Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Using the CO2 from brewing for a planted fish tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #11
Rick91981
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
LOL I'm glad I'm not the only fish geek who thought of this.
I can't wait to get my tank setup. Had it when I was in my apartment but had to tear it down when I moved to the house 11 months ago. My big problem is the place it is going to go needs a new floor. Its a 40G tank so no way I am moving it once water is in it. So The floor needs to go down first and I currently don't have the funds for it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #12
Folken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
LOL I'm glad I'm not the only fish geek who thought of this.

Here's what I was going to try with a future batch.

Run some tubing out of the hole in the stopper/bung - to an adapter to smaller aquarium tube size (a reverse of what I use for my airation setup) into the intake for my powerhead. I would have to keep an eye on it, as I could easily flood the tank with CO2 during the height of fermentation, but after it slows down a bit - might provide some CO2 to my plants.

Flourish Excel is a good product, but when it comes to plants like crypts, or glosso, nothing beats the real deal + appropriate lighting.

Definitely going to think this out a bit - could be fun to try.
Ha, I've noticed from various forum searches that if you can think of it, odds are someone else has beat you to it.

Figuring out a good way to do this seems like a great idea though, as almost everyone usually has something brewing at one time or another. Why waste perfectly good CO2. Haha.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 AM   #13
Folken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick91981 View Post
I can't wait to get my tank setup. Had it when I was in my apartment but had to tear it down when I moved to the house 11 months ago. My big problem is the place it is going to go needs a new floor. Its a 40G tank so no way I am moving it once water is in it. So The floor needs to go down first and I currently don't have the funds for it.
I'm seriously starting to get worried. I've already got multiple tank syndrome. Pretty soon my entire house will be filled with giant class containers full of some sort of liquid. Where do I sleep?!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #14
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The poor man's CO2 generator is what got me back into brewing again after many years off.

Now I've got most of my aquarium stuff sold or on Craigslist, and I just focus on brewing

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #15
Folken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
The poor man's CO2 generator is what got me back into brewing again after many years off.

Now I've got most of my aquarium stuff sold or on Craigslist, and I just focus on brewing
Now I just wonder if you could have avoided selling the tanks and converted them into fermenters. Cleaning is easy enough, just have to figure out what to do about being able to open it to pour stuff in and get stuff out while being able to maintain an airtight seal in between. I foresee very liberal use of silicon sealant and power tools.

Quick Reply