Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Walked away...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Boss is never there / doesn't contribute to decision-making / doesn't help us manage our workloads, upper administration is corrupt and idiotic, and generally speaking, we get no respect.

My job is about $4 an hour OVER an entry position in Help Desk, and about $4 an hour UNDER what the same person would get paid if we were on the main Uni campus, not in Lincoln. I'm ready to leave any day, just gotta find somewhere else to pay me a decent wage first. :-(

I am pretty sure I want to switch field entirely, but don't know where to go. ._.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
Neomich
Recipes 

I decided a while ago that I would no longer work for a paycheck. I turned down a job that would have paid me double what I get paid now because it would have just been a job with a paycheck. Yes, I need money but my motivation is no longer about money. I accept promotions for the challenge, not the raise. (but it is nice)

I enjoy getting paid but my decisions are not based on that. Of course, there are limits. Enough zeros and my morals and ethics go right out the window.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I worked for a mom and pop shop designing patios and driveways and fancy pool decks for a decorative stamped concrete company... I was there for 2 years when the hired a ex-Bell South manager to be the "Office Manager"...

He came in and immediately started changing things, he wanted to make the company like Bell-South and not like a mom and pop shop... I bit my tongue and helped design a new website, set up a network and created most of the flyers they use to this day... I spent countless hours putting together presentation and going to home shows and organizing events that I ran myself ragged...

Well, it would have been fine and dandy, but he took all the credit, he spoke as if he did everything himself and he even received awards and was interviewed for home magazines... and not once did he mention that I did everything...

So, an outside company came to me, they saw my work and my resume, made me an offer and I accepted.

I left a company doing what I loved b/c I was underpaid and unappreciated, I am willing to work for the not-so-great pay as long as I can do what I love - designing, but when people don't appreicate it and treat you like scum... that's where I draw the line...

Having a family now I have to swallow my pride sometimes and make due... but I think this move was for the better... it's been a year now and there has been no looking back.

Best of luck man.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #14
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 254 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd leave too, but only after I secured another job. It's much easier to get a job if you are currently employed.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I left a job with nothing lined up and a poor job market to boot. I just couldn't take the BS anymore so I left. I did give them 2 weeks just cuz I didn't want to burn any bridges, ended up being the best decision of my life. After being out of work for 2 months, I figured out what I really wanted to do in life, went back to school, and now I couldn't be happier in my professional life (most days anyway).

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 01-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

I've done it twice (I won't count leaving the Navy, as it didn't pay well). Left a IT/network job at a major bank when they forced my manager out and replaced him with a nano-manager, who thought networking was licking his manager's @$$.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #17
brauhaus

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
I'd leave too, but only after I secured another job. It's much easier to get a job if you are currently employed.
def wise words of wisdom wisely spoken.

hehe...

but in all seriousness, i spent the last month of my last job scouting out a few places and trying to line something up before I walked out... it's easier having a place to go afterward... if this company hadn't found me, i'd probably still be there getting my balls handed to me...

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 01-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #18
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I walked out of the B.J.'s Wholesale Club in my hometown. That place was so poorly managed it was a joke. 4 GMs in less than 2 years tells you what kind of store that was. One of the things where I knew how to run the store better than they did. I couldn't work for stupid people, and just walked out one morning.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Having been on the hiring end before I have to say that I was always more comfortable hiring someone who was a) currently employed and b) not willing to start in less than 2 weeks.

Someone willing to walk off a job always had an uphill climb with me because I had to be convinced that they wouldn't get frustrated and leave me hanging down the road.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #20
jdoiv

Recipes 

I walked out once. Was over worked and felt I was getting shafted by my boss. His boss called me and talked me into coming back after taking a two week vacation. The company moved me to a different store and I stayed with them for another two years or so.

My last job, my boss and I started butting heads. I decided to go out on my own and started my own business. I was on commission and we decided since I would be in competition with him, I didn't need to work out a two week notice. One of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. I have a wife, 2 kids and a mortgage. Going out on my own with no future income lined up was difficult, but my job was in sales and I really didn't have anything lined up with him as it was 100% commission anyway. Best thing to happen in my work life ever. Been a hard 3 years, but it's gotten better every year.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Quick Reply