Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What do you do for a living?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
AllHoppedUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
rather make 1/2 the $$$$ and be happy.
That's what it's all about brother. My current job isn't very challenging AND it doesn't pay very much money but I'm a slave to geography. I love the town and region that I live in and it's what I'm able to do after the work day is done that makes my job bearable.

AHU

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #12
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Sounds very familiar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
been picky and taking my time. trying to avoid getting sucked back into the petrochemical industry. too much stress and BS. rather make 1/2 the $$$$ and be happy.
I have to say that when I was in IT... I was not happy. It had it's moments, but was very stressfull. I felt like I had to watch my back constantly for a knife. I AM making half the money. I'm not happy about that part, but my wife would not want me going bak to IT for anything.

Many have asked me how I do my job. It's very challenging as well but in other ways. Working in a nursing home is by far not for everyone. You have to deal with death a lot obviously. Seeing pain and disease. Seeing what children and spouces do with thier loved ones. Being around people who constantly need something is incredibly draining. Picture 8 hours a day with 50 grandma's and you get the idea This month will be year two for me. Would not be anywhere else.

My suggestion. Take your time. Take all the time you need. I worked a couple of part time BS jobs till I found what I was looking for. This job I'm in now actually came out of a part time BS job. Just kinda fell in my lap. It's so easy to make this kind of change when you don't already have a job. The most important thing is to keep your eyes open. Not having a job can be depressing.... and if you dont have your eyes open, you will miss something.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 01-27-2006, 10:43 PM   #13
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Retired after 37 years of pushing bits. Now I'm in the middle of bringing a new consumer gadget to market. Nothing like betting a quarter million of your retirement funds on an entirely new idea to boost one's need for homebrew!

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-27-2006, 11:24 PM   #14
AllHoppedUp
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Retired after 37 years of pushing bits. Now I'm in the middle of bringing a new consumer gadget to market. Nothing like betting a quarter million of your retirement funds on an entirely new idea to boost one's need for homebrew!
Wow, whattcha sellin'?

Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 PM   #15
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm the resident IT guy (but, thankfully, not in a managment position). Network admin, desktop support, in-house tech support, etc. Don't get paid a ton, but I don't have to do much most of the time (with the occasional exception like today, working late)

Old 01-27-2006, 11:51 PM   #16
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybrew
How'd you guess that was the painful part?
I would have thought is was when the poachers beat the crap out of you.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 01-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #17
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybrew
How'd you guess that was the painful part?
Sometimes you just want to yell; "JELLY IS ON THE MARKET! ITS IN EVERY DRUG STORE!!!! USE IT!!!"

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 01-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #18
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Schaap
My suggestion. Take your time. Take all the time you need. I worked a couple of part time BS jobs till I found what I was looking for. This job I'm in now actually came out of a part time BS job. Just kinda fell in my lap. It's so easy to make this kind of change when you don't already have a job. The most important thing is to keep your eyes open. Not having a job can be depressing.... and if you dont have your eyes open, you will miss something.
thanks for the words guys. i've had some really good interviews lately, some with potential for good $$$ (like Swagelok) and others for okay $$$ (Progressive Insurance). just looking for something that i will enjoy. i want to work to live, not live to work.

good luck to all, in whatever it is you want.

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-28-2006, 04:31 AM   #19
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Joined the Milwaukee Fire Deparment 10 years ago this March 25th, then in January '99 had the city pay me to go to paramedic school. Nothing like having the city pay for getting a 2 year degree in 6 months and getting paid the whole time while not going to your normal job. Rode a paramedic ambulance for 5 1/2 years and finally got assinged to a fire engine again.

Never thought I would be a firefighter/paramedic. After 5 years in the US Navy being a air traffic controller I took a nice 6 month break, worked at a charter airline for a year (HATED it), then did the factory thing for about 2 years befor I decided turning big pieces of cast iron into smaller pieces of cast iron wasnt my thing. I noticed my brother-in-law was making pretty decent money and seemed to never be at work so figured what the hell.

I'll never be rich but I only work about 8 days a month and make enuff I dont have to have (or want) a 2nd job. Oh yeah and running into someone's house, busting the hell out of their windows, walls and roof, throwing their couch out the door and filling their first floor with enuff water it looks like they have a water fall coming out thier front door -OR- jamming them full of needles and tubes while beating on their chest and having them say thnx is kinda fun too - Try it at your in-laws, they may not say Thnx but it's fun anway

Besides who else on this site can say you can say not only can they brew beer at work but have the pople at work ask when you are bringing in your stuff to make a new batch?

Old 01-28-2006, 04:36 AM   #20
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

pretty cool pumbaa. sounds like you have a good thing going..

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Quick Reply