Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > ****ty Neighbors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default ****ty Neighbors

So I live in a duplex condo, and share a driveway and a basement with my neighbors. There are really only 2 spots in the driveway, and they are deeded, one for my place one for theirs. They have more than one car, and can't park on the street as we have permit only parking on the street, and they can't get permits with out of state plates, and paying out of state car insurance rates. To be nice I have been letting them park behind my car, as I don't use it more than 1 day a week.

I came home the other day and needed to use my car, and they were blocking me in, I called they were out getting their hair done and would be an hour, so I had to wait for them to get home to use it as they didn't leave a copy of the key behind with their roommates. Yesterday a car I had never seen before was parked behind me, I went and knocked, no one was home, so I called all of their cell phones, and it turns out they let one of their friends park there, and it would take an hour for them to get back. This really pissed me off, twice in one week, especially since this is the first problem in more than 6 months of sharing the driveway.

Today though I went into the basement we share to get one of my home brews that I had been storing. I looked all over for my last 1.5 liter swing top bottle of my extra special porter, and it was missing. It was then that I realized about a week ago I found one of my large swing top bottles in the recycling bin on the side of the house. I search the recycling every week to look for extra bottles to use in homebrewing. At the time I found the large swing top in the recycling bin, I figured my roommate must have just thrown it out, as I keep random large empty swing tops under the kitchen sink after I finished them, so I just moved it back at the time.

I went and examined the left over bottle today, and the bottle was my Porter! Now that pissed me off so much, that I asked them not to park behind me in the driveway any more. Asking them not to park behind me now has way more to do with the beer than it has to do with the inconvenience of them blocking my car. Right now they are pissed at me, and I'm still mad at them about the beer thing, but I can't decide whether or not to explain why I asked them not to park behind me any more. Does it seem petty to ask them not to block me in because of beer? Should I tell them the real reason or just wallow in the knowledge that I can move my car without having to ask someone to move their car first and let them be mad at me.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They aren't owed any explanation whatsoever.

They're crappy neighbours who obviously put no thought behind purchasing a condo and being decent people.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:34 AM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 230

They may not change...but you'll feel better about yourself if you come "clean" with them.

Plus, talking the truth with them puts you on the high road. How they deal with it is their issue...but don't sell them short. People are human. People make mistakes.

Some of the strongest relationships you'll have will start out on a rocky road.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:35 AM   #4
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

If I'm reading this right, they are drinking your beer AND blocking your car in with a car they really shouldn't be parking there. Screw them, tell them to get Mass plates and a permit or they can go pound sand. It just sounds to me that they're being extremely inconsiderate, so there's no reason for you to help them out.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 12-17-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Let me wrap my brain around this one...shared basement....

Is there access to the basement from the house???

If so, they can walk into you house at any moment?

I'd never store my brew in a 'common area' if that's what it's designated as. Don't be mad, just don't store things you care about in a common area. It was 'their right' to call you on that one.

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 12-17-2007, 02:36 AM   #6
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

+1 on the crappy neighbors. Anyone who would double park and leave for an hour or more is a jerk. Not to mention, a jerk who goes through your stuff and steals your beer.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 AM   #7
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

Screw them. You were being nice and they took advantage. I'd definitely bitch them out about the beer. What kind of BS move is that?

Old 12-17-2007, 02:48 AM   #8
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

They know..... If they don't know for sure why you are pissed they will be after you tell them, cause they didn't do it. It was one of their friends and they have nothing to do with it, lol. I would tell them the next time anything happens that isn't above board, I will be going to a normal-everyday-run of the mill-I hate my neighbor and will treat them legally within my rights-type of neighbor type of guy. I do think you should explain why you are so "butt-hurt" (sorry I heard it earlier and it pissed me off so it may you too, and good). I mean, at least you will know they know or have no plan of respecting another human beings property once you talk to them. Just be as nice as you can be and as backboned as you can be at the same time. If they have a problem, ask them if you've been an ass. When they say no, ask why they are treating you like you did something to them. When they say they haven't, then ask them who has put them out in the same capacity they have put you out. If they can't answer without not answering and getting mad, then you know, they are just like all the other worthless MF's in this world that want you to put up with their crap and don't want you to complain about their crap. I am under the theory, explained to me by many people I have just made this rant about, that it is your responsibility to hide your beer and make it unable for them to drink. The same way (according to their logic) that you need to be responsible for the ability to get your car out. Hence, don't store your beer where dumba$$e$ can steal it, and don't let dumba$$e$ that don't give a crap about your being nice to them park where you can't get out. I would tell them what you think happened to you, hear their lame excuse (if any), and then tell them the parking is going to stop and the beer already has.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 AM   #9
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

After I told them not to park there, I would be fast about calling a tow truck to prove it the next time they do. Not being an A$$ just stand for your rights as a decent human being.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-17-2007, 02:57 AM   #10
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

F'em. Its your parking place. So what if they are angry, it not theirs to get upset about. If you don't want the car there its your perogative. You were doing them a favor and they took advantage.

Talking to them is probably worth it from an honesty thing. I'd tell them the double parking will have to stop w/o leaving a key behind. As for the beer I'd ask them not to drink it w/o asking first. I'd move the beer if got to be a problem.

I don't know which one I'd be more pissed about. Probably the beer, mainly because its HB and the fact that it special. Not to mention they know its not theirs to be taking.

I used to share an apartment w/o a guy who used to eat my food and not replace it. Talk about coming home from work and finding your dinner gone. I'd always give'm both barrels. It usually started w/ GD it you MF'r.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply