Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #1271
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 148

When my time in the military is up and I have more time I will pick up the straight again. A Harner razor with some form of G10 might be the ticket.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #1272
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
So I'm using Mitchelle's Wool Fat shave soap, and while it is doing the job, I'd like thicker, creamier lather. It gets mixed reviews on Badger & Blade.

I shave it off in little slivers, add just a little hot water and let it sit a few minutes. I've done this to loose slivers and slivers kneaded into a little pad. I've also just mashed up the slivers some. That seems to give me the closest lather to what I (think I) want, but still pretty far off. It's thin and watery. Is this what yall get with Mitchelle's or is there another technique?

What soap gives a thicker, creamier lather?
Hmm, I was thinking water hardness on this one as well. MWF lathers great for me. Have you tried any of the soft soaps like Cella? Some people don't like the scent, but I find Cella lathers up a treat!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #1273
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3405 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I do like the idea of not having to buy another razor. It one less thing for me to run out of, keep in supply and go get.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #1274
Zuljin
16%er

Recipes 

Liked 3405 Times on 3136 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I have Baker St from the Strop Shoppe but haven't tried it yet.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #1275
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Wow!
You guys liked TOBS, and it's never worked for me! I love the smell, but never got a good shave with it... Till today !
I heated up A coffee cup of bottled water in the microwave and used it to soak my brush and lather! Wow. WOW!
I shaved my entire head and trimmed my beard in no time, with no nicks, no stubble and no problems! Smooth as a bowling ball!
Hard water just sucks!

azscoob Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #1276
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I have fairly soft water, but still find a good soak of the brush and the soap are great help to lathering. Interstingly, after the soak, it's actually best for me normally to shake the brush dry.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 09-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #1277
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I have fairly soft water, but still find a good soak of the brush and the soap are great help to lathering. Interstingly, after the soak, it's actually best for me normally to shake the brush dry.
Hmm, I might try shaking the brush dry, I have occasional issues getting a lather, maybe a too wet brush is the root, or it might target that a too dry brush might be the case for me, time to experiment.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 09-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #1278
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob

Hmm, I might try shaking the brush dry, I have occasional issues getting a lather, maybe a too wet brush is the root, or it might target that a too dry brush might be the case for me, time to experiment.
That's what I do. Let the brush soak for a minute or two and then shake any extra water out.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #1279
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Yeah, for soaps, the drier brush seems to work better normally. Not as big of an issue with creams, but I also bowl lather those and tend to load the brush and face lather soaps.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #1280
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I use a moist brush and add water as I need it. There is a happy medium when hitting the soap. During the winter I really dig a warm brush soaked in hot water but during the summer I am strictly cold water and some menthol products. In Korea, one time (only) I made the mistake of using a menthol A/S and then had to ride my bicycle to work and it was 20 deg out. Yea, suck that did.

Quick Reply