Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
I didn't pick up ME3 cause I heard everyone bitch about the ending but now that the game is down to being like 30 bucks I think I will pick it up.
It's a really great game, but it's definitely a shame that the last hour taints the previous 20+.

It's a really amazing trilogy and one day I'll go back and replay them in order, but the final one really felt like they had built up the story and protagonists so much they didn't have a decent way of concluding the storyline so they just said fark it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #172
rifraf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I believe they released an alternate ending after the uproar.

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #173
Jukas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
I believe they released an alternate ending after the uproar.
Unless they've done so again, their expanded ending really wasn't much different and still followed the same lame concept of the first ending.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #174
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 266 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
Unless they've done so again, their expanded ending really wasn't much different and still followed the same lame concept of the first ending.
That's what I heard as well. You got a slightly more satisfying ending but in the end not quite really.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #175
jonnyp1980
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

2013 ps3 exclusives look very promising.

Last of us
Watch dogs
And beyond two souls.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomebrewersReview?feature=watch

Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #176
zilch
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo

I didn't pick up ME3 cause I heard everyone bitch about the ending but now that the game is down to being like 30 bucks I think I will pick it up.
I've really enjoyed the storyline in the series despite the ending of the third. The story and choices you get make along the way add to the experience.

The multiplayer alone is worth it. A lot of different characters and classes, and each have different abilities that you can spec. I have a bunch of buddies that I game with about once a week. Multiplayer is quite fun when you know the people you are playing with.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 AM   #177
weirdboy
Recipes 

Liked 430 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Over the holiday break I was mostly laid up with an virus my lovely wife imparted to me before taking off for Japan. So, I spent most of the time playing video games rather than doing anything which involved physical activity or meeting other people in person so I could avoid spreading my illness.

In no particular order, I played through the following:

Black Mesa -- excellent remake of Half-Life in Half-Life 2 engine
Metro 2033 -- Fantastically atmospheric shooter set in a post-nuclear Moscow underground tunnel system with occasional detours above-ground
Spec Ops: The Line -- a military shooter with a great narrative story largely cribbed from Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now
Quantum Conundrum -- an above-average puzzley physics game made by the person who designed Portal 1&2. which, if you haven't played them, you really should because they are fantastic and you can get them dirt cheap nowadays
The Walking Dead -- excellent episodic choose-your-own adventure style game based on the comics/TV series. I thought the writing in the game was much better than the series. The gameplay was "average" I guess but the incredible story and writing really make up for that.
Hotline Miami -- super fun ultraviolent retro action game where you go around contract killing people. It gets more and more surreal as the game progresses

And I also played some "classic" games although I didn't get through them by the time I got back to work. On my iPad I have been playing through the original Bard's Tale mostly for nostalgia, and I also have been playing through the original Fallout on my laptop, not for nostalgia because when it came out I could never get the damn game to install and run properly. But, now I can so I'm playing it.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #178
seandanger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The game I most recently got sucked into was FTL: Faster than Light. I picked it up for $5 on sale on Steam and it is an incredible game. I played it 35 hours the first week I had it! If you haven't seen or heard of it, here's a video of a guy playing through it:

@weirdboy The Walking Dead just won a bunch of awards at the Spike VGAs, I haven't seen the show or played the game but I'm definitely interested in both. Do you think it's important to watch the show before playing the games? Or vice versa?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #179
Jukas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch View Post
I've really enjoyed the storyline in the series despite the ending of the third. The story and choices you get make along the way add to the experience.
Without getting into too many spoilers that was actually a major gripe of mine. Having played all three games and importing saves from 1 -> 2 -> 3 I was disappointed by the lack of impact my prior choices made in the end.

Don't get me wrong, it's still an amazing trilogy and the third game is still fantastic, but the ending definitely was the flat spot instead of the highlight it could have been.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #180
weirdboy
Recipes 

Liked 430 Times on 351 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandanger View Post
@weirdboy The Walking Dead just won a bunch of awards at the Spike VGAs, I haven't seen the show or played the game but I'm definitely interested in both. Do you think it's important to watch the show before playing the games? Or vice versa?
Absolutely no reason to watch the show to play the game or vice-versa. The stories are completely independent of one another, and there's really no reason to watch the TV show. In fact, there's a couple of minor spoilers that happen in the game if you have watched the TV show first (or vice-versa I suppose), but even if you have it's no big deal.

The great thing about the game is that it is broken up into five roughly two-hour episodes. So, you can play an episode one night, take a break (you'll probably want to), and then play another one a day or week later. Also a note: I have seen several people I know who picked it up recently in the big holiday sales who complained that the pacing was kind of slow and they never really got into it and didn't finish the first episode. However, the first episode is probably the weakest one because they still hadn't worked out the gameplay mechanics very well in some spots, and they also had a lot of work to do establishing characters and whatnot, which took away a bit from the character and story development that you'd typically see. However, if you can make it to the end of the first episode it gets better as it progresses, and then by the end of the second episode it gets really good. And by the end of the first "season" if you are not taken in by the story you're probably not human.

Quick Reply