Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Volkswagen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Volkswagen?

I am in the market for a car. So far, I have liked VW jetta and golf. Are the reliability horror stories true? I have also looked at a Ford Focus and a Chevy Cruze. I did not like the Focus compared to the Chevy or the VWs. The Cruze was nice but it seemed to have too many blind spots.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I work in a Ford, VW, and Audi dealership as a Ford tech. Honestly, I (personally) would stay far away from the VW's, especially the newer ones. We have license plates memorized because they are always in the shop. It seems like they are never in for simple things (like oil changes and such) and the bill is usually very high due to the repairs needed. From what I have seen, you can't even do your own oil change on the newer VW's/Audi's, unless you don't mind the oil change light constantly telling you it's required. I believe the newer ones require the use of the VW specific scan tool (costing around $15K I believe) to reset the oil change reminder.

I actually drive a Ford Focus (2007, IMHO the best year) and I don't see any difference in quality between the Focus and the Jetta/Golf. The VW's are usually around twice the amount than I would think they would be worth, but that's just my opinion. As for reliability, the only Ford products we see over and over are the Ford Superduty's for engine concerns (but those, before the 6.7L, were built by International), but the VW's and Audi's keep comming back! The Focus' (2005 and newer) are pretty bullet proof and I haven't seen any that have required any major repair, however, they do have a common problem with the front stabilizer bar links wearing out quickly, but they are inexpensive and easy to fix and don't pose a serious hazard. I believe the new links have been updated to help prevent premature wear.
I have not done any work to mine except oil changes, tire replacements, and one replacement of the front stabilizer bar links, 2007 @60K miles.

I can't speak much about the Cruze, however I am a Ford guy, so I think you know what I would say.

I have a feeling this may start a argument between people, so before any arguments, I should say that these are my own opinions, not facts.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-16-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Ki-ri-n

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What reliability horror stories?

I think most problems can be from the dealer network. It's hard finding a good one that won't screw you or never admit that they don't know what's wrong or why, yet charge the bejesus out of you. Best bet is finding an independent and only go to a dealer for warranty or recall work if that should pop up.

No offense Beninan. I'm sure you guys do fine work. But around by me, every dealer is suspect. I've had work done at some of them and I've been charged for things that I latter found out were NEVER done. So, I now do all my own work. If I screw it up so be it. My case isn't isolated at all. Being an enthusiast, I've come across others with similar stories and words of warnings. In my area and across the country. It's just like Home Brewing (or anything else), tons of opinions, different ways of doing it and everyone thinking they are right.

First, I'm somewhat biased and a VW nut (of sorts). I'm not that well versed on the newer VW's. I have a MKIII Jetta ('97) which has about 200K on it and is just fine for a car with that many miles. I also have a Corrado with 120K but it's just a weekend car. Noth of which I do my own work on. I was never fond of the MKIV's. As far as the V's & VI's, I don't know. Too new for me

The oil change reminder can be changed, but you don't need the VAG 15K "tool" to do it. Find someone that has Vag-Com (about a $300 software cable package) that can do everything the dealer tool can and better. Some dealers use it over the VW supplied one. It is that good.

Check out the forums on www.vwvortex.com for a little more research. Lot's of good info there. But there's a lot of crap too. You need to do some leg work to find the answers and ultimately the right car for you.

I could tell you to get a VW and you'd love it. But would you take my word if I told you a cooler w/ a copper manifold is best for a MLT?

Reason: Seemed harsh towards Beninan

Old 12-16-2010, 01:56 AM   #4
jmendez29

Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I was recently in the market for a car. My first stop was to visit my mechanic and see what he thought. Obviously, I trust my mechanic, but he told me to stay away from VW and Audi. He said that their quality has taken a serious dive lately. Not usually the engine, but mostly the major peripherals like the power steering, etc. And I also talked to a couple of people at work who have them, pretty much got mixed reviews, either great reliability or the worst.

My mechanic also told me that Volvos are pretty good but the turbos can get a bit sketchy if you can't verify that the oil has been changed regularly. Saabs aren't half bad but sometimes you get one thats kind of a lemon, then you have to wait for parts. He did seem pretty fond of the Focus, but my GF has one and it gets kind of uncomfortable for me after awhile. I ended up getting a Subaru, but it was because I got an unbelievable deal on it.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:00 AM   #5
beninan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki-ri-n View Post
The oil change reminder can be changed, but you don't need the VAG 15K "tool" to do it. Find someone that has Vag-Com (about a $300 software cable package) that can do everything the dealer tool can and better. Some dealers use it over the VW supplied one. It is that good.
Forgot about that, but either way, $300? to reset your oil light? it just seems ridiculous. At least the older ones you could reset it with a sequence of buttons through the instrument cluster.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-16-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
Ki-ri-n

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Every newer car has that for the most part now. All the electronic gobble-dee-gook CAN bus systems. You can find people that have the program and cable for your area that can re-program it for you for a small "fee". Get in with a VW/Audi club and someone will most likely have it. I have it for the older systems and it has been worth it's weight in gold!

Check out this locator if you have to use a VW?Audi scan tool http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-in-the-thread

It does more than that too

Reason: Added VAG-COM Locator

Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 AM   #7
beninan
Recipes 

sorry, I don't mean to get into an argument on my happy place, but I still don't see the value of "a small fee". You do a simple oil change in your driveway trying to save money, but now you can't reset the oil light without a "small fee". Maybe you have a transmission leak and maybe you repair it yourself, you try to top off your transmission fluid level (which most VW's now take an expensive speciality fluid), Hmm there's no dipstick here, uh oh, you need a special computer scan tool to check the fluid level.
All manufacturers do not want you (the vehicle owner), or other shops other than the dealership working on their products. That is why they require specialized equipment for different repairs. It just seems like VW/Audi/Other German-Euro products have taken it to a whole new level where you can't even think about opening the hood without inserting money into the CD player slot.

It may sound like I'm being harsh, but I'm trying not to be, and I don't mean to be talking trash about VW's/Other German-Euro vehicles. I'm just speaking of how I strongly feel after having to work on these every day.

In fact, I'll probably stop at this post and not read this thread again, due to risk of excessive homebrew consumption/getting aggravated/saying bad things/loosing my job/loosing my certifications.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #8
fineexampl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

There's always a lot of VW hate/dislike/complaints. I've owned a 72 Type1 (old bug), my current is a '02 New Beetle, and my wife drives an '07 Rabbit (Golf/MKV..whatever). I personally only drive VW. My Beetle has close to 100k miles and i drive it every day. Aside from anomalies and knowing that the water pump in my model type craps out at 60k, there have been no issues. My wife's Rabbit has been nothing short of reliable. VW are very much a car you can fall in love with.

Yes, they are more expensive.
Yes, you may need to visit the dealer regularly.
No, they don't all have reliability issues.

I speak as a Eurocar lifer. The only 2 American cars i've owned were an 86 Buick Skyhawk that broke down constantly and an 84 Eldorado that had 100% brake failure...in traffic...at a light (and other assorted issues). Granted they were both used and my VWs (not the 72) are both original owners.

With anything, it's different for everyone. Your mileage may vary, to borrow the old line. I suggest you check out VWVortex as someone above mentioned. You can get Vagcom scans for free or just a tip, if you wished to do your own upkeep. Oil changes can be done just about anywhere, but most dealers charge about $60 (in NJ) which is what the small places charge for synthetic (which is what all new VWs require for the warranty) anyway.

Test drive that Golf, or better yet, the GTI. It's got better driveability than most cars in it's price range.

Primary: Highway 35 Scotch Ale (Highway 78 clone), second runnings small beer

Bottled: Pitch Black Sheep IPA, Juniper Fail/Ale

Kegged: Apollo Pale Ale, South River Brown

Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
vandeg
Recipes 

I like Fords, I have a '96 Taurus GL and its been very reliable, except for brakes (had to replace the line to the back brakes, replaced two calipers, and a flexi-line). Working on the front of the engine is difficult, especially replacing the water pump. They are also prone for speed indicator failure. Apart from those problems, which are mostly rust related, no other major problems.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ford, I heard great things about the Focus and also the new re-released Fiesta. On Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson drove a Fiesta off a landing craft and gave it a decent review.

I wish you luck on the car search! Cars are a money pit, personally though when I get enough money freed up, I'd get a vintage VW, either Beetle or Thing... Simplicity at its best!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:08 AM   #10
jwatson
Recipes 

I have an Audi and my wife has a TDI Jetta. I would say they are reliable. I read the forums a lot and everything minor issue they say is common happened on my Audi. In every instance I knew what to expect and fixed just about all of it myself. I have the $300 hex-can bus software and it is well worth the money. The nice thing about VW/Audi, you can have total control over the car. With the vag-com, you can change how the dash panel is lit, I can now turn on driving lights without headlights on and I enabled the keyfob to control the windows to roll them up or down with a push of the lock/unlock buttons. The amount of control and changes you can make are unbelievable.

Concerning quality, I am off work today because my A4 was in the shop for a rear cross member. I slid into a curb on Sunday and apparently sheared the bolt connecting the rear spindel to the cross member, bending the cross member into a U. I drove the car on the interstate at 70 mph for two days. When I got a chance to get it to my mechanic last night he could not believe my wheel was still attached to the car. It drove fine just had a slight vibration at speed.

I live in the snow belt so I am a little bias toward Audi performance but I have never enjoyed driving as much as I do in an Audi.

Quick Reply