Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > What are beer laws and beer selection like where you're from?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #11
mikebowman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer
Last time I went to Canada I was shocked at how expensive the alcohol is. Couldn't find anything decent. Just some regular beers and it was $50 a case. I guess that's what happens when you have free health care.
Depends where in Canada you went. Quebec is cheaper, nova scotia is on the expensive side. But yes, beer here is generally more expensive that in the states

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #12
snowveil
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Here in south central PA we're kind of hit or miss because we have some GREAT local craft brewers but also some ridiculous laws. I've got Troegs, Victory, Weyerbacher, and a ton of other local breweries nearby with some great beer.

The laws, however, leave a lot to be desired. A store that can carry cases of beer can NOT sell in any quantity less than a case of 24, nor can they sell liquor or wine. A store that sells wine/liquor can NOT sell beer. A store that sells six packs and/or individual bottles must also have a restaurant on premises, and can not sell beer in larger quantities than two six-packs at a time (I'm sure it's broken down to actual volumetric quantities, but I think a general rule is 2 sixers).

I still get a pretty decent selection of beer available to me, but unfortunately taxes and high operating costs for owners cause pricing to skyrocket. $12-13 for a "standard" craft beer is not unheard of. The local shop sells 22oz beers for anywhere from $6 at the cheapest upwards of $15-$20 depending on the rarity and style. A local shop has Duvel Tripel Hop for $26.50 per bottle

Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #13
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 840 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

New York City

I have it pretty good here, other than the taxes.

Bars are open until 4am. Liqour stores can sell anything, but usually don't have beer for some reason. Supermarkets, deli's and gas stations can all sell beer and some wines, just no liquors. The only Sunday restriction is no alcohol before 12pm, stupid, but not that big of a deal.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 AM   #14
GeoGirl
Recipes 

Seems like the laws a tweaked based on the village orders within the county. A couple villages over from me, the grocery stores can not sell any alcohol after 10pm. The village where I work, if you are in a restaurant and order a bottle of wine to share between 2 people, the bottle can not be kept at the table. Only 1 alcoholic beverage per person is allowed.

In another county, there is one town where the stores are not allowed to hold a liquor license. There is only one liquor store in the town and that is your only choice. This was because the owner of the liquor store was the mayor years ago and he fixed it so he had no competition .

When you get down state, there is at least one county I know of that goes mostly blue on Sundays. The only place you can buy alcohol on Sunday is in an Applebee's.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
dfc

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 132

The laws are very relaxed outside of drunk driving (which I have no problem with) and the selection is near infinite. I can't get anything by Founders though. That sucks.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #16
dfc

Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer View Post
In Ohio you can buy everything everyday except you can't buy wine or liquor until 1 PM on Sundays. Not sure why this is but it seems to be the only restriction we have. Anyone can sell beer, wine and low proof liquor (CVS, grocery stores, gas stations, etc). Only liquor stores can sell hard liquor, but we have liquor stores in our grocery stores. Liquor stores can sell any products they wish (food, mixers, soda). Bars close at 2:30AM. Seems like Ohio has good laws surrounding purchasing of alcohol...I've never had any problems getting it. Now if we could just legalize something else
Can you guys buy Everclear yet? I'm originally from Dayton and always had to drive to Indiana to get it.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
Hoodweisen
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

my small town in missouri has two liquor stores that are also sporting good stores so you can go in get a pistol some bullets and fifth. We all grew up thinking that was normal but when you go other places and tell people they think your lying!!!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
quadbikerjosh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

man i didnt realize how good i had it. im from carson city nv. everything is legal here; furthermore widley excepted! gambiling, prostitutes, booze. and cheap too. a handle of jack usually runs around $24. a 12 pack of guinnes is about 15 bucks and so on. in fact the last gun i bought was a revolver from a sporting goods store. i asked for a particular revolver, the man went in back and handed it to me and said "when your done with your shopping you can bring this to any register" i proceded to walk around the store with my merchandise and finish shopping. then i went to go check out and purchase my new 44. revolver. i didnt get a single strange or concerned look. rather i was complimented on my selection.

not to say i partake in sleeping with prostitutes or boozing on hard liquor. but god bless freedom.

hoodweisen> yep thats a typical saturday afternoon for most of us out here actually. if you go to california, people s!#t bricks over that kinda stuff.

crayons taste like purple!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
lastsecondapex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer
In Ohio you can buy everything everyday except you can't buy wine or liquor until 1 PM on Sundays. Not sure why this is but it seems to be the only restriction we have. Anyone can sell beer, wine and low proof liquor (CVS, grocery stores, gas stations, etc). Only liquor stores can sell hard liquor, but we have liquor stores in our grocery stores. Liquor stores can sell any products they wish (food, mixers, soda). Bars close at 2:30AM. Seems like Ohio has good laws surrounding purchasing of alcohol...I've never had any problems getting it. Now if we could just legalize something else
I grew up in Cincinnati and while there is good variety, Ohio caps ABV in beer at 13.99%, no really big brews. Sc is similar but that cap is lax. We can easily find Avery Meph, The Beast, BrewDog Tokio... Florida has the best laws in the union on beer distribution IMO

Old 04-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #20
TheBroonery
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowveil View Post
Here in south central PA we're kind of hit or miss because we have some GREAT local craft brewers but also some ridiculous laws. I've got Troegs, Victory, Weyerbacher, and a ton of other local breweries nearby with some great beer.

The laws, however, leave a lot to be desired. A store that can carry cases of beer can NOT sell in any quantity less than a case of 24, nor can they sell liquor or wine. A store that sells wine/liquor can NOT sell beer. A store that sells six packs and/or individual bottles must also have a restaurant on premises, and can not sell beer in larger quantities than two six-packs at a time (I'm sure it's broken down to actual volumetric quantities, but I think a general rule is 2 sixers).

I still get a pretty decent selection of beer available to me, but unfortunately taxes and high operating costs for owners cause pricing to skyrocket. $12-13 for a "standard" craft beer is not unheard of. The local shop sells 22oz beers for anywhere from $6 at the cheapest upwards of $15-$20 depending on the rarity and style. A local shop has Duvel Tripel Hop for $26.50 per bottle

I went to Duquesne and thought it was pretty odd that you could only buy beer by the case... like that's going to reduce consumption or something. I did kind of like it because buying in bulk made things cheaper. I know PA has some wacky blue laws when it comes to alcohol, but compared to Montgomery County, MD the prices and availability were all much much better. Last time I was in Pittsburgh, I found a bar on the South Side that specializes in craft beer!

I remember driving over to the WV border with my fraternity brothers to buy grain alcohol for parties. That stuff is legal in MD, and I use it in my airlocks!

Quick Reply