Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What do you love about your LHBS?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default What do you love about your LHBS?

Yah know I was just sitting here enjoying a little alone time (something I don't get very often) And was thinking about my store and other LHBS stores around the nation. I am ALWAYS trying to make my store better for my customers both in house and online and I was wondering what exactly it is you totally LOVE about your LHBS? My store is fairly new and of course it can be improved upon for sure. If you could say 1 thing, taking customer service out of it because we always try and make that #1, but other than that is there a product or a procedure or anything really that your LHBS does or has in stock, that can help me make my place better for you and for my in house customers?

I think this thread will help you as the customers and all of us LHBS owners alike. We can all learn a few things here and gain from the input.

Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com
bmeulebroeck Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
neosapien
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 395

The guys that work there are awesome. Always friendly (usually hungover) and helpful. If they don't have what I need in the store, they'll order it special for me. They trade me my backyard hops for free grain. Oh, and I get a 10% discount just because.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosapien View Post
The guys that work there are awesome. Always friendly (usually hungover) and helpful. If they don't have what I need in the store, they'll order it special for me. They trade me my backyard hops for free grain. Oh, and I get a 10% discount just because.
They trade you your back yard hops for free grain? Really? What do they do with the hops?

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers
Jay

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 07-21-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 395

probably brew with them I've never thought to ask, really.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3467 Times on 3182 Posts
Likes Given: 350

They have this big fancy mill and scale and will weigh out the *exact* amount, exactly. It's kind of their thing. They have this scale and they want you to know they can weigh stuff, exactly. You want a pound? How about 1.07 pounds? We can weight that.

They have all sorts of grains and hops and yeasts. Even when I know what I want, I still look around to see what they have. Whole leaf hops. I'm hooked on that now, and I'm not even a hop head.

Every part and every piece of every part. Need a lid with a grommet? They have it. Just need the grommet? They have it.

And you wanna make some weird stuff with snowberries and the wings of a moth? It's like an apothecary in there. No spelt though. But if you wanna brew with oats, holy cow, what kind of oats?

The other one I go to is really a home brew corner in a general store. They have a homemade mill and you're pretty much on your own. I like that place because it's in and out and still has everything I need.

I'm not picky. Sell me what I need at a decent price and I'm on my way.

Jaybird Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've always loved the invaluable professional advice, they take time to talk to you and tell you what you need instead of selling you crap that you don't. Now they have their license for brewing and now brew and serve there own beer, you can drink a pint while shopping!

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Jaybird Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Thanks for this thread Jaybird, as a new LHBS owner i am definitely interested in what i can do to keep customers coming back, my goal thus far has been to make it a place where I would like to shop, but there is always more to learn and do to keep customers happy with their experience.

My eherms build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/rea...course-325623/

Help support my new LHBShttp://www.facebook.com/socalhomebrewing

Jaybird Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2573 Times on 1646 Posts
Likes Given: 5043

for me, one's an hour away (we'll cal A) and the other is 45 minutes away (we'll call B). A has 50 & 55 pound sacks of base malt, but a poor yeast selection. they have a fair amount of gear/equipment, but poor specialty malt selection. they are geared more toward wine and know little about beer. B has a poor equipment selection, but they have a great malt selection & decent yeast selection. they will also sell you any grain they have in 50-55 pound sack if you want. they have nothing for wine. another plus for B is that they are a brewery with a tap room. but my favorite LHBS was in Wyoming. whatever you wanted, they would get it for you. they were very laid back, held demonstrations, and would always want to trade home brews with any customer that was willing. they weren't very knowledgeable when they first opened their doors, but learned quite a lot in a very short time and would give solid advice on what they knew and ask about what they didn't. I miss Pour Brothers.

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...
Jaybird Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #9
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
Thanks for this thread Jaybird, as a new LHBS owner i am definitely interested in what i can do to keep customers coming back, my goal thus far has been to make it a place where I would like to shop, but there is always more to learn and do to keep customers happy with their experience.

You bet man that is what its all about. As a business owner we WANT to help our customers. I mean if we didn't we shouldn't have ever opened out doors to them.

Thanks for all the info so far guys!

Cheers
Jay

bmeulebroeck Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #10
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
My lhbs has a local professional brewer working on weekends, I love talking to him, even if you can bring one or two in to give a free talk would be good.

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Quick Reply