Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Welcome to my weather!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 131 Posts

Default Welcome to my weather!

Spring continues. Last Tuesday, we were 6F below the record high for April; Thursday, 3F above the record low. Friday, the prediction was sunshine for the rest of the month. Today? Cloudy and rain, for the rest of the month and into May.

Although it's been overcast and drizzly most of the month, we've had less than 1/4 the normal rainfall. It's tough to remember to check the hop garden for moisture with all this drizzle, but this has been one of the driest years in decades.

At least I have a nice pile of firewood and even more to split.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4944 Times on 4514 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Trade ya'.

I am none too concerned about moisture as my hop garden is a raised bed of well draining soils. My issues are with the winds. We had 70mph gusts last night and have had steady winds from 15 to 35mph.

Much of the more mature growth that I saved from the last late frost has been obliterated by constant winds. I have lost count of how many bines have been blown loose of their spiral and snapped off.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 87

We've had 1" of rain so far this year. Everything is brown if not watered and the fire season has just started. I-75 has been closed for a week due to a 10,000 acre fire and there is no rain in site.

According to the weatherman we are desert like dry right now with a drought index over 600 (which means the top 24" of soil will accept 6+" of rain before becoming saturated)

Quick Reply