Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #641
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

So I have 3 safety razors otw...

A 1955 Tech, a 1962 travel Tech, and an army-issue khaki Gillette - auction said WWI/II, but I don't think it's quite that old.

We'll see how I do with these. If it shows promise, then I might go for a Fatboy or some other adjustable, and if I keep it up, maybe eventually drop some cash on something pricier but cool and/or rare and/or unusual, like a Gillette Bulldog or Merkur Vision.

Doubt I'll ever get into using straights, but I may eventually just get one for the heck of it. For now, though, I'm just waiting for the 3 safety razors I've already ordered to show up so that I can polish them real nice and get started.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #642
Huskysibe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
I saw last night there are recommendations to only shave with the grain, one or two passes, for up to three weeks before going across or against the grain. Oops.

I did all three on my first 4-5 shaves. Maybe that's why my skin on my face was so pissed off at me. Yesterday and today I went easier and tried less for the BBS feel. Skin's looking and feeling better. I'll give it some more time to adjust.
Try different blades, when I started I purchased a variety pack from west coast shaving and found one that was the most comfortable for my face and havent strayed since.

Billy

Old 11-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #643
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
So I have 3 safety razors otw...

A 1955 Tech, a 1962 travel Tech, and an army-issue khaki Gillette - auction said WWI/II, but I don't think it's quite that old.

We'll see how I do with these. If it shows promise, then I might go for a Fatboy or some other adjustable, and if I keep it up, maybe eventually drop some cash on something pricier but cool and/or rare and/or unusual, like a Gillette Bulldog or Merkur Vision.
Doubt I'll ever get into using straights, but I may eventually just get one for the heck of it. For now, though, I'm just waiting for the 3 safety razors I've already ordered to show up so that I can polish them real nice and get started.
My 1911 Gillette ABC is a beautiful razor, it is out getting stripped and re-plated locally, so far this is my fancy display type razor, it shaves like a dream so I doubt it will be relegated to a display piece when I get it back.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 11-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #644
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskysibe

Try different blades, when I started I purchased a variety pack from west coast shaving and found one that was the most comfortable for my face and havent strayed since.

Billy
I've tried two blade types. I have some others I'll try and I was looking at a sampler pack with 105 blades for $33 on amazon.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #645
Huskysibe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I've tried two blade types. I have some others I'll try and I was looking at a sampler pack with 105 blades for $33 on amazon.
I have a pack of red personna's I can send you if you like. So far everyone who has tried them love them. Pm me your address if you are interested.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #646
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I saw last night there are recommendations to only shave with the grain, one or two passes, for up to three weeks before going across or against the grain. Oops.

I did all three on my first 4-5 shaves. Maybe that's why my skin on my face was so pissed off at me. Yesterday and today I went easier and tried less for the BBS feel. Skin's looking and feeling better. I'll give it some more time to adjust.
justin, i have never been able to go against the grain much on my face, especially the neck. i just have to accept that and now shave for comfort, rather than for the closest shave possible. i can get it baby butt on my cheeks, but there are just a few spots that are too stubborn to get that close. but it's fine.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 11-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #647
android
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
My 1911 Gillette ABC is a beautiful razor, it is out getting stripped and re-plated locally, so far this is my fancy display type razor, it shaves like a dream so I doubt it will be relegated to a display piece when I get it back.

LOVE the ABC, that head style is my favorite of the non-adjustable gillettes, i feel you can get a super close shave with those old type heads. can't wait to see it when it gets back from the replating job.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 11-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #648
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by android

justin, i have never been able to go against the grain much on my face, especially the neck. i just have to accept that and now shave for comfort, rather than for the closest shave possible. i can get it baby butt on my cheeks, but there are just a few spots that are too stubborn to get that close. but it's fine.
It's my jawline straight down from the outside of my eyes and my chin, just outside of the line if you go straight down from the corners of the mouth.

No issues on my neck or anywhere else other that those two spots.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 11-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #649
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Yesterday I went with two passes with the grain. Not the closest shave, but sufficient for a half day at work. That left more to shave today and I lightly worked with, across, and against the grain. Just two or three small nicks, and very little irritation. Face feels good. When I get to work, I'll find out if there's any redness.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 11-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #650
TXCrash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2746 Times on 2705 Posts
Likes Given: 113

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THREE-GOLD-V...item336ddca367

Looks like there's a good deal to be had. I can't tell exactly which razors these are but I have my suspicions.

I just can't get past gold...
Are you just bored and wanted something, anything to type?-IrregularPulse

I will just push my son to have kids at 15. Then I will see the grandkids longer.-AMonkey
IP's wife's boobs weigh more than my wife.-Randar
My wife has the coordination of a drunk two legged spider.-Zuljin

Quick Reply