The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #891
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollisBT View Post
I have only recently been able to shave atg, and my neck has always been my hardest area to shave properly. What you are saying sounds somewhat normal in my opinion. I would suggest trying more wtg passes and taking a little more time with it.

Using a safety razor or straight blade takes a bit more time and patience than using a cartridge razor. And that being said, don't feel locked into it, if you feel that shaving isn't the hobby for you and you are adequately happy with a m3 or the like, then by all means go with what makes you happy . But I do think that a little more time and patience would make you happy with your DE.
I rarely bother with ATG on my neck for these exact reasons. I do a WTG, and XTG, then pull my skin tight and to either side of my adams apple and repeat another XTG to get a good clean shave.

Sometimes the best solution is to ease up on trying to get BBS and go easy for a while, let yourself heal and then start back up slowly, the only time I shoot for full BBS instead of just BBS face is when I am going out on the town on the weekend with my wife. if I try to repeat that BBS shave the next day my neck responds by getting red, a few bumps, some weepers then day two those bumps tend to get shaved off and my neck gets progressively worse each day..

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #892
EoinMag
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I've been using a simple Wilkinson Sword Classic DE with Wilkinson Sword blades. I ordered 30 feathers off of ebay...wow, they are a completely different experience, it's almost like you're not shaving they are that sharp.

You didn't say you didn't love me, when you were stretched out across my bed
You're drinkin' moonshine whisky and talking all outta your head.
Rory Gallagher - Pistol Slapper Blues (Trad)

Old 01-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #893
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangulum33 View Post
I've tried what you guys have said and use very little pressure.
I'm actually really enjoying the shaving except for the spots to the left and right of my adam's apple. At these spots, I go wtg then xtg, but it doesnt get hardly any stubble leaving all the cutting to be done atg. Then when I go atg on those spots, the razor either skips/chatters or pulls or nicks.

With my Mach 3, I can apply a little pressure and the atg shaves close and I dont get irritation or cuts.
I have a spot on the right side, near the chin, just under the jaw line that's like that. It grows straight back towards my ear, and my XTG pass in that area, if unmodified, ends up being an ATG pass. So for that area, I shave at a 45* angle down toward the left side of my face and it's a mix of XTG and ATG. Seems to work out. I usually get it cleaned up pretty well on the touch-up passes after doing the W- X- ATG passes.

I'm excited to try a Feather. I have a 5 pack from a sampler I'm looking forward to trying.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 01-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #894
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I've tried what you guys have said and use very little pressure.
I'm actually really enjoying the shaving except for the spots to the left and right of my adam's apple. At these spots, I go wtg then xtg, but it doesnt get hardly any stubble leaving all the cutting to be done atg. Then when I go atg on those spots, the razor either skips/chatters or pulls or nicks.

With my Mach 3, I can apply a little pressure and the atg shaves close and I dont get irritation or cuts.
take a night and actually figure out what direction the hairs are growing. it may change direction half an inch down or to the right.

If after a few more tries the Merkur isn't working out, let it sit for a bit and come back to it. If it still doesn't work, ebay it.

Do you have any other blades to try besides the Feathers or Merkurs? I'm not a fan of either blade. If you want, I'll mail you a five pack of ASTRA SPs, I have a couple boxes lying around

Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #895
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I picked up a cheap Lord premium razor (Amazon.com: Lord Premium Safety Razor Model LP1822L aka L6: Health & Personal Care) The head is pretty much the same as the Merkur 38.

DE shaving is a different world! Second shave was better than first, just need to find that right light/no pressure, and experiment with some other blades. Only having issues with my neck and only the right side. Really not used to this 1 pass, almost no pressure shaving it's GREAT!

Haven't worked up the courage to shave my head with it yet... that could turn bloody quick!

My local walmart carries 1 brand of DE blades (Wilkinson Sword blades I think), need to check some pharmacies for other choices. currently using the 1 lord blade that came with razor.

How many shaves can I expect a blade to last? I generally shave every other day but should probably shave daily as I'm pretty scruffy by end of day 2. just had to go back a few pages~ thanks!

Quote:
How many shaves (on average) does a blade last?
Varies by individual. Some get 5 or more shaves, others get 1 or 2. Depends how course your hair is and what blade is being used.

I just keep using the same blade until I can feel it tug at the hair.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 01-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #896
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Had a lovely shave this morning using a Feather for the first time. Unreal how easily that this slides across my face. Had a few weepers here and there, but nothing uncomfortable or that didn't clear up with a splash of aftershave. This was on two days of growth. If things go well tomorrow morning, I might be done looking for blades.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #897
Mike37
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I'm an avid wet shaver, myself. Love it. Currently using a Gillette Fat Boy from 1967 with Feather blades.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #898
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike37
I'm an avid wet shaver, myself. Love it. Currently using a Gillette Fat Boy from 1967 with Feather blades.
Sure it's not a Slim? I didn't think they made the Fat Boy that late into the 60s.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #899
Mike37
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer

Sure it's not a Slim? I didn't think they made the Fat Boy that late into the 60s.
Yep, it's a Fat Boy. It used to be my dad's. He had the case and everything it came with.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #900
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hi guys. You may remember a few posts back I talked about a handle I did for someone. Well, he picked his favorite and left me with the other two. I'm not quite ready to start wet shaving yet, so if any of y'all want one of these, PM me. $15 each, shipped CONUS. If you want me to source and glue in a knot, we can work that out.

They're oak, finished with polyurethane and wax.

-Joe

Quick Reply