Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What do you want?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
Wolf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What do you want?

This questions pisses me off to no end. Not always, just in this circumstance.

Last summer I went to Indianapolis for a convention. Nice city, nice people, but I encountered the same thing in EVERY bar and restaurant I went into.
'Can I get you something to drink?'
Having reviewed what they have on tap, I ask 'Yeah, what bottle beers do you have'
'What do you want, I'll tell you if we have it'
Grrrrrrr, look, if you aren't going to have a beer list somewhere you better be damn well prepared to rattle off what beers you have, especially at a bar and grill!

Same thing happened here at our work Christmas party. This was at a bar, mind you, not a restaurant. I was happy with the Guiness on tap, but SWMBO wasn't thrilled with the tap selection, so I asked the same question.
'Uh, we have lots, what do you want?'
So we started making requests, guess what, they didn't have 'lots'.

So I coached her on her next trip to the bar. 'Just ask what they have in bottles besides Miller and Bud'.
Still not that helpful, but after the third or fourth name mentioned she stops the bartender and says 'I'll have that'. Guess what, they're out.
The worse thing is my co-workers 'jokingly' giving us a hard time about giving the bartender a hard time. Hard time?! Hell, we're just asking what they have, it's not my fault the person who serves the drinks for a living doesn't know what they have?

Is it just me being too picky, am I expecting to too much, or is this a legit gripe others have?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I think it's perfectly legit. Most people (not those around here) get locked into drinking a particular type of beer, and that's THEIR beer - people who drink just MGD, or Bud Light, or Coors. They have their beer, that's what they want, and they have no desire to try something new.

For me (and I would suspect 99.99% of the people here), we like to experiment. I like going to a nice place and seeing that they have the Titan IPA on tap, since I've never had it. Went out a few months ago, and I'd never had a Tripple - but they had one on tap, so I tried it. Even at a Christmas party, I don't always know exactly what I want, I might feel like something different, something I haven't had in a while; how are you going to know unless you either get a list or the barkeep actually knows (and communicates) what they have available?

Perfectly legitimate bitch, my man!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I think it's perfectly legit. Most people (not those around here) get locked into drinking a particular type of beer, and that's THEIR beer - people who drink just MGD, or Bud Light, or Coors. They have their beer, that's what they want, and they have no desire to try something new.

For me (and I would suspect 99.99% of the people here), we like to experiment. I like going to a nice place and seeing that they have the Titan IPA on tap, since I've never had it. Went out a few months ago, and I'd never had a Tripple - but they had one on tap, so I tried it. Even at a Christmas party, I don't always know exactly what I want, I might feel like something different, something I haven't had in a while; how are you going to know unless you either get a list or the barkeep actually knows (and communicates) what they have available?

Perfectly legitimate bitch, my man!
Yes, thats EXACTLY it. We eventually found out they had some local Capital and Lakefront beers we hadn't tried before. And in Indianapolis especially I wanted to see if they had anything local that I wouldn't even know to ask for. I guess I should just ask if they have anything local in that situation.

And I've learned that you can't tell by the beer signs. Half the time they'll have brewery signs that turn out to be strictly decorative, sicne they don't carry the beer.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One way to solve this is to hunt down a really kick aZZ bar that shares this same desire to expand one's beer-horizons. The type of place where they chuckle along with the others at the bar when someone orders a Miller Lite.

If you are ever in Boston, (Bird in particular, do you ever venture into the city?) I'd recommend the Sunset Grill. Their Brighton Ave location usually has at least 80 beers on tap and at least as many in bottles. They usually have Cask Ale also. Thee is also a location on Commomwealth Avenue that has a smaller, but still huge, collection.

I've been in the situation you are describing many times. Bartenders who don't drink and understand beer other than BMC are like carpenters who can only frame a house with nail guns and pre-engineered lumber systems. There really don't even know how to do their actual job.....

Old 12-29-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
If you are ever in Boston, (Bird in particular, do you ever venture into the city?) I'd recommend the Sunset Grill. Their Brighton Ave location usually has at least 80 beers on tap and at least as many in bottles. They usually have Cask Ale also. Thee is also a location on Commomwealth Avenue that has a smaller, but still huge, collection.
Very rarely, unfortunately. BUT, there are some absolutely SPLENDID bars in Northampton and Amherst, some of the best in the country, so I'm not especially lacking when I want to go out.

Which may be this weekend; the M-I-L is in town, she may be on babysitting duty.....

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Just start making up beer names and ask them to go check if they have it until that gets old.

"Yes, can you see if they have a St Jim's Amber Pils Stout?"

I hate that they make you pick one as if you'ld only like a dark beer if you picked a stout or a pils if you picked anything with a light SRM.

Can you imagine if a restaurant didn't give you a menu and just asked you what you'ld like to eat? If you said beef and they never mentioned the freshly caught Walleye special?

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-29-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My favorite is

Oh imported? Sure, we have Sam Adams, and Sierra Nevada

Old 12-29-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I feel your pain wolf. Its a PITA playing guess-the-beer at an unfamiliar bar.

When I was in St Louis a couple years back I got the same knee slapper at a couple bars and restaurants. I asked if they carried local beer, they said sure budwewiser, bud light...

Hardy freekin har

- magno

Old 12-29-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Even worse than "What do you want? I'll see if we have it..."

This happened at a local restaurant - a rather nice one:
"What's on tap?"
"Umm, I don't really know. I think we have like Bud or something and some other ones I never heard of."
"Well, can you find out?"
Begrudgingly, "Umm, I guess so."

Old 12-29-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Here's a related thread. The server butchering the beer name/style: