Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What Book(s) Are You Reading?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
BraveSirRobin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What Book(s) Are You Reading?

What books are you guys reading? I'm going to be in a car for 18 hours this weekend so I'm looking for some reading material to kill some time. I just finished reading "The Last Ridge", which I thought was an interesting and entertaining read about the US Army's mountain rangers during World War 2. After that I just flew through "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" as a fun read, but now I'm looking for something that requires actual thinking. Anyway, I'm just rambling now. What are some good books that you guys are currently reading or just read?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I'm reading this right now and its excellent: http://www.amazon.com/Joker-One-Platoons-Leadership-Brotherhood/dp/0812979567/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277152606&sr=8-1

It is a memoir written by a marine platoon leader about of his tours in Iraq. It is almost completely void of politics which is nice. It's a great read.

EDIT - This is also excellent and one of the best books I've read in a while: http://www.amazon.com/Final-Frontier.../dp/0743453131

Last edited by Bopper; 06-21-2010 at 08:44 PM.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Requires actual thinking?

Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter
Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
The Evolution of Cooperation by Robert Axelrod
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdani

Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Reading:
Earth: The Sequel - Fred Krupp and Miriam Horn

Recent:
The Big Short - Michael Lewis
Liar's Poker - Michael Lewis
A few Malcom Gladwell books
The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945 - Josh Toland

And if you're really into something strange, either:
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami, or
House of Leaves by Danielewski

Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #5
Styles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm just finishing off "Kingdom of Fear" by Hunter S Thompson, bought it at the airport a couple of months ago when traveling for work. Off on my honeymoon next week, so will be reading a couple of Lee Child books then.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Ragutis
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewing up a Business by Sam Calagione.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
JadeMonkeyStang
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm reading "The First American" by H. W. Brands, a biography of Benjamin Franklin that's really engaging. There are some very interesting points made about how various historical figures, especially Franklin of course, were perceived in their time versus how they are seen now. It really will give you some things to think about concerning some of histories most notable personalities and we came to think of them the way we do.

I'm also reading "My Life in France" by Julia Child, an autobiography about her time learning to cook and about the time she spent writing her book, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking". I wouldn't say this book will make you do much heavy thinking but it's a fun look into the history and mind of one of this centuries most unique and beloved ladies.

I am not normally into biographies or autobiographies but somehow fell into reading the two of these at the same time. I don't find either of them nearly as dry as the genre can be but I was also interested in both people well before I started reading.

Last edited by JadeMonkeyStang; 06-21-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Right now I'm reading two books for a second time, Jesus Lived in India and The Reformation (from my college days back in the '80s).

I just finished another Steve Berry book, The Alexandria Link. I read a few others by him that were also pretty good, The Charlemagne Pursuit and The Templar Legacy. All of them have the same main character. I'm not really into books of that nature since you almost feel compelled to buy and read the others, especially if they are in a series, which these are not, but characters do overlap into other books. I guess that saves reading and writing time since you don't have to reintroduce new characters and their backgrounds.

I also finished another by Richard D'Agostino called the Rite of Passage.

They are all pretty much the same with some global trottig adventures with treasure hunting and religious references (speculative, not mainstream).

JadeMonkeyStang: Go rent the movie Julie and Julia...it's a lot about Julia Childs during that same time period.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 06-21-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #9
Ashz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Finishing up A Peoples history of the United states of America, Howard Zinn. On deck is going to be either God delusion by Dawkins or Gravity's rainbow, Thomas pynchon. Haven't decided yet.

-------
The universe is wider than our views of it.
-Henry David Thoreau

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
BraveSirRobin
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just got back from the library. I picked up Oil! by Upton Sinclair and As I Lay Dying by Faulkner. I want to start reading some classical authors as I haven't read any books from that genre outside of required reading in school. I started reading the latter book and it seems like it's going to be a really quick read. I'm not sure if it's been made into a movie yet, but if it hasn't it seems like the type of book that would make a seamless transition to the big screen. It could be a really good character study type of movie.

Quick Reply