Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Visiting Germany, suggestions needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #31
brewman !
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66 View Post
+1,000,000,000!!! Been there, done that, got the 1 liter clay stein to prove it! (It was full of beer when I got it.) Most holy of brews! Well worth the trip!
Frig ! Now I have to go back. Shucks. I hate it when I mess up and have to do things over...

Getting back into brewing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2014, 08:56 PM   #32
chawagi
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanedoc View Post
Rothenburg ob der Tauber Is a interesting old city surrounded by city walls, I enjoyed spending a afternoon walking around.
I gotta second this one. My first wife, Anja, was from Rothenberg o.d. Tauber, and I used to love spending the weekends there when we were dating. There's a gorgeous park at the edge of the town where you can look off the wall to the valley below, not to mention the Town square clock that honors the story of how Rothenburg won some kind of conflict by it's mayor beating the enemy leader in a drinking contest (There's no cuckoo, the windows open and the two mechanical men chug liters of wine).

Then there's the Saint James Kirche (church) which is a beautiful church from the 1500's with a hand carved wooden Triptych on the altar showing three stages of Christ's life, and a crystal that supposedly contains a drop of Christ's blood. I'm an Atheist, and this church was awe inspiring even to me just by the sheer history you can almost feel when you enter this church.

Also, the Kathe Wohlfahrt Christmas Market is neat to walk around even if you don't buy anything. You can visit the Crime museum where you can see the old forms of torture and control that were used on criminals in the middle ages.

Then to satisfy your sweet tooth you can enjoy a Schneeballen (Snowball), a local pastry delicacy that was invented in Rothenberg.

Chad R.,
Founder
Old Dirty Socks Brewing (TM)
"If there's no sack to hop in, dirty-up a sock"

Old 02-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #33
brewman !
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
Nothing like walking up to a gasthaus at 1:00AM drunk throwing money at a 80 year old woman. They usually feel sorry for you and treat you extra nice.
Wanna bet ? Try travelling with a cute 5 month old infant ! Every woman aged 20 to 70 wants to stop see the baby and talk and give you tips and... you name it. Especially the Italian women.

Did I mention that half the women in Europe are supermodel material ??? My lasting impression of Amsterdam is supermodels on bicycles.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #34
Rhumbline
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewman ! View Post

Did I mention that half the women in Europe are supermodel material ??? My lasting impression of Amsterdam is supermodels on bicycles.
I was thinking that maybe I was deluding myself after my first visit to Italy. It seemed that every woman I saw was just stunning. I mean supermodel stunning. they seem to have that aura of confidence that turns me on.

I marked it down to travel honeymoon phase but I swear that I didn't see a homely woman anywhere in the country, except the obvious American women.

I will always remember sitting along the Arno river in Florence and hearing an Italian woman just ripping a guy to shreds verbally. I've no idea what she was saying, but I'd pay to have her give me hell like that.

Of course, the Germans are a much more subdued group, The op won't be subjected to any of that.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #35
ScottG58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You have to have a beer in Hofbrauhaus in Munich. Touristy--yes. Fun, absolutely. I also recommend a short Rhine Cruise starting in Bingen. Stop in the towns along the way and visit the weinstubes. Berg Eltz is a castle close to the Mosel that is worth a stop. If you can find a fest, go. I liked Heidelberg. Lots of shops,bars and restaurants. The Vetters Brew Pub was memorable. Great country. Friendly people. Would love to go back.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:36 AM   #36
smccarter
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax View Post
The SWMBO and I along with another couple will be spending a few weeks in Germany this summer. We are flying into Frankfurt, but from there we are unsure of what to do. We haven't decided yet where to fly home from either. The only stipulation we have is that everyone wants to see the Alps. I know many of you live in or have lived in Germany or make frequent trips. We're not really interested in tourist traps but also don't want to miss seeing anything that would be worth visiting. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Lucky you..

My suggestion as a person who has never been to Germany is... have fun.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 AM   #37
brewbama
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Visiting Germany, suggestions needed

If you get a chance go here: http://www.woinemer-hausbrauerei.de/ It's my favorite home brewery. I still have and use a growler from there. They serve great food and fantastic beer. It's between Frankfurt and Heidelberg. BTW Heidelberg is a great city. I recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 AM   #38
brewman !
Recipes 

Looking at these websites reminds me of something... I got the impression that German people are less apt to speak English than people from France, Belgium and Italy.

My wife is multi lingual and we were almost never stuck for lack of being able to communicate with the locals in these countries, but I seem to recall that it was the most difficult in Germany. Some Germans have very good English. But I found that many don't.

I'm not one to talk as I only speak English, and some people doubt even that !

Old 02-26-2014, 03:32 AM   #39
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I don't really have much to add to what has already been said. Just wanted to say the mrs and I went in 2011 and it was awesome. Even touristy as it was Nueschwannstein Castle has pretty cool views. Here is one from the castle courtyard to a bridge behind the castle. The bridge is the thin line near the top of the photo.
imageuploadedbyhome-brew1393388678.669804.jpg

And then of course one from the bridge to the castle.
imageuploadedbyhome-brew1393388715.236797.jpg

One over the side of said bridge just because I LOVE heights so much....
imageuploadedbyhome-brew1393388915.446857.jpg

The architecture and artworks were fabulous. Our tour guide called it an ABC tour another bloody castle, another bloody church.

Here is a statue of St.George fighting a dragon I found wandering around Berlin one day looking for nothing specific to occupy myself.
imageuploadedbyhome-brew1393388845.900650.jpg

My point was whatever you find yourself doing there is always something nearby that is fun/pleasurable to experience. We went from Frankfurt to Remagen, Cologne, Berlin, Munich, Leipzig, Nuremberg, Oberammergau, and quite a few other places and was not bored or looking for something to occupy ourselves with. Even on the go go go we had a blast. No matter what plans you make it will be an awesome time.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 02-26-2014, 05:23 AM   #40
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Eisenach. Former East Germany. A few things I remember from there: Wartburg Castle, great biergarten in the town below the castle (Thuringen?), Johan S Bach's home (great tour), some church to do with Martin Luther (not King of course), WWII bullet holes in dilapidated plain gray buildings from communist days, very historic, very interesting! Worth the trip. Not too far from Kreuzberg Monastery and some of the best beer I've ever tasted! Eisenach. Look it up.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner

Quick Reply