The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What equipment are you buying with tax return?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
Britinusa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm using my return to pay off some of the credit card I used to buy my wife's new wedding ring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
fergusmj
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Getting no tax return...per se. My wife's income is non-taxed and I maxed out my withholdings to plan to pay for some of her taxes that would be owed. We had also been socking away money in savings with the expectation of it going to cover taxes

Turns out there was a misunderstanding between our tax person and myself. We had $8,600 set back expecting to have to pay that and ended up actually only owing $2,600!!!! Now that's a hell of a mistake that makes you happy in the end

I will owe the government a fee since we owe so much, but it's only about $20, and we're now adjusted for this year.

This extra money is going to savings for our new house in the future and some current home improvements.

Kind of makes finding $1 in your pocket not as cool though

Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
naga77777
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeadPresident View Post
Zeroing out my CC debt and then buying the stuff for a Son Of Fermentation Chamber for my place, and for a wooden brew stand for the AG setup my friend and I are setting up at his. Not sure which I'm the most excited for.
If you're gonna build a foamboard ferm chamber, I highly recommend building a "38DD Mother of Fermentation" chamber. Google that term for instructions.

It shouldnt be much more than building the "son" chamber, and will hold 2 fermenters. I have one, and used a controller from coolerguys. I forget their site (may be coolerguys.com) but they specialize in cooling A/V equipment. The temp controller has plugs already mounted to it, and they have connectors that plug into 12v PC fans. Makes wiring a snap.

One piece of advice though, use an outer container to hold your frozen ice container. I use little shoebox-sized plastic totes/tubs. One day, after repeated freezing/thawing, the bottom of one cracked. I did not realize this because I put it in the chamber frozen. When I got home from work, it had leaked ALL over the floor, ruining the laminate flooring under my 38dd chamber. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohaz7331 View Post
Awesome good to hear everyone's new plans. On the cc debt I will also be paying off my cards before buying my new equipment.
Had quite a bit of CC debt to pay off myself. Thats the reason i didn't get as much brewstuff as I wanted.

Feels great knowing it's gone, but I'm just wondering how long it will take before I slowly start acquiring it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerfaninSanDiego View Post
that's what everyone should do.....why give them "$1000" interest free and get it back in April?
For some people who absolutely cannot save money (myself included) due to lack of restraint, this is actually not a bad idea.

My accountant guy who did my taxes said I was getting back too much, but if I'm not able to save on my own, this is a perfectly viable way to do it.

Also he said since the interest rates are crap anyways, I'm not losing any real money by giving Uncle Sam this "interest-free loan." I got back a LOT this year (say between 6 and 7 grand), and he said it would have only made me about 70 dollars in interest.

I'm fine with that, knowing that I would have blown every penny of that money.
Secondary 1: Skeeter Pee
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Two Hearted Clone, Graff, BM Centennial Blonde (again :) )

Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Thinking about a fermentation chamber. Last summer was really hot in the north east and I had some pretty funky esters.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
DougK
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
I will be buying nothing with my tax refund as I should not be getting one. If everything goes as planned, I should owe $1 in taxes. I hate giving the government an interest free loan of my money by overpaying my taxes throughout the year.
I really need to optimize my withholdings like this as well. I had a much larger refund than I was expecting, and I could do much more with the extra money every month than it does to receive a windfall once a year.

Hopefully I can get it nailed down.

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #26
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm getting a new Fox CTD Boost Valve shock for my Yeti 575. The remainder of the loot will go to pay off my only credit card. After that debt is paid off, I only have another 2 grand to go on my Tacoma and about $115K to go before the bank lets me have my house free and clear.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

The only reason I get a tax return is because if my mortgage interest payments deduction.

We are using it to buy a new mattress and bed frame for our room! When you are married you don't get to use your tax return for toys or beer stuff.

Next up: English Pale Ale (ESB)
Primary 1&2: White Zombie (Amarillo IPA)
Primary 3&4: Summer Kolsch
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Amber Rain (Dry Hopped Amber Ale), SM Belgian Golden Strong

Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
UnDeadPresident
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga77777 View Post
If you're gonna build a foamboard ferm chamber, I highly recommend building a "38DD Mother of Fermentation" chamber. Google that term for instructions....
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check that one out later - Not googling "38DD Mother..." at work.

Rye IPA, Citra Pale Ale, ESB, CO Pale/Simcoe SMaSH

"Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world."
- Wilhelm II of Germany
naga77777 Likes This 
Old 02-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #29
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I'm not 100% convinced we are getting a check back from the government this year. We may end up owing a few thousand. I need to get an appointment with my tax guy soon and get working on that.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #30
biohaz7331
Brew Addict
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ha ha I am engaged so I get to spend a little on brewing and toys I kind of like the return system because it gives you a little chunk sometimes. I agree with what was said that I would probably spend the money if I had it throughout the year.

Quick Reply