BrewHardware Giveaway- Winners Drawn - 24 hours to claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > UPS.... You're stupid.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #11
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Do you really think they're driving around with only your package?

I'm sure a company that is trying to make a profit is trying to ship as efficiently for them as possible.....which may mean driving all over the country so they don't have to make a return trip to pick up your package...
Exactly. Having worked for a UPS owned company which dealt with smaller (local retail) delivery and vehicle routing, I have a good understanding of what's up there.

Just because there's a UPS location near you, doesn't mean that your package will ever even go there. It depends on how many OTHER packages need to go to that location and if it's worth sending such a small load to that spot, or to just pack it along to another further away destination knowing that there's another truck waiting to take your package somewhere else.

They're doing what makes sense for them economically. Carrying a package around just to delay you makes no sense and costs them money. Getting your package to you faster (so long as it makes $$ sense to do so), makes them MORE money. Each time a loader has to "handle your package", it costs $$. Lots of $$ considering it's a union job who's "negotiated" the difficult task of moving a box from inside a truck to a conveyor belt to be worth more than a teacher's salary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #12
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezter6 View Post
Exactly. Having worked for a UPS owned company which dealt with smaller (local retail) delivery and vehicle routing, I have a good understanding of what's up there.

Just because there's a UPS location near you, doesn't mean that your package will ever even go there. It depends on how many OTHER packages need to go to that location and if it's worth sending such a small load to that spot, or to just pack it along to another further away destination knowing that there's another truck waiting to take your package somewhere else.

They're doing what makes sense for them economically. Carrying a package around just to delay you makes no sense and costs them money. Getting your package to you faster (so long as it makes $$ sense to do so), makes them MORE money. Each time a loader has to "handle your package", it costs $$. Lots of $$ considering it's a union job who's "negotiated" the difficult task of moving a box from inside a truck to a conveyor belt to be worth more than a teacher's salary.

I guess the delivery men in my area don't understand the concept that if more people have to handle the package it costs the company more...or they just don't give a f**k. Multiple times I have come home on the day my package is supposed to be delivered and I have a sticker saying they tried to deliver it three times and I would have to drive 20 minutes away to pick it up if I ever wanted to obtain my package. There is no way they tried to deliver the package three times because it was the first day it was even in the city. I guess they are just too lazy to redeliver even though they will most definitely be back in my condo complex the next day anyways considering how many people live there.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:39 AM   #13
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
Ironically, Forrest was complaining about service from FedEx not too terribly long ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/anot...ckages-144550/
My beef with Fed ex is that I paid extra for Saturday delivery to AHS. They lied and said they attempted to deliver but the store was closed. We are open everyday especially Saturdays, our busiest day.

The package will be delivered to you. At least UPS is being honest as to where the package really is.

Forrest

Old 01-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #14
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

I dunno if this is common knowledge but FedEx drivers are sub-contractors, they own their own vehicles and have to pay to fuel them/maintain them. When you think about UPS vs FedEx in that perspective you can really understand the pros and cons of each business and how it affects you.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #15
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1455 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNye View Post
I dunno if this is common knowledge but FedEx drivers are sub-contractors, they own their own vehicles and have to pay to fuel them/maintain them. When you think about UPS vs FedEx in that perspective you can really understand the pros and cons of each business and how it affects you.
I did not know that that, but know it makes sense why a lot of times my fex-ex packages come in a Ryder or Penske rental truck.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

BTW forrest, do you send this stuff Sig required or anything?

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Old 01-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova5 View Post
BTW forrest, do you send this stuff Sig required or anything?
If we send packages signature required there is a fee. If we send it no signature required there is a fee. The driver decides if the neighborhood is sketchy or not.

If I send it no signature required it voids the $100 insurance if it were to be stolen.

Forrest

Old 01-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #18
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova5 View Post
Package from AHS heads from Austin to Atlanta GA, then to Charlottle, NC... Hmm strange... NOW its in Greensboro, NC... IT SHOULD BE HEADED TO AUGUSTA, GA! Destination SHOWS properly So AHS did it right. Some monkey is stuck in Retard mode.
Next time, don't be so cheap. If you want you sh*t sooner, get 2 day or overnight shipping.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #19
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
Next time, don't be so cheap. If you want you sh*t sooner, get 2 day or overnight shipping.
How is it a faster or cheap thing? He's telling us the package is heading in the wrong direction and out of state from the direction he lives.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #20
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
How is it a faster or cheap thing? He's telling us the package is heading in the wrong direction and out of state from the direction he lives.
That's how ground shipping works. Have you ever heard of taking a flight from New York to LA with a layover in say Atlanta? Same thing with UPS.

"...Careful, man...there's a beverage here!..."

Quick Reply