Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > UK tax laws allow the sale of hb cider but not beer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
silverbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default UK tax laws allow the sale of hb cider but not beer

Here in the UK, if I make home brew cider I can make up to 70 hectolitres (1539 imperial gallons or 1846 US gallons) per year, and sell it to whoever I like, without any liability for exise duty whatsoever. I might have to tell them, and pass food hygiene laws, but what the heck......

If I make beer I cannot sell a single drop, or even give it to my mates without breaking the law...I cannot exchange one of my pints with someone elses either, because that counts as bartering.....how STUPID is that.

Even tasting someone's home brew at a show is technically breaking the law.

Why and when did some UK dip **** politition decide to give small cider makers a sensible exemption like that and then leave the home brew beer guys up the creek without a paddle?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came about?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came to exist?

__________________

Blessed are the "cracked", for it is they who let in the light.

silverbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbrewer View Post
Here in the UK, if I make home brew cider I can make up to 70 hectolitres (1539 imperial gallons or 1846 US gallons) per year, and sell it to whoever I like, without any liability for exise duty whatsoever. I might have to tell them, and pass food hygiene laws, but what the heck......

If I make beer I cannot sell a single drop, or even give it to my mates without breaking the law...I cannot exchange one of my pints with someone elses either, because that counts as bartering.....how STUPID is that.

Even tasting someone's home brew at a show is technically breaking the law.

Why and when did some UK dip **** politition decide to give small cider makers a sensible exemption like that and then leave the home brew beer guys up the creek without a paddle?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came about?

Does anyone on here know how this state of affairs came to exist?
Small batch cider producers probably lobbied for an exception.
__________________
ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
TheDudeLebowski
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mass
Posts: 971
Liked 85 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

We had the same problem with your tea a couple of years back.

__________________
TheDudeLebowski is offline
motobrewer Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,747
Liked 130 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeLebowski View Post
We had the same problem with your tea a couple of years back.
LOL!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.
Misplaced_Canuck is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,636
Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Default

i was just looking at that this morning.

http://www.ukcider.co.uk/wiki/index.php/General_cider_making_issues

__________________
Quote:
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894
motobrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
silverbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Bloody long memory you Bostonians

__________________

Blessed are the "cracked", for it is they who let in the light.

silverbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thiensville, Wisconsin
Posts: 6,636
Liked 211 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Default

hey, don't lump us all in with that sh*thole!

__________________
Quote:
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894
motobrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
LeBreton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Finger Lakes, NY
Posts: 1,100
Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Small batch cider producers probably lobbied for an exception.
or large beer producers lobbied against such exemptions for beer . . .

Either way OP, sounds like it's time to swap your brew kettle for an apple scratter!
__________________
Bellwether Hard Cider
In all the states no door stands wider,
To ask you in to drink hard cider
LeBreton is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dfc's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 3,040
Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Default

If it makes you feel better we're forced to purchase health care. Next we'll be forced to buy one type of car or a specific type of food.

__________________

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

dfc is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oblivion
Posts: 47,367
Liked 4692 Times on 4348 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
If it makes you feel better we're forced to purchase health care. Next we'll be forced to buy one type of car or a specific type of food.
Government Cheese FTW, and cholesterol pills are not covered.
__________________
GilaMinumBeer is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Man laws Hammy71 General Chit Chat 1 04-22-2012 10:33 PM
What are beer laws and beer selection like where you're from? jaycount General Chit Chat 50 04-06-2011 09:43 PM
Pharmacy Laws Challenger440 General Chit Chat 16 01-17-2010 04:13 AM
HBT Laws Loweface General Chit Chat 11 07-15-2008 04:30 PM
Strange Alcohol Laws Hopfan General Chit Chat 35 01-29-2007 06:10 PM