambling I self label me a "beer snob". But I believe most people just think I'm informed and usually like to hear about it.

A beer snob would put down the macro brews, belittle those that drink it and rub it in their faces. I explain why "Macro" tastes like this as well and how they get it there (rice bla bla) while drinking them.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:56 PM   #23
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree...we need to have more converts by educating our friends and introducing them to tasting techniques, etc.

I, too, am a beer snob because I can't spell connasewer, conesayer, connie-who?, etc.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #24
Capa
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I'm a quiet beer snob. Meaning I know the difference between good beer and bad and go out of my way to avoid Bud. But I firmly believe in "to each, his own" and would never knock someones beer choice. If he/she is drinking a beer then I'll be their friend. Now, if someone starts talking trash about how great Bud or Miller is then thats where my "snobbiness" comes out and I try my best to set them straight.
All that being said if I am drinking with my college buddies who don't know better then I'm right there with my 12 pack of Bud Light...mmm, mmm.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #25
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Some good points raised so far - How do 'Micro Brew' beers (say in similar sized bottles) compare in price to the 'Big Corporation' beers across the US? I know State to State it varies due to laws/etc but i'd love to see a rough idea on prices when you guys go and buy a few beers in your area.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #26
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i pay about 7-9 dollars per six pack of good beer, and 3-5 dollars per sixer of crap...but you really save money when you buy crap by the case, you can get a case for like 10 bucks!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 11:47 PM   #27
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I can sum this up in 1 word . . . .

USMCRUZ

Old 03-03-2006, 11:54 PM   #28
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
I can sum this up in 1 word . . . .

USMCRUZ

that dude was a 'bleach snob'...

Old 03-04-2006, 12:30 AM   #29
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Man, you stole my buzzzzzz...................

Old 03-04-2006, 12:31 AM   #30
rewster451

Recipes 

The local O'Fallon brews are about 7 bucks, bigger micros, like New Belgiums are 7-8 depending on the style, and some of the harder to find brews like Bells, which only a few stores around here carry, run as high as 9 bucks for non-specialty beers. The Bells Third Coast Old Ale was like 14, but it is obviously a different animal. Ommegang big bottles are 4 bucks, and I drink it all the time because I think it's well worth that price. Not the best Belgian style beer out there, but for four dollars, it makes me happy.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Quick Reply