The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What's a 'Beer Snob'???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 01:53 AM   #11
Ivan Lendl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default just a thought...

another point: no matter how good 'chimay' is you cant make a crack pipe out of a bottle like you can with a bud can, a pin, and some ciggarette ashes...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2006, 01:53 AM   #12
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Supporters of Native Oregon Beer!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #13
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with Bill.....it's a matter of education, which comes through seeking out and trying many different beers.

If a guy drinks Bud, has only drank Bud, and only cares to drink Bud, then I consider him ignorant. If he's tried all sorts and still thinks Bud is the greatest, then it's just a matter of taste.

I like all sorts of beers, but I like hoppy ones the most. A lot of my fellow brewers/drinkers think that anything over about 30IBU's is nuts. But, I think we'll all agree that it's all about sampling, and finding what it is you really like.

The whole "snobbery" thing comes about when one person wants to put someone down for their personal taste. If I (a hophead), were to tell Bill (not a hophead) that his taste in beer sucks, then I'm a snob.....and vice-versa.

There are some highly rated beers that I think are crap. Duvel being #1. To me, it's overcarbonated garbage. If I want that much foam, I'll eat some Redi Whip. So, who's the snob? Me, for not liking it, or all the other people who rate it so high? The answer is "neither". It's a matter of taste.

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 03-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #14
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
The whole "snobbery" thing comes about when one person wants to put someone down for their personal taste. If I (a hophead), were to tell Bill (not a hophead) that his taste in beer sucks, then I'm a snob.....and vice-versa.
I whole heartedly agree Sam. I have tried a lot of different styles of beers since I started brewing and I know I make a better tasting brew than the Big3. However, what I don't need or like is someone telling me I'm a brain dead slave to mass consumption with no taste and a F'g moron to boot just because I still drink Coors Lite occasionally

I drink what I want and don't expect to be bashed for my choices. I won't do it to anyone else.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:26 PM   #15
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I guess my classification of a beer snob is not the same. I am not one to judge others on much, so I've never really thought of others as beer snobs. I have, however, caught myself being what I would consider a beer snob. Example:

Waiter: "What would you like tonight?"
Loop: "A half slab of ribs and some fries."
Waiter: "What would you like to drink?"
Loop: " What's on tap?"
Waiter: "Bud, Bud Light, Miller Lite & Michelob."
Loop: "No craft brews?(in head thinking wtf, you guys don't have anything?)
Waiter: " No sir, that's it" (staring at me now waiting for a response)
Loop: (still looking at waiter in disbelief, with voices in head saying many bad things about the selection and then remembering when it was ok to drink any of these with his ribs and fries. )

going home after meal and saying to myself, Jesus , I've become such a beer snob.

loop

Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #16
Alembic
Recipes 

I agree with 2nd Street brewery and sam75 about the definition of beer snobbery.

To use an anology - in a Model RR forum I used to follow there was an expression of a "rivet counter". This was a person who was so wrapped up in trying to re-create a type of existing railroad car or engine - that if the modeler in question did not have the detail of the model down to the correct number of rivets on the side then the modeler and model were sub- standard. THAT is in my opinion a snob. It boils down to putting someone else down because they don't do it like the way you do because your way is the best (does this sound like the marine brewer from quam anyone?)

In the Homebrewing realm I quess the equivalent could be all grain v. extract v. Mrbeer or beer in a bag or something. The all grainer saying to the extract brewer you are not a true brewer.

That is why I LOVE this forum. You all are the most understanding supportive bunch of folks on the web. There is nothing better to support the Homebrewing movement than this site!!

So ....... that's what I think a beer snob is!

Old 03-03-2006, 12:35 AM   #17
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't call myself a Beer Snob to put anyone down. I once knew a guy ( before I made beer) that would give me crap over my $5 12 pack of PBR when he had just spent $8 on a six-pack of Pete's Wicked Honey Strawberry Blonde Girly- man ( my opinion at the time) Fizzy Crap. For me , it was a matter of economics. The PBR would get me there for $5. His stuff would get him there too, after he'd had a couple of my PBR's.
It made me feel small, and less of a person. I would never make anyone feel that way on purpose. It's all about being a kinder, gentler Monkey.

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 03-03-2006, 03:49 AM   #18
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm with you Sudsmonkey. I don't put anyone's taste in beer down (at least I don't believe I do). It is all a matter of personal taste.

I know what I like and I've learned (through sampling) there's a lot out there that I will NEVER try again no matter how thirsty I am.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:26 AM   #19
Brewers United
Recipes 

Well a snob is a person who has a discriminating pallet such as thay would rather go to a fancy French restaraunt rather than an everyday restaraunt such as McDonalds. Ths is much the same with beer. Beers have differantr tastes depending where they are brewed, who they are brewed by etc so a beer snob is someone who won't drink any old commercially made beer

Old 03-03-2006, 08:03 AM   #20
rewster451

Recipes 

BU, I'm not sure how you mean that. Given that money is not an object, who wouldn't rather go to a great French restaurant than McDonald's. We all have our moments when we need our fix, but if we had it our way, wouldn't we all go to a great restaurant, be it French, Italian, Mexican, whatever? Maybe what you're getting at is that beer snobs are often rich. I'm not. That's why I often drink PBR, Stag, etc. I just don't want to give my money to the Big Breweries. I don't rip on other people for making that decision. I also don't tell other people what to think in terms of politics, etc. I respect people who have opinions, no matter what they are. I just can't respect people who let corporations do their thinking for them.

Up next: Big Brew Off competition between me and Kaptain Karma as one team, and my two roommates as another--We'll be brewing Pale Ales with specifications on malts, hops, and total yeild to see who's version is better (and to end up with ten total gallons of great beer).
Also up soon: Belgian Dubbel
Primary: Grampa's Woodshed Apple Smoked Porter
Secondary: Zombiefoot California Common, Chocolate Strong Porter
Drinking: Seamus O'Drunkagan Irish Red, Humble Pie Imperial Stout, Capricorn IPA

Quick Reply