The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > US food reserves are nearly gone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Alpine5654
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default US food reserves are nearly gone

This is my 1st post on HBT. So I would just like to hello to all
of you and I've enjoyed reading your posts over the last few
months. I thought this article was important because without
grains, we have NO beer.

Taken from here: http://www.tristateobserver.com/modu...icle&sid=10121

AAM Concerned with CCC Inventories

WASHINGTON - Larry Matlack, President of the American Agriculture Movement (AAM), has raised concerns over the issue of U.S. grain reserves after it was announced that the sale of 18.37 million bushels of wheat from USDA’s Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC) Bill Emerson Humanitarian Trust.

“According to the May 1, 2008 CCC inventory report there are o*nly 24.1 million bushels of wheat in inventory, so after this sale there will be o*nly 2.7 million bushels of wheat left the entire CCC inventory,” warned Matlack. “Our concern is not that we are using the remainder of our strategic grain reserves for humanitarian relief. AAM fully supports the action and all humanitarian food relief. Our concern is that the U.S. has nothing else in our emergency food pantry. There is no cheese, no butter, no dry milk powder, no grains or anything else left in reserve. The o*nly thing left in the entire CCC inventory will be 2.7 million bushels of wheat which is about enough wheat to make ½ of a loaf of bread for each of the 300 million people in America.”

The CCC is a federal government-owned and operated entity that was created to stabilize, support, and protect farm income and prices. CCC is also supposed to maintain balanced and adequate supplies of agricultural commodities and aids in their orderly distribution.

“This lack of emergency preparedness is the fault of the 1996 farm bill which eliminated the government’s grain reserves as well as the Farmer Owned Reserve (FOR),” explained Matlack. “We had hoped to reinstate the FOR and a Strategic Energy Grain Reserve in the new farm bill, but the politics of food defeated our efforts. As farmers it is our calling and purpose in life to feed our families, our communities, our nation and a good part of the world, but we need better planning and coordination if we are to meet that purpose. AAM pledges to continue our work for better farm policy which includes an FOR and a Strategic Energy Grain Reserve.”

AAM’s support for the FOR program, which allows the grain to be stored o*n farms, is a key component to a safe grain reserve in that the supplies will be decentralized in the event of some unforeseen calamity which might befall the large grain storage terminals.

A Strategic Energy Grain Reserve is as crucial for the nation’s domestic energy needs as the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. AAM also supports full funding for the replenishment and expansion of Bill Emerson Humanitarian Trust.

The May 1, 2008 CCC Inventory report may be reviewed here: http://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/wid2a.pdf.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

your first post was about this?

Oh wait, I get it....you're doing us a favor by telling us this arent you

Old 06-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

How 'bout that 'Department of Homeland Security'; I feel a lot better and safer since we have that now.

No emergency grain, no need to deliver it to catastrophe victims, and then no way to blame the DHS for not performing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 06-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Never fear! For any US citizen who is hungry, I am prepared to mail a cheese sandwich across the Atlantic to you, for the bargain price of one hundred English pounds.

Please allow six weeks for delivery.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Honestly, do we really need a strategic grain reserve? I think the "half a loaf per person in the United States" says a lot. I mean, I'd be more concerned witho how many loaves for the each person in Louisiana? The notion of a catastrophe that struck everybody in the entire United States is a bit absurd. Even if it did happen, I suspect there would be no way of converting that grain to food very readily. If everybody in America were affected, who would even be left to convert that grain?

And why would I want my government to be holding onto enough cheese or powdered milk for every man woman and child in America? Personally, that sounds like a waste of tax dollars.

Now, to be honest, I had never heard of grain reserves before, but it sounds to me like more of a subsidy to the farmers than a national strategic necessity.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek View Post
Never fear! For any US citizen who is hungry, I am prepared to mail a cheese sandwich across the Atlantic to you, for the bargain price of one hundred English pounds.

That's just mean. You can't charge that much for a cheese sandwich. Food aid should come without a price tag.

I have some extra casserole from last night. I'll wrap it up and send it along right away. The Republican bigwigs look pretty well fed, but that Obama guy looks like he could use a nice meal. Anyone got his address?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:21 PM   #7
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:

Remember guys... one if by land. Two if by sea.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #8
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
How 'bout that 'Department of Homeland Security'; I feel a lot better and safer since we have that now.
was that sarcastic or are you really being serious?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Alpine5654
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone View Post
your first post was about this?

Oh wait, I get it....you're doing us a favor by telling us this arent you
Since when is having all of the information bad?

What happens when there is a drought and some of the US crops fail?

Oh wait, the southern US is ALREADY having a drought.

Food doesn't magically appear on your dinner table. If we don't
have grain in storage, we have to buy it from overseas with a
devalued dollar. Can you say $5.00 per loaf for generic white bread?

Old 06-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:

How about a cheese sandwich in exchange for dental care?

Quick Reply