What is not brewing but will still be buzzing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWeeb

Reaction score
When I was a little little boy, mama always said that homemade gifts are better than anything store bought. Wait 'till she sees what I am making this year for the Family at Christmas!

oh yeah! :ban:

for xmas 2010.jpg

HAH!! +1

My uncle used to make homemade anisette every year (think Sambuca), and it would come out after Christmas dinner, along with the coffee and desserts.

It would make for some very interesting conversations and some funny stories too :)

I just might buy the stuff to do this tomorrow. I take it that it goes down very smoothly because of the sugar and lemon? No everclear rocketfuel burning?

I didn't click on your link, but I usually do 10-12 days, shaking vigorously 2-3 times a day. Then a sugar/water mix at the final straining/blending.

I just might buy the stuff to do this tomorrow. I take it that it goes down very smoothly because of the sugar and lemon? No everclear rocketfuel burning?

I originally discovered this liqueur while stationed in Europe 15 years ago; since then it has been one of my favorites for sipping, chilled down to freezer temps in the summer, room temp in the fall... no rocket fuel taste at all, it is like Lemon Head candy for those over 21!

Riverfront, I like the idea of shaking it up to help the zest release its goodness..

I made a batch this past summer with some mid-shelf Russian vodka.

Yeah, the simple sugar added when you bottle makes it go down very smooth.

Makes up some wonderful cocktails too - limoncello martinis are really wonderful (and can kick your ass clear into next week)

i coudlnt help but to initially think that this would taste like everclear with some sourness to it.

the way it is being described makes it seem drinkable and im curious now.

im sure the hangover is just as bad if not worse from all the added sugar on top of the booze

i coudlnt help but to initially think that this would taste like everclear with some sourness to it.

im sure the hangover is just as bad if not worse from all the added sugar on top of the booze

After macerating the zest, it's thinned down to liqueur proof levels, and then sweetened, it doesn't remain at everclear strength.

I've got the lemon skin soaking now, I think i'll let it sit for a couple weeks in the closet before moving to the next step. I looked up a bunch of other recipes online and found that some people even let it sit for a month or more.

. .. . I have it all mixed and still soaking in a gallon jug; having a hard time not checking the progress through "samples" sometimes several times a day !

I tried a 1.5 week sample on Saturday and it was a very intense Lemon/Rocket Fuel, burned my throat like a mofo. Should be great once its diluted down and sugar added at the two week mark (which is today).

those who've made this before, how yellow did it turn? I see pictures of some people's and its VERY yellow, mine is just a clear-ish pale yellow. I don't see how it can get any yellower. Maybe it has to do with the source lemons? Mine were not super bright yellow.

I have to believe that the commercial types use food coloring. Mine is not very yellow either; of course I have a vanilla bean that is probably affecting it. From my standpoint, it is what it is, and actually adds to the "home made" aspect.

I knew I held onto my empty 1.75L bottle of Highland Leader Scotch for a reason, that reason is below (also maybe i'll use it for starters too):

IMG_2166%20%28Small%29.JPG

IMG_2165%20%28Small%29.JPG

knotquiteawake, Very Nice! Here is mine, double batch, gallon jug, after adding the simple syrup. I have some zest peel, but got tired and used a grater for most of it; seems the peel is floating while the grated stuff is hanging out at the bottom with the vanilla bean.

limoNov10_2010.jpg

You don't separate the zest out once you've added the simple syrup? I didn't really take a second look at the directions, but I was thinking you let the alcohol sit with the zest for a couple weeks, then strain and mix with the simple syrup. Maybe it would be better to mix it all and sit even longer.

You don't separate the zest out once you've added the simple syrup? I didn't really take a second look at the directions, but I was thinking you let the alcohol sit with the zest for a couple weeks, then strain and mix with the simple syrup. Maybe it would be better to mix it all and sit even longer.

Really good point. The link to the recipe I posted shows straining the everclear and zest before adding the simple syrup. On the food network, the recipe shows adding the simple syrup to the vodka mixture and letting it steep overnight. One of the comments on the food network was this:

"limoncello needs to be made in two 40-day steeping stages, plus storing. Lemon peels (from 14 scrubbed in hot water lemons steeped in a 750 liter bottle of vodka for 40 days. 4 cups sugar in 5 cups water simple syrup another 750 liter bottle of vodka gets added and steeps for an additional 40 days. Strain it (I use coffee filters, then store it for 4 - 6 months. THAT'S Limoncello!"

I guess I used a mixture of the two recipes, everclear from the website, but longer steeping with zest and simple syrup from the Food Network.

I have no idea which is better, since this is my first time. But basically I took 15 lemons, zested them, let them sit in EverClear (1.5 liters) for a few weeks, then added simple syrup to the gallon mark (equal parts water and sugar; about 2 more liters). I am now letting that steep for several weeks before I strain and bottle it. I have tasted this, it is awesome, and should come in at around 40% ABV.

oh geeze! I thought it would be ok... seriously... after diluting it with the simple syrup and letting it sit overnight... I thought it would be ok to take a small sample after lunch (working at home)... pow! this stuff is great but its a really good thing I took such a small sample because its pretty strong...

:ban: Found the perfect bottles for this, each holds exactly one liter, the two clear ones will be labeled and given away as gifts, the other, a gift to my liver :ban:

Source: Hobby Lobby, 50% off glass sale, $4 each. Need to figure out a way to seal the tops, as the corks they come with are small and really dried out.

limobottles.jpg

FWIW, this isn't something that is supposed to be drunk in quantity. Just like most liqueurs, its served as an after dinner digestivo in a small glass. Serving size is about a shot. Once you cut it with the simple syrup, it does pack a punch, but it is extremely sweet.

FWIW, this isn't something that is supposed to be drunk in quantity. Just like most liqueurs, its served as an after dinner digestivo in a small glass. Serving size is about a shot. Once you cut it with the simple syrup, it does pack a punch, but it is extremely sweet.

Exactly! Like Ozo, Obster, Grappa, Jager; best served ice cold. Either put the bottle in the freezer or - since I like the looks of it - serve in a wine tasting (or other very small) glass with a single ice cube.

you inspired me to bottle my own, a week early. I strained everything out but placed the vanilla bean in the center bottle for kicks.

limobottles3.jpg

nice! I like those bottles.
The only thing I would change next time is to cut the sugar a little bit, Its just a little too sweet and pours out a bit syrupy.

Just made a label for the bottles, feel free to use it if you like!
:rockin:

limoncello3smaller.jpg

I am finally getting around to making a second batch of this. Did any of you try it with vanilla pods and if so how did it turn out compared to plain lemons?

Back