Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Visiting San Diego soon- help please

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Visiting San Diego soon- help please

hey my brew brothers and sisters, I am headed to San Diego in two weeks for my birthday.

I get to plan the Saturday itinerary for three breweries/tap houses via Uber or other hired DD, then Stone's Bistro in Liberty Station for dinner.

Suggestions welcome for the top 3 SD tour stops (not including Stone as that is locked in), please!

I like all types of beer. The locals w/ whom we are visiting mentioned Ballast Point, Ale Smith, Green Flash, Society Brewery. I haven't had any Society beers.
I was also thinking Modern Times.

I live in SF and know basic SD geography but not (yet) looked up where these places are. We are starting from La Jolla.

thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I visited San Diego last year and did the exact same thing. We hit up Stone but not the liberty station location. Ale Smith, Ballast Point, and Society were all places we hit up, but I enjoyed Society the best. We stopped by Green Flash but they didn't open until well into the afternoon, 4pm I think. We didn't want to wait around for another two hours just for them.

If you're around the area, I HIGHLY recommend swinging by White Labs. They have a sampling bar there. They will brew a 20 gallon batch and split it, then ferment with different yeast so you can taste what profile the yeast offers. If I had known that before we went there, then I would have dedicated more time to just that.

We also hit up Pizza Port, I think it was the Ocean Beach location, can't remember for sure. We don't have as ready access to the ocean as you do so that was more for novelty sake, but it was still very cool for us. And the pizza wasn't half bad either.

We also hit up a couple really small places based on recommendations by the hotel staff, I can't remember their names. But of the ones you mentioned, Society would be my pick. And White Labs if you have the time. But really, we weren't disappointed by any of the places we stopped. San Diego really was a fantastic beercation.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 586 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 128

These guys have a pretty good map, aimed at visitors.

Some of my faves from past visits:
Stone
Ballast Point
Societe
Twisted Manzanita
White Labs

Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #4
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 675 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Modern Times is very close to Stone Liberty Station, so I'd definitely do that.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 20

thanks- great info!
Any one else?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #6
UKCatsFan
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Ballast Point fo shizzle !! Just sampled several offerings from Green Flash at a local tasting and they were all tasty.

If you're also looking for a good pizza and local pint, I would recommend Pizza Nova in Point Loma.

Enjoy.

Primary: Centennial Blonde
Primary:
Secondary:
On Tap: Belgian Wit
On Tap: Fresh Squeezed IPA
On Deck to Brew: Chocolate Milk Stout, Sculpin Clone

Old 02-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
72hw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 37

+1,000 on White Labs - a definite must!

I also really enjoy visitng Coroado and the Belching Beaver tap rooms. The latter has two Randals, so they often have One Day Only beers... Sometimes they are outstanding!

Pizza Port is a lot of bang for the buck, I like the Ocean Beach location but parking can be a nightmare. It might be mentioned that The OB Pizza Port is very close to Aqua Adventures, where you can rent kayaks and get out on the bay. Interesting side trip to work up a thirst for sure!

Bottled:
Kegged Tits Up IPA
Drank: Possibly way too much

Old 02-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
fsr_racer
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

If you have the time, drive out to East County and visit Alpine Brewing. They are still fairly new, but a friend of mine swears by them. Also great mountainbiking country out there, if you're into that.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #9
72hw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsr_racer View Post
If you have the time, drive out to East County and visit Alpine Brewing. They are still fairly new, but a friend of mine swears by them. Also great mountainbiking country out there, if you're into that.
Agreed - Alpine is s fantastic, if out if the way, brewery. I heard recently that the taproom is closed though, something to do with Alpine being acquired by Green Flash. Might not be but would be worth a call to find out before heading up there!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
JC_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I'm going to echo the comments about White Labs as well. As a homebrewer, it was great to be able to taste "different" beers with the only difference being the yeast that was pitched. I took notes and have applied them to batches that I've made since then (I went just over a year ago).

Stone brewery is a must as well although I've been told by friends of mine that are still there that the tour isn't what is used to be. I haven't done it so take that with a grain of salt. I have been to the Liberty Station location and you won't be disappointed. The duck tacos are fantastic.

The Blind Lady Ale House in North park was a great place with a lot of craft beers on tap. I used to live close to there so I frequented it often and is a cool hole in the wall.

Have fun. I miss San Diego terribly.

Quick Reply