Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Wet shaving thread.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #1211
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I dunno... I have been looking at a few things... I might get another shea moisture brush and use it as a handle donor and get a TGN silvertip to put in it. I already have a cleaned out VDH boar handle but I do not think I want a 24mm silvertip brush. Kinda want to stick to a slimmer handle profile I think.

I have been looking into getting my NEW's replated but after looking at the price to get em done in rhodium its almost the same price as a whole razor already replated from the razor restorer guy. You can never have too many razors. Maybe even going with a flare tip could be an option.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #1212
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 126

I have two shea brushes as well, my favorite go to brush but I cannot find them at my target stores out here or I would snap up a couple more.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #1213
stamandster
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Pre-Shave oil can be used in one and/or two ways. One as a lubricant between your skin and the blade. Or as a softener for the hair follicles and skin (the Art of Shaving rep said that softer skin = softer hair as it grows, don't know if I believe that). I use a light oil (not castor) like Coconut, Almond or Gape seed oil and massage it into my skin and beard for about 3-5 minutes before I shave. DO NOT use a whole lot, just enough to feel a slight "moisturizing" affect. You DO NOT want an oil slick. I've had really great results doing this. I can even shave against the grain on my neck without nicks or irritations. And this is without pre-warming with a hot cloth.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #1214
Cruzn4aBrewzn
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 35

hey all just thought I'd say hi.

I've been wet shaving for a while and will never ever! go back. I use both a straight razor and a safety razor but my wife dropped my safety razor using it on her legs and busted the entire shaving head off of it so I now only have my shavvette and my straight.

my question to you all is what are some good options for honing wet stones. I really need to hone my good straight so I've been using my shavette which works great but I love the weight and blade length of my baby. anyway I'm in the market so to speak and would love some suggestions on a good set of stones that won't break the bank.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #1215
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzn4aBrewzn
hey all just thought I'd say hi.

I've been wet shaving for a while and will never ever! go back. I use both a straight razor and a safety razor but my wife dropped my safety razor using it on her legs and busted the entire shaving head off of it so I now only have my shavvette and my straight.

my question to you all is what are some good options for honing wet stones. I really need to hone my good straight so I've been using my shavette which works great but I love the weight and blade length of my baby. anyway I'm in the market so to speak and would love some suggestions on a good set of stones that won't break the bank.
Im interested in a set of stones as well, I've heard good things about the blue Chinese whetstone but it is 15k plus grit so it is more for polishing the edge to perfection. Aside from that I have to wait to hear from a good honer here.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 08-29-2012, 01:24 AM   #1216
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob
I have two shea brushes as well, my favorite go to brush but I cannot find them at my target stores out here or I would snap up a couple more.
Word! Love the Shea brushes and lotions. The shaving cream (butter) is useless! I also love the bars of soap! Only 1 target store reliably carries it tho!

Old 08-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #1217
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Really the only soap or cream you can get that works real well from a non wetshaving brick and mortar is kiss my face. Okay besides that bath and body works carries Bigelow (Proraso) cream... Well Sephora carries AOS stuff.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #1218
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3342 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 232

So I'm using Mitchelle's Wool Fat shave soap, and while it is doing the job, I'd like thicker, creamier lather. It gets mixed reviews on Badger & Blade.

I shave it off in little slivers, add just a little hot water and let it sit a few minutes. I've done this to loose slivers and slivers kneaded into a little pad. I've also just mashed up the slivers some. That seems to give me the closest lather to what I (think I) want, but still pretty far off. It's thin and watery. Is this what yall get with Mitchelle's or is there another technique?

What soap gives a thicker, creamier lather?

Old 08-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #1219
CHefJohnboyardee
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I haven't use a tallow soap but it sounds like you're doing something wrong

Is your water really hard?

Old 08-30-2012, 03:51 AM   #1220
Zuljin
16%er
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3342 Times on 3087 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Not "really". Water hardness maps put us anywhere from slightly to moderately hard. Our city water quality report doesn't even go into it. We don't have build up problems or even problems making lather with any other soap or detergent. No problems using any surfactant.

Quick Reply