Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #1361
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 47,398
Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillWill View Post
Trying a feather blade at the moment after going through the merkur blade the razor came with, some wilkinson swords, Derby, and astra blade. The feather is blowing the rest out the water, I think it'll be the one I use from here on in!
Merkur blades are a 1-2 shave things for me. Wilkinson swords are better. Astra rusted on me. Don't recall using Derby yet. Big Ben's are good. As are the Gillette.

I have some feathers, used em once and cut the crap outta myself. Haven't tried them again.
__________________
GilaMinumBeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #1362
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shooter's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hayward, CA
Posts: 4,452
Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Yeah, Feathers are pretty danged sharp and aren't very forgiving in my razor.

__________________

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Shooter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #1363
Slyko
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 173
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Default

I've found I must be very careful with Feathers. I can't just hack away at my face like I can with a Persona or a Astra. Take it easy. Patience. And I'm rewarded with the best shave of my lifetime.

I tried the Merkur blades as my 1st and I cut myself multiple times. I still have 4 blades left.

I know, YMMV!

__________________
Slyko is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #1364
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ace_Club's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 35,765
Liked 1524 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 52725

Default

Shaved this morning with my Gillette DE (not sure what model) and some Astra blades that were given to me by a member of B&B. Overall, I find DE shaving to be very quick and easy. I only did a single pass with the Astras and come away with a closer shave than the cartridge razors.

I still plan to work on my straight razor technique until I can get that down for everyday use. In the meantime, DE shaving during the week (and while the twins are still young) is where it's at.

Next up: a blade sample pack from Amazon.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I'll make my buddy do it with me next time. That'll make me go harder at it.
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel
Ace_Club is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #1365
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Zuljin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Under Couch
Posts: 14,731
Liked 3357 Times on 3098 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Default

The trimmer head on my Fusion broke off completely. Now the razor head doesn't fit on. Ha. Not a problem with my straight.

So how many shaves yall get between hones? I've been stropping before and after each shave. My last two were not very close and I cut myself. It's been used, I guess, 12 times.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataintchicken View Post
Exactly. And Zuljin was correct.
Zuljin is offline
Ace_Club Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #1366
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 47,398
Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Waiting til this weekend to try out the slant bar so I have a couple days of recovery if things don't go well.

__________________
GilaMinumBeer is offline
Ace_Club Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #1367
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ace_Club's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 35,765
Liked 1524 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 52725

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
The trimmer head on my Fusion broke off completely. Now the razor head doesn't fit on. Ha. Not a problem with my straight.

So how many shaves yall get between hones? I've been stropping before and after each shave. My last two were not very close and I cut myself. It's been used, I guess, 12 times.
I'll let you know when I get more than a couple shaves on any of my three straights. From B&B, though, it sounds like people typically get anywhere from 6 to 20 shaves on a straight before honing, either on the balsa or on a stone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Waiting til this weekend to try out the slant bar so I have a couple days of recovery if things don't go well.
Good idea.

I've recently started applying Proraso pre-shave cream to my face prior to each pass, rather than just at the beginning of my shave. I find this greatly reduces potential irritation to my skin.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I'll make my buddy do it with me next time. That'll make me go harder at it.
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel
Ace_Club is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #1368
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 47,398
Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
Good idea.

I've recently started applying Proraso pre-shave cream to my face prior to each pass, rather than just at the beginning of my shave. I find this greatly reduces potential irritation to my skin.
There is an easier way.

Make up your foam just as you normally would and then add a few drops of Olive Oil or Glycerin and whip it up some more. It adds another dimension of slickness to the mix so you don't feel compelled to paint your face as much.
__________________
GilaMinumBeer is offline
Ace_Club Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #1369
Ace_Club
Legendary Influential Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ace_Club's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 35,765
Liked 1524 Times on 1448 Posts
Likes Given: 52725

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
There is an easier way.

Make up your foam just as you normally would and then add a few drops of Olive Oil or Glycerin and whip it up some more. It adds another dimension of slickness to the mix so you don't feel compelled to paint your face as much.
Already doing that, though I didn't know it would absolve me of using the pre-shave cream. Thought it was mainly to add a new dimension to the lather.

Ah well, I really like the menthol feel of the Proraso between each pass. Nice and refreshing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I'll make my buddy do it with me next time. That'll make me go harder at it.
"If guns don't kill people, why do we give people guns when they go to war? Why not just send the people?" - Ozzy Osbourne

Sent from my iPhone 4s.

Canon T2i | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 28mm 1.8 | EF 50mm 1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm

3 whipped dog straights, Gillette Ball End Tech, 1959 Gillette Fat Boy

Secondary: Strawberry Melomel
Ace_Club is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #1370
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 932
Liked 120 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_Club View Post
Already doing that, though I didn't know it would absolve me of using the pre-shave cream. Thought it was mainly to add a new dimension to the lather.

Ah well, I really like the menthol feel of the Proraso between each pass. Nice and refreshing.
Want refreshing? Get some menthol crystals and dissolve some in a plain jane bottle of witch hazel.
__________________
Drinking Oaked Wee heavy, The Kaiser clone, Graff, , Sour Cranberry Ale
Carbing/Aging Westy 12 (2013),
In the bucket Chocolate stout, Westy 12 (new world)
On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS
Gixxer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shaving Blows ShakerD General Chit Chat 85 06-09-2011 06:39 PM
StumbleUpon Thread: You know you want one Brew-Happy General Chit Chat 10 12-25-2009 06:53 PM
another baby thread redraider629 General Chit Chat 15 12-17-2009 03:14 PM
HBT NFL '09 Thread ohiobrewtus General Chit Chat 6 08-23-2009 05:16 AM
HBT NFL '08 thread ohiobrewtus General Chit Chat 434 03-09-2009 02:10 PM