The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What is whiskey?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What is whiskey?

I'm trying to understand this whole process, fermented malt and hops is beer, so what is just fermented malt? Anything? Does whiskey or other malt liquer start out as beer and then distilled down further?

How about moonshine? that is made from corn right? Do they make a corn wort and add yeast?

It is Friday so if these are stupid questions just indulge me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2006, 09:09 PM   #2
SBN
Recipes 

Over my head Todd, but I do know that fermentation occurs, then the liquor is heated until the alcohol boils off, where it is captured and condensed - it's then cut to strength and aged in charred oak barrels, in the case of whiskey. Can't drink the stuff.....

the smoothest vodka I ever drank was a french called Ciroc or something like that - it was actually a grape product with multiple distillations - very smooth.

Take the alcohol, flavor it with juniper berries and cardomon and it's called gin.....

Skol!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
makingitgood
Recipes 

Moon shine is basicaly, high alc drink, , people youse a sugar mix basicaly yeast, lots of sugar, water yeast nutrients.... u want yer brew to be really hi alc content B 4 you distill it. not like you got a still in yer base ment... its not Illegal to have a still, lol well i dont think so, as long as u aint stillin alc... gotta love distilled water. http://homedistiller.org/theory.htm

Old 07-21-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
BootYtRappeR

Recipes 

I think for moonshine they essentially make a corn beer ferment it with yeast and then heat this to whatever temperature alcohol turns to gas. The still captures the steam into another vessel.

something along those lines

Drinking:
Up Next:

Old 07-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys that is what I was thinking happened, I just wanted to confirm it. I'm not looking to make it or anything, just my brain going crazy like always. I'm brewing my first this weekend and the last two nights I've been dreaming about fermentors.. ha!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBN
...the smoothest vodka I ever drank was a french called Ciroc or something like that - it was actually a grape product with multiple distillations - very smooth...
Since it was a grape product you sure it wasn't a grappa?

Old 07-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Since it was a grape product you sure it wasn't a grappa?
No, it's vodka and it's delicious. It's my fave vodka.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 07-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interesting...http://www.travellady.com/Issues/April03/spirits.htm

Old 07-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #9
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
I'm trying to understand this whole process, fermented malt and hops is beer, so what is just fermented malt? Anything? Does whiskey or other malt liquer start out as beer and then distilled down further?
Beer and Scotch whiskey start out pretty much the same. For the whiskey, unboiled and unhopped wort (100% 2 row base malt, no adjuncts) is fermented out with distillers yeast and is then sent through a distiller at least twice raising it's alc/vol to about 52%. This liquid is then put in used Sherry or Bourbon casks with enough airspace to dilute with water to final proof which is about 40%.

It can only be called whiskey after it's aged in the cask for at least 3 year IIRC. You wouldn't want to drink it any earlier than that.

Last edited by Mikey; 07-22-2006 at 12:23 AM.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:14 AM   #10
Kevlar
Recipes 

Whiskey is kinda of a generic term as well. Bourban has to be made from 51% corn mash or more, aged in charred oak barrels, and produced in the US. The best bourbans are produced in the west Tennessee and Kentucky area do to the fact that the water table contains high levels of calcium and low levels of Iron. This is considered to be ideal water for producing Bourban. The Oak trees in this area are also ideal for aging Bourban do certain sugars and enzymes that they contain.

All "whiskey's" start out as a clear liquid that is similar to Moonshine, but it is the aging of the oak barrels that imparts the colors and flavors that Bourban is known for.

Some men learn by reading, and some men learn by watching. But some men just gotta pee on the electric fence themselves.

Quick Reply