Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Visiting Germany, suggestions needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 283

Default Visiting Germany, suggestions needed

The SWMBO and I along with another couple will be spending a few weeks in Germany this summer. We are flying into Frankfurt, but from there we are unsure of what to do. We haven't decided yet where to fly home from either. The only stipulation we have is that everyone wants to see the Alps. I know many of you live in or have lived in Germany or make frequent trips. We're not really interested in tourist traps but also don't want to miss seeing anything that would be worth visiting. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I aim to misbehave.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #2
jhoneycutt
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1772

Do a beer tour while there.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
jpc
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts

One of the best experiences I've had was a trip to Bamberg and taking a tour of the Weyermann® Malzfabrik facility. I have toured dozens of breweries, large and small, but this is the first time I had ever visited a maltings. If you're able to swing up there, do it. They have details on their web site regarding tours. And while in town, take in a couple of the local smoked beers... There is a web site or two documenting the best places to visit in Bamberg.

Also, it's not to far from Rothenburg ob der Tauber, which is a beautiful place to visit-- one of the best preserved medieval towns in the world.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
Rhumbline
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 105

A couple years ago I flew into Paris and drove south along the French-German border to the Italian border. Then into the Italian Dolomites and continued east through the lake region.

You could do something similar but continue through the Alps. Garnish-Partenkirken is home to the Zugspitz, the highest mountain in Germany.

There's also Castle Neuschwanstien in Hohenschwangau that is in a by cool area.

It's great that you're thinking of returning from a different city, but it complicates things a bit with rental cars. No problem if you're taking the trains.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Take the train from Frankfurt to Cologne - very scenic, and there you are right in Koelsch country and just a few minutes away from Duesseldorf Alt country as well.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 02-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 332 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Germany is a big country. Don't try to cover too much ground in one trip. If you are heading to the Alps, that puts you in Bavaria. Munich is a must, of course. It's only about 2 hours by car or train to Salzburg. Nurnberg is an interesting city, with lots of medieval history and a really cool castle perched atop a hill in the center of the city. Bamberg is not far from there, home of rauchbier. The Regensburg area has Roggenbier, something hard to find in the U.S. Lots of beer-related things to do.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 745 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

You might want to take the train from Cologne to Nurnberg, the one that goes along the Rhine river. You'll see plenty of countryside, with the ruins of a couple ancient castles on the hilltops along the way. It's better in autumn, because of the golden colors of the trees & the sun being reflected in the water, but it's nice in summer too.

The kolsch in Cologne is very tasty & not to be missed. In Nurnberg, the Nurnberger wurst is sooo tasty! The city is full of history, from the Nurnberg castle, (you can still see & touch bullet holes from WW2 in some places) to the St. Lorenz kirche church in old town Nurnberg.
I don't know if it's still there or not, but there used to be a pub called the Baerleiner that was within a few blocks of St Lorenz Kirche, not far from Weisser turm; they had the best alt beer ever; but that was 30 years ago. In summer, there will be a fest of some sort at least once a month, with rides, beer & food. Stop in at the guest-houses, they'll oftentimes have some of the best food & drink.

Neuschwanstein Castle is not to be missed, and if you're going to southern Germany, Munich is a must, as is the Black Forest Open Air Museum near Hausach; it's a place that has people doing things like wood carving, clock making, and daily life from the 1500's to the 1700's, well worth the trip.

Here's a tip I learned when I was there: if you buy a German one beer, he'll most likely buy you two. Try to speak a little bit of the language, the locals will be much more inclined to talk with you and/or help you; they might even invite you into their homes if you are able to carry on a conversation. Hope you have a great trip!
Regards, GF.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

That one castle on the hill in Nurnburg sits in the middle of the Nurbergring, the most famous of all Grand Prix tracks. There's a pub nearby that's supposed to have good food & beer from what I saw. They have track tours as well. The track is still in use for sports car racing & the like,with open track days for some 10 marks a lap. I watched my first GP race from their,where Fangio won in 1957.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
Airplanedoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Castle Neuschwanstien in Hohenschwangau was a big waste of time and money in my opinion. There are only a few rooms that are finished that you can see. Its not exactly on the highway either so it will take a good bit of time, and money to see. Buy a postcard and call that one covered.

I really enjoyed the Zeppelin Museum (Hindenburg and Graf Zeppelin not Led) which is in Friedrichshafen, right on lake Constance which is also nice.

Rent a Mercedes or BMW and Drive the Autobahn. Others can probably elaborate better that I, but there is a pecking order based on what kind of car you have on the autobahn. When I was there traffic in the slow lane was motoring along about 100-120.

Dachau is just outside Munich Not exactly a happy place, but something people should see.

I drove From Munich down to Innsbruck its a nice drive thru the alps. Garmisch-Partenkirchen is along the way and a nice place, good Christmas decoration shopping there.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Rhumbline
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Neuschwanstein is worth a drive by if you're in the area. I wouldn't devote a half day to it but its a very impressive sight. The views of it from the surrounding area is the real draw.

Travel is like beer, we each have our likes and dislikes. All I'll say is don't let anyone tell you what you must see or what isn't worth your time. Some of the best times I've had was when things didn't go according to plan.

Frankly, Munich holds no attraction for me but that's just an example of different tastes.

You're heading to one of the most beautiful areas of the world, you'll never see all of it, so enjoy what you can and don't run yourselves ragged. The cool stuff has been there for a thousand years or so, it'll still be there a few years from now for your next visit.

Quick Reply