Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What THE HELL??? *cats*

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
Everyone's at least slightly allergic to them, and their urine is downright poison; especially for an unborn fetus.
Not sure why you know that, but...when my wife gets pregnant, I'll be sure not to give her cat piss to drink.

I've had one cat in my life that I liked---my first one, when I was a kid. He was simply a badass. None of the typical cat stuff, he would spend most of his time outside hunting in the woods, and if he didn't like you, then you were in for some sh*t. I think he only liked me and my best friend. My little brother would get scratches by him all the time, so would his friends. Which made me appreciate him all the more.

But outside if him, I don't care for cats. I don't hate them or anything, but I'll probably never have another one.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #12
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I hate outdoor cats. We have several neighbors that let their cats run the neighborhood, always climbing on our cars, chasing off the birds we put feeders out for and in one instance dropping a litter under our porch. That last one left me with seven kittens that the SPCA would do nothing about.

Pets, like children, should require passing a written test to own.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Not sure why you know that, but...when my wife gets pregnant, I'll be sure not to give her cat piss to drink.
Women can get toxoplasmosis from gardening as well, that is what harms the unborn fetus.

EDIT: to say that cats carry toxoplasmosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Last edited by Flyin' Lion; 12-05-2007 at 01:44 PM.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #14
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I like outdoor cats. So do the coyotes.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #15
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The only think toxic I know of about cat piss is that it breaks down into ammonia. A week-old cat box can burn your eyes and sinuses a little when you clean it. I'm the one that cleans the cat box at home primarily because I have an (apparently odd) genetic trait that allows me to close off my nasal passages and completely block my sense of smell at will.

Some cats are awful, some are great. I've had cats that were meaner than a snake and some dumber than a sack of rocks, but my current indoor cat is awesome. Very non-destructive, fairly intelligent, sleeps on me at night, and likes nothing more than to hop up in my lap and stuff her nose in my face.

Now dogs, on the other hand, I have a dislike for. Slobbery nasty things that aren't self-cleaning like most cats.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 12-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #16
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think our cat ever has to lick its own ass. I am pretty sure the dog takes care of it for her.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
howlinowl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had a long-haired calico years ago, it was a stray that my dad found in the woods. Musta been left out there by someone who no longer wanted her. But she was the coolest cat. Only cat I've ever known that would actually come to you when you called her name. I still remember, I'd call "Bandit", and she'd turn to me, let out her little mew and come running. My ex girlfriend at the time used to remark that cat was more dog, than cat. I miss her (the cat, not the girlfriend).

Cat I had after that was completely opposite. Would run away when I approched it. Never paid attention to it's name. It came from the SPCA, so I wonder if it was just abused to hell and never trusted people again.

Allan

Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty

On Deck:

On Tap 1: Yuengling Traditional Lager
On Tap 2: Kayumanggi Ale (pronounced "Kai-you-mang-ghe) Tagalog for "Brown"
Various bottles and cans: San Miguel Premium Lager, Flying Dog Mix Pack, Sierra Nevada Brown Ale

Old 12-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford
I'm the one that cleans the cat box at home primarily because I have an (apparently odd) genetic trait that allows me to close off my nasal passages and completely block my sense of smell at will.
Man that sure would come in handy a couple of hours after dinner at the Mexican restaurant and a couple of Tecate's.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #19
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My cat is insane, and insanely retarded, she is untrainable, I have tried squirt guns and noise makers, nothing, she never listens. The thing doesn't even know her name, if I want its attention I just yell "hey you" and have just wound up calling her "kitten" as she never quite got the joke when I named her Bjorn Turoque (pronounced Born too-rock). If you don't immediately clean the stink out of the litter box, she thinks it is a good idea to piss in the bathtub.

She also thinks it is funny to attack your head when you least expect it, you'll be sitting there watching TV and BAM she starts clawing the back of your head. You go walking down the basement steps and she decides to attack your feet. For no reason she bites and claws your hands hard enough to draw blood, after drawing blood she then licks the wounds she just inflicted upon you. Not because she is sorry, no it is because she likes the taste of blood.

I found her in a construction site when she was about 5 weeks old caked in mud and soaked in oil. Legend has it that she was born in a pool of gasoline and raised by sewer rats. She is continually coming home with battle scars, and getting into fights with who knows what, my neighbor said she saw my cat come in to her yard attack her Boston Terrier at one point.

All I can say is that if I didn't love this cat I don't think that there is anyone else on the planet that could or would.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 12-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #20
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin' Lion
Women can get toxoplasmosis from gardening as well, that is what harms the unborn fetus.

EDIT: to say that cats carry toxoplasmosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Thanks for finding that. Some surprising information there. I love how gardening is problematic...... but only because of the stupid cats poop there!! I say everyone is a little allergic to cats because their dander is very fine and very pervasive. I didn't know I was allergic to them at all until i moved out of my parent's house and all of a sudden I could breathe in the mornings when I woke up and that "asthma" that I'd had for years went away in a week. I've heard similar story from many people.

I will say that there was one cat that really did earn its keep. A friend of mine has a metal shop that used to have a mouse problem. A ferrel cat started hanging about, and we used to feed it cat food only when it brought us mice. Wasn't long before "Momma" got to know the routine. She'd catch two or three mice a day and then leave for a few days. But that's the only one!

BTW cats clean themselves, but my dog is pretty smart. He will go around a mud puddle rather than through it He's all white, but I only have to bathe him two or three times a year.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Quick Reply