Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #781
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I started wet shaving around Labor Day weekend. My wife said the skin looks better, less irritated, and I definitely have far fewer ingrown hairs, down from every shave to the occasional. I'm sure the blade plays a part, but I'm also taking better care of my skin by just following the general routine that goes with wet shaving.

I have found there aren't many blades I don't like, but I do not care for Derby blades. I get the tugging and pulling on the first shave.

Blades I do like are blue Gillette 7 O'Clock, Astra SPs, Red Personnas, and Crystals. I still have a few more in the drawer to try.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I can get a close, comfortable shave with just about any blade on a couple days worth of growth, it's the shave 24 hours later that shows whether a blade is comfortable or not.

I didn't have time for a shower and wet shave last Saturday and I gave the electric a spin...that was miserable.

My beard grows a little crazy as well and I haven't tried the "Method Shaving" yet, but a routine of 4 passes of WXA and a touch up seems to work well for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #782
Conan
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts

I began straight shaving after years of cartridges about a month ago. Other than the slicing and dicing, my face is so much smoother and less dry than before. And the razor burn is so much less. It's great! Kyle

Old 12-16-2011, 05:40 AM   #783
Jayblefty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hate shaving my face but Love shaving my head! Last summer I made the switch to wet shaving with a 60's Gillette safety razor. Seriously cut back on razor burn and neck irritation! My Wife hooks me up and keeps my head smooth and the safety razor with a fresh double edge blade is as good as it gets! I have a boar brush and usually use wilkinson blades. One thing I have found that helps is using vitamin E oil to condition my hair just before shaving. A lot of people use fancy shave oils, but I like cheap un scented vitamin E....

Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #784
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Vitamin E huh? There are several of us who use extra virgin olive oil, I buy it for cooking and stash a little bottle of it in the bathroom for shaving. I add a few drops to my lather bowl before building my lather, if I am using my straight I apply a few drops directly to my beard before I shave.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 12-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #785
Jayblefty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ya I get a nice size bottle for about $4 and use it on my Lobes daily (I have them stretched to 38mm) and I rub my head down with it before I shave, after I shower. It's cheap, good for the skin and helps that razor guide nice and easy...

Old 12-18-2011, 01:13 AM   #786
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Tomorrow in my travels I'm going to look for a bottle, a corner drug store should have that sort of thing.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #787
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob
Tomorrow in my travels I'm going to look for a bottle, a corner drug store should have that sort of thing.
I use a travel flip top bottle and mix up a 3:1 ratio of olive oil to baby oil I mix with my lather. Seems to work well.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #788
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
I use a travel flip top bottle and mix up a 3:1 ratio of olive oil to baby oil I mix with my lather. Seems to work well.
So do you hate me for pushing you along in getting you into wet shaving with a DE??

Old 12-20-2011, 06:13 AM   #789
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I don't hate you guys for it but I don't love you either. More like I *might* buy you a beer if you came into town...

But I have sense help a couple of people dive deeper in DE shaving. I'd love to try a straight but I think the wife would snap a little and since I HAVE to shave every morning now instead of every other I myself may snap a bit if I had to put more thought into it other than a triple pass. I also think now is not the time to start trying something new in the shaving routine since my last day off was Thanksgiving and my shortest week worked since Thanksgiving was 75 hours...Yeah, I'm on autopilot most mornings until I have had my secon cup of coffee and by then I'm half way to work on my now forty minute commute- thank goodness it isn't the ninety minute it used to be!!!!

Back to shaving... Got to love me some TOBS Sandalwood. For whatever reason I like it better than Art of Shaving's offering and have benched the puck of Proraso I've been working on since July.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #790
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I like the TOBS Sandalwood and the TOBS Lavender. Both are excellent. But my favorite of the Taylor of Old Bond Street line up is Eton College. I get a closer shave with it.

Reality is a crutch for people who can't cope with drugs. -Lily Tomlin

Quick Reply