What is it and what's it worth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berwick12

Reaction score
I just started a business in NY and I'm renting an old warehouse where a previous tenant was and machine shop that made parts for planes. In the old warehouse they are some SWEET toys. Some of the tools are obvious like the lathe, band saw, and mill, I just don't know the value. The landlord said he wouldn't mind selling them IF he knew what they are worth. I told him I knew of a forum that is a fountain of knowledge that might be of some help.

I took some rough pictures and here they are below. I will get more information today from the data plates and post it below.

Thanks,

CO

IMG_1221.jpg

IMG_1222.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

IMG_1225.jpg

I couldn't find the first two, but mostly because I couldn't read the manufacturer's names. For the other two:

For the third pic, I found an old listing where that exact 1980s Turnmaster Variable Speed 13x30 Lathe sold for $703.33. That one looked like it was in fair to bad shape, though. The one you have looks much better physically

The last picture is a 411 CINCINNATI GILBERT 3B MULTI DUTY RADIAL DRILL. I found a listing for a used one for $3900.

If they were left there, I'd bet they weren't exactly owned by the previous tenant.
I'd say somebody out there is trying to collect rental/lease fees, payment, or repossession of said equipment.

Thank you very much topher, I saw the lathe for that price. I didn't know about the drill press. I will get more pics and info later today if I can squeeze in the time.

The standing weight on the lathe is 2850 lbs. Without logistics in place a lot of companies would have left this stuff behind. To be clear this wasn't left behind by a person, but by the multi-billion dollar publicly traded company that will currently remain nameless. Why salvage the old and pay for shipping when you can buy new, upgrade and write it off as a business expense?

I believe the top machine is a surface grinder, looks to be CNC controlled. The lathe also looks to be CNC controlled. That band saw is huge, again pricey That is some pretty spendy equipment and it appears to be clean. Someone just walked away from it, that doesn't make sense. If you sell it get it appraised.

I believe the top machine is a surface grinder, looks to be CNC controlled. The lathe also looks to be CNC controlled. That band saw is huge, again pricey That is some pretty spendy equipment and it appears to be clean. Someone just walked away from it, that doesn't make sense. If you sell it get it appraised.

Yes something is not adding up. Be ready to find out who owes who money if you start calling industrial equipment suppliers in the area. Also beware that even the "old" machine are worth big $$$.

The first one is almost positively a surface grinder. We have several at my shop. They are not nearly as clean as that one. It's not CNC from the picture I see. It might have a digital control on it, but I'm not even sure about that.

The surface grinder has a bed that holds the stock you want ground flat. The bed moves back and forth and a grinding wheel skims across it. The machine can be set for a few parameters to allow almost unattended operation. We use coolant with the couple that I see running, and nothing with a few others, depending on what they are surfacing.

The Radial Drill Press looks a LOT like ours. But ours is an Ikeda. We have, or had, some Cincinnati Gilbert stuff so I thought it might have been similar. We sometimes use the radial drill for drilling holes in steel plates, but usually we use CNC floor mills for that, as it's quick and easy to drill hole locations while we are cutting other openings.

The lathe and band saw are pretty obvious.

Cincinnati Gilbert (City, Streetname). I believe that was made in the old Cincinnati Milacron plant on Gilbert Ave. They were a specialty company.

All look to be serviceable equipment, though somewhat outdated. You will be lucky to find a buyer other than a surplus equipment house and then you will be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar for it unless you are willing to store it for viewing....might get 20 cents then.

I'd tell the landlord to get rid of it personally.....and my advice is based on "it's my job" to procure materials, machinery, equipment, etc for manufacturing.

All look to be serviceable equipment, though somewhat outdated. You will be lucky to find a buyer other than a surplus equipment house and then you will be lucky to get 10 cents on the dollar for it unless you are willing to store it for viewing....might get 20 cents then.

I'd tell the landlord to get rid of it personally.....and my advice is based on "it's my job" to procure materials, machinery, equipment, etc for manufacturing.

This is my experience as well. You might try Ebay to start with and see what happens. You won't get much, even if they are in nice shape. After they don't sell there, you might try contacting a surplus reseller, and as chezhed says, you will get better than scrap value if they pick them up. If you hold onto them while they sell them, you will get slightly better.

They are nice looking, but outdated.

Unless I'm mistaken, the OP's original statement that 'The landlord said he wouldn't mind selling them IF he knew what they are worth' means he's interested in buying them himself from the landlord, and is tryiing to figure out what a fair price would be.

Has the industry changed that much in the last 5 years? That was the last time I was looking for that kind of equipment I was in disbelief what the cost new was and what people wanted used.

Has the industry changed that much in the last 5 years? That was the last time I was looking for that kind of equipment I was in disbelief what the cost new was and what people wanted used.

Yep...technology advances in controls and equipment are like TVs.....5 years ago we used paper for work instructions....now it's all on touch terminals.......mind boggling to think of the advancements over 30 years........to think I used to carry a clipboard and a pencil :D

The top one is a surface grinder, and no it is not NC controlled. If it was, it would have a screen. And good shop equipment does not get outdated in quite the same way that old computers do. If it is good equipment and has been maintained, it's residual value is high. Search for CNC machines on ebay and see what people are fetching for the most beat up crap. Also, when equipment becomes "obsolete" it means that those of us that still use it can no longer find parts for repair and maintenance. If my company could find a Pneumo diamond turning center like the 30 year old one we have now that we could canabalize for parts and such they'd probably give you whatever you wanted for it. I say list them. That stuff looks like it's been taken care of.

Unless I'm mistaken, the OP's original statement that 'The landlord said he wouldn't mind selling them IF he knew what they are worth' means he's interested in buying them himself from the landlord, and is tryiing to figure out what a fair price would be.

Usually I like needing something I'm buying. If the new tenant doesn't know what they are why would he want to buy them from the landlord?

Pretty sure the landlord is wanting to sell them but doesn't know the value. Hence why he's asking what they are and what they're worth so he can list them properly.

Usually I like needing something I'm buying. If the new tenant doesn't know what they are why would he want to buy them from the landlord?

Pretty sure the landlord is wanting to sell them but doesn't know the value. Hence why he's asking what they are and what they're worth so he can list them properly.
I've never seen a gun or a tool I didn't need.... although I've seen plenty I couldn't afford. :D

And over the years I've taught myself to use tools I didn't even know existed, before I found them cheap somewhere. Most of them a lot smaller than the ones shown of course, but the principle is the same. Or if the OP can get everything there for a good price, he can resell the individual items for a profit over time if he wants.

My sons are going to go hog wild in my workshop and gun safes when I'm gone. The younger one because he'll want to play with all the toys, and the older one because he'll want to add up how much he can sell everything for.

Guess which one's actually in the will....;)

I've never seen a gun or a tool I didn't need.... although I've seen plenty I couldn't afford. :D

And over the years I've taught myself to use tools I didn't even know existed, before I found them cheap somewhere. Most of them a lot smaller than the ones shown of course, but the principle is the same. Or if the OP can get everything there for a good price, he can resell the individual items for a profit over time if he wants.

My sons are going to go hog wild in my workshop and gun safes when I'm gone. The younger one because he'll want to play with all the toys, and the older one because he'll want to add up how much he can sell everything for.

Guess which one's actually in the will....;)

Ha! It's funny you said that and touche. I was in Home Depot this weekend looking at tools myself. My wife who was with me asked me, "how many tools do you really need?!?". After she sat there for about 30 seconds and made a noise I said "Oh....sorry, that was a serious question!". Needless to say she ended up over in the flooring section looking for my next home improvement honey do.

All the same at $700+ for the cheapest toy listed thus far I'm knowing what they do and if I want to get into that hobby. Then again, like you said, wouldn't mind selling and then reselling to make some money.

Back