Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Treat your yard yourself? Or hire it out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Treat your yard yourself? Or hire it out?

I have been doing my own yard treatments (All Scotts, Pre-Emergents, Weed-N-Feed, Fertilizers) for as long as I can remember. And my yard is nearly the worst looking on the block.

Turns out, most of my neighbors are having services do theirs and aren't spending much more than they did when they bought the supplies themselves.

Doing the yard myself, I focus on the front yard. But, we actually spend more time oin the back yard with the kids and it makes more sense for that one to be plush and green.

What do you do?

If you hire out, do you have both yards (where applicable) serviced and, does it balance out costwise (as opposed to buying the materials)?

If you do it all yourself, what do you use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Great question and I'm looking forward to responses since I'm in a similar situation. Mine is certainly not the worst in the community, actually my front lawn looks pretty good, but when I live next door to two neighbors: Soddy McSprinkles and Lawn Boy, it's hard to compete. Barnyard Grass is really chappin' my ass!

END TRANSMISSION

Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
bull8042
I like 'em shaved

Recipes 

Liked 445 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My yard is Bermuda in the front and sides and mostly Centipede with Fescue in the back. I do mine myself, but have realized that saving money by buying the cheap stuff is a waste of money. I used Penningtons Weed & Feed this year and am having great results.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Old 05-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This will be an interesting thread. I've never payed for the services, but do them myself. If I had problematic areas, I suppose their analysis could help. What I do know is that proper maintenance and watering goes a long way. If your letting it go, then all of a sudden trying hard for a month trying to make it look good, you've got a long road ahead of you.

I have a lot of neighbors that ask me how I keep my grass looking green and lush. Well I just water , weed and feed. Keep the weeds at bay and keep the grass from dying. They will water for like 2 weeks straight, then give up and the rest of the year it is just neglect. Its a tiresome commitment. I've got no sprinkler system, so it manual watering. Most of it is common sense. There have been some years where certain areas have gotten neglected. THose areas have recovered, but it took months.

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I decided my lawn was evil and recently killed it.

Southern California is basically a desert. A lawn here just sucks up time resources. It wanted water 5 days a week to stay green and healthy. I am in the process of doing a xeriscape. Probably have it done by mid-summer. (My neighbors hate me right now)

But to answer the question, when I did have a lawn, I did all of the maintenace myself.

Hey, knock that shvt off. We're drinkin' here.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've always done the yardwork myself. Still do, but the 'yard' is two acres of gopher-infested slope, so I just keep it cut. Fortunately, the grass season is only a month or so. The weather goes from too damp and cold to too hot and dry rather quickly.

Considering my closest neighbor is 75 acres of clear-cut, mine looks good.

For a high-traffic lawn, your best approach is to over-seed every year, but use a different grass type. Doesn't look as good as a single variety, but much easier to maintain.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 05-12-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
HenryHill

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just me, and just shy of 4 acres.

And it is not an opinion to say that I have the best looking yard on the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Trubadour
Recipes 

Ahh, a yardwork thread. Yardwork is another one of my hobbies, as I pride myself in keeping a great looking yard, most of the time. I would say that planning ahead is probably the most important aspect of keeping a lawn -- ie. laying down preemergents to keep many weeds from germenating; setting the right amount of water on the sprinkler system (too much water is bad also), etc.

Here's a pic of my front yard - notice the perfect lush green on the left side, and eyesore on the right. The grass is starting to come back where I killed the creeping woodsorrel (finally - I thought I'd never get rid of it) - I just lived with it for 2 years and then decided to get rid of it once and for all. It'll look great in a few more weeks.

One of the best weed preventers is a lush lawn, so if you can get your grass to grow thick, it will suffocate most weeds out.

My Keezer

Old 05-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
Just me, and just shy of 4 acres.

And it is not an opinion to say that I have the best looking yard on the street.
I am guessing you have a private road too?

Old 05-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just moved to a new property last fall and don't know where to begin. 5 acres of uneven, broadleaf infested, dandelion covered, thatched grass that the previous owners let go to crap. I used to use 2-4-D at the old farm and it worked wonders, just don't know if I want to with a newborn now.

Quick Reply