What do you call that 4th and 18 play.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you call that 4th and 18 play?

• Hook and Lateral

• Hook and Ladder

• Either, Its colloquial

• Both terms are unsafe at any speed.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Okay, this has been bugging me since the end of the Fiesta Bowl.

Hook and Lateral
Hook and Ladder

I believe that the first is correct, but I've heard sportscasters say both. Yeah, I know they mostly just read teleprompters and they often call a simple reverse play a "double reverse".

This ranks right up there with the "That guy stepped out of bounce," cries I hear (mostly in NFC North Games) when they mean Out of Bounds.

Vote!

FP8_18_04.png

Another one that pisses me off: Shovel pass VS. Shuffle pass. I said Hook and Ladder above, I say Shuffle here.

I've always heard it as "shovel," since it's kind of a shovelling motion. And I distinctly remember it being referred to as "hook and ladder" in "Varsity Blues," and that's the resident authority in my book. :D

the_bird said:
I've always heard it as "shovel," since it's kind of a shovelling motion. And I distinctly remember it being referred to as "hook and ladder" in "Varsity Blues," and that's the resident authority in my book. :D

he's right on both counts. I would like to see the Shovel and Ladder play? Or maybe Hook and Pass? :D

The building block for this play is a hook route followed by a lateral.

Unless you have some firefighting or medieval siege tactic analogy, I ain't buying Hook and Ladder.

and no. there was no fight scene in gladiator where one guy had a hook and the other guy had a ladder.

and it's not the Statute of Liberty Play, kramer.

Had to go with Hook and Ladder.

Even tho it's lateral I still think of it like climbing a ladder because you're kind of like climbing the gridiron...

But "gridiron" is a whole other thread. :drunk:

Pardon me, drinking have been I.

Ize

Both Hook & Ladder and Hook & Lateral are correct, however, most people know this as the former. The pass is a shovel pass. I've never heard it referred to as a shuffle pass, not even from John "Captain Obvious" Madden.

Ol' Grog said:
No comment.

I thought your comment in the other thread was an excellent analysis. Very well spoken.

The Sooners should be proud of thier season and proud to have fans like you.

Here it is an case anyone missed it.

Ol' Grog said:
Big SOONER fan here, but all this David and Goliath stuff is media hype. You can ask any true Sooner fan and we'll all say the same thing. We weren't ready for a BCS bowl. Too many issues that needed to be worked out prior to a game of that caliber. Losing that Oregon was almost like a blessing in disguise. Why you may ask? That would have put us right up there with USC, PSU, Michigan, Florida and there is no way in hell that we would have ever dreamed of defeating any of those teams. When we drew BSU, we felt a little better, but these guys were undefeated and they didn't get there by being wimpy. It's been a great season for the Sooners with all the initial adversity and then mid-season injuries that I for one, was absolutely shocked we landed in the big 12 championship. And then won that game. Sometimes you have to be careful for what you wish for. I was proud the way OU came back but felt bad the way we started off playing. I will say this and others will say the same, if that game would have been played a week after regular season, the outcome would have been much different. Not saying we would have won, just saying not playing for so long just takes the wind out of your sails. Why is there such a long wait? Must be money related.

I'm still very proud of the Sooners regardless. To achieve what they did with every single odd against them is an statement to dedication.

If you'd ask any Sooner fan at the beginner of the year when Rhett was released, that we'd win the big 12 championship and play at the Fiesta Bowl, and especially after AD got injured, we would have laughed our collective arshes off.

Latest posts

Back