Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 AM   #541
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So, my new silvertip brush came on my birthday (thanks to android for the free homemade sampler pack of blades) and I have everything I need to give this a shot.

What blade to try first?

CVS, Perma-Sharp Super, Astra Superior Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, Blue Bird, or Derby Extra Super Stainless

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2011, 03:24 AM   #542
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Close your eyes and pick a blade. Everyone has their own favorite. Use it 3 or 4 times then use the same one again 3 or 4 times then switch to a different brand.

(The only ones out of your sampler I have tried are the Astra SP's and that is my primary blade so take that for what you will.)

Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #543
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
So, my new silvertip brush came on my birthday (thanks to android for the free homemade sampler pack of blades) and I have everything I need to give this a shot.

What blade to try first?

CVS, Perma-Sharp Super, Astra Superior Platinum, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum, Blue Bird, or Derby Extra Super Stainless
like john said, totally up to you, but i would consider trying a bluebird, CVS, derby, or Astra first just to get familiar with the process. the other ones, IMHO, have a greater chance of giving you a good nick in the first few shaves. not that the first ones i mentioned shave bad or anything, they are just more forgiving.

btw, hope that brush works out for ya! there's a million different ways to lather with a brush, but i would recommend soaking it in warm water while you shower, give it a few good shakes before hitting the cream or soap, and don't be afraid to dig in when you are lathering up.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 AM   #544
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Sweet. I think I'll give the CVS or Derby blades a go first since I have 10 and 5 of those respectively. The others are mostly single blades.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #545
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think one of the more important aspects to a good shave with any razor, let alone a safety razor, is face prep. Make sure that you let your face sit on a hot cloth for at least 5 minutes. As hot as you can in order to soften the hairs and help glide across softer skin. Believe me even when doing that I can use a Feather blade without too much bleeding.

Careful around the chin, upper lip and adams apple (well at least for me) are sometimes problem areas. I've used pure coconut oil before applying my lather to help provide a barrier and it does help (I think it even softens the hairs a little more too).

Don't try to take off too much in one pass, especially if your hair is longer, it'll clog the razor up. Short strokes are the best, just like the video's on youtube show.

The one thing that I love, but is not needed, is a scuttle. Basically you poor hot water into a bowl and then there's another bowl on top of it that you put your puck or cream into. It's like heaven... honestly... warm lather is the best (wow that sounds wrong). But I don't really have one, closest thing I got is floating my bowl in the hot sink rinse water But the premise is the same.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #546
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4628 Times on 4311 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster View Post
I think one of the more important aspects to a good shave with any razor, let alone a safety razor, is face prep. Make sure that you let your face sit on a hot cloth for at least 5 minutes. As hot as you can in order to soften the hairs and help glide across softer skin. Believe me even when doing that I can use a Feather blade without too much bleeding.

Careful around the chin, upper lip and adams apple (well at least for me) are sometimes problem areas. I've used pure coconut oil before applying my lather to help provide a barrier and it does help (I think it even softens the hairs a little more too).

Don't try to take off too much in one pass, especially if your hair is longer, it'll clog the razor up. Short strokes are the best, just like the video's on youtube show.

The one thing that I love, but is not needed, is a scuttle. Basically you poor hot water into a bowl and then there's another bowl on top of it that you put your puck or cream into. It's like heaven... honestly... warm lather is the best (wow that sounds wrong). But I don't really have one, closest thing I got is floating my bowl in the hot sink rinse water But the premise is the same.
Coffee mug warmers work too.

http://www.amazon.com/Cup-Mug-Coffee.../dp/B002P9XTNO

Old 10-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #547
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2991 Times on 2945 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
The first thing I thought when my first one arrived was "this thing is tiny!"
Yup, my first thought too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
I lied. I snatches up a '67 Slim Adjustable last night. I'd like to compare it to a Fatboy.
I have been trying to get an adjustable. How much was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamandster View Post
+1 except 5 minutes is way more than is needed. A good lather on the face, rub it in with your fingers, then a hot towel right over it for a few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #548
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722
I have been trying to get an adjustable. How much was it?.
About $18. Too bad it's not a '64 like in Goldfinger.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #549
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I spent $40 on a '61 fatboy without case but it is in great shape, no plating loss, numbers still had some ink...

It shaves well and the $4 included shipping... If I were more patient prices may have dropped or I could have found one for less if I would have been more patient but I wanted it now

Old 10-29-2011, 07:11 PM   #550
jtkratzer

Recipes 

That's a shave! The brush/lather in a hot mug was heavenly. I tried a Derby and Proraso after a shower.

I followed up with some CO Bigelow aftershave balm that came in a set and some Nivea stuff about 30 minutes later.

Minor bleeding, but I needed to slow down a bit and focus on the shave. It wasn't the razor angle or being careless, might have been the blade. The worst was where I really felt some tugging and pulling.

It's one of the closest shaves I've ever had. We'll see how it goes for ingrowns and irritation.

Quick Reply