Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Walked away...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Nate
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Walked away...

Anyone here ever walked away from a good paying job simply due to disgust? Just quit my job because of our new President and CEO... he's one of the most self-centered, stupid, and arrogant people that I've ever met in entire life. I refuse to report to this man (and I'm not the only one). Just wondering how many of you have ever done the same. Not sure at what point you sell your soul for a paycheck...

I realize circumstances sometimes dictate your options (kids, single income, etc) and you have to suck it up but, if you were able, would you continue to work for someone who disgusted you both professionally and personally if the paycheck was good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Anyone here ever walked away from a good paying job simply due to disgust? Just quit my job because of our new President and CEO... he's one of the most self-centered, stupid, and arrogant people that I've ever met in entire life. I refuse to report to this man (and I'm not the only one). Just wondering how many of you have ever done the same. Not sure at what point you sell your soul for a paycheck...

I realize circumstances sometimes dictate your options (kids, single income, etc) and you have to suck it up but, if you were able, would you continue to work for someone who disgusted you both professionally and personally if the paycheck was good?
I have done it 2 or 3 times because If im not happy somewhere Im just going to bring home my anger and my wife and kid dont deserve it so I just live by my own philosophy that when the day comes Im not happy working there anymore its time for a change of landscape.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 12-31-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I used to be a lawyer helping middle eastern people get into the country (immigration). Pay was good, benefits were great (2 martini lunches, unlimited vacation time- just ask, cute office girls, etc). Downside? What we were doing was borderline illegal (though impossible for anyone to catch or prove).

I let it be known I was ready to be fired. Now I make almost $12 an hour.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Joker

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have left a few jobs for that very reason, but wasn't able to just walk away. I had to find employment to go to first, but it definitely inspired me to find work fast.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

I did it once - but simply could not now because of family. I'd walk away, but would need someplace to go before walking.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd also have to have something else in place first, but I guess I'm lucky that I very happy with my job and I don't have to worry about it.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

I did the same thing when my wife was 6 months pregnant. Our superintendant quit and the guy that they got to replace him was a total dip****. Sure he had a college degree, but he had no hands on construction experience at all. He was a fuggin joke and we just ignored the guy and did our job.
My partner was the foreman, and I considerd myself his lead man. The guy started coming around our jobs more and more and getting in our way. We told the big boss to get him out of there or we were gone. They had a talk with him and he backed off for about 3 days. Then he came back barking at us worse than ever. My Partner/foreman made a couple calls that night. The next morning we waited for they Superintendant to show up. Like clockwork he was there right on time, trying to bitch at us over something. We just told him to "F**K Off" and handed him our radios, keys and blueprints. We walked out of their and went to do our new hire paperwork with a different company, whom my partner had called the night before.
By the time I got home I already had 3 messages on the answering machine. They were practially on their knees begging us to come back. Too Little, too late.

They have since fired the guy and gotten a new Superintendant.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I did it once, but it was easy as I was still in college. Before college, and all through college, I worked in a kitchen at a busy restaurant. I know being a line cook isn't the most glorious of positions, but this place was busy, you had to be good. Anyway, since I had been there for years, I knew how to do what was needed and I was one of, if not the best cook. My kitchen manager and I got along great. He pushed me to do more work, and eventually I was taking over some of his duties. He rewarded me with pay (nothing much, usually .15-.25 an hour). Then, one day, the company decides to open a new location and moves my kitchen manager to the new store to help it get off the ground. They offered the job to me, but I was almost out of college and didn't want to work in a kitchen my entire life. So, they hired some dude off the streets and he came in making changes just to make changes. I think he felt that if he didn't make changes, he wasn't doing his job. So many, many people left and I was the only one who stuck it out for a little while. Our line became very inexperienced, and ineffective. At that point, I started doing things that I considered the right way, and other people saw me doing this and started following my lead. Obviously he didn't like it and we butted heads all the time. After I graduated college I put my two weeks in within a week. I could never just walk out, bu that is the closest I have ever come. I liked the company and the people I worked with, and the pay was fine, but there was no way I could have continued to work with him.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 PM   #9
Bruscar
Eat, drink, repeat

Recipes 

Left the decently paying management side of the car biz for a regular 9-5 M-F gig. Big cut in pay, but I bought my life back. Almost zero pressure, spend every night, weekend, and holiday with my family. I told my old boss last week that to go back would mean selling my soul for a paycheck.

: Red Tail clone - back to basics time
Up next: Red's Irish cousin
Then: Who knows

New motto (T'anks, Newguy!)
"for the love of all that is good and holy...NEVER DUMP YOUR BEER!!"

Old 12-31-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I left a highly paid job because they wanted me to sell crap.

Quick Reply