Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Treasure hunt ideas for kids

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 746 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

You might try hex paper (hexagonal graph paper), you can download & print it for free here: http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/
Try a scale of each hex is 10ft, or 5ft.

If your grandson doesn't already know how to interpret map images, you'll have to explain them, but you can make it easy by drawing in things like bushes, trees, driveways, sidewalks, etc...

On the other hand, part of the fun/challenge is to figure it out with all the ambiguities that a pirate treasure map comes with. 10 paces (kid's paces) from the bushes by the mailbox due east (great time to teach simple compass use), then 20 paces north for the next clue. Maybe a simple riddle or 2 for a clue: "When the sun shines on the red flowers, the next clue is at your back." And the clue is in the shed behind him when he stands in front of the red tulips... You get the idea. Ever watch the TV show Blues Clues? or Dora the Explorer? They use simple maps & clues in every show, might be a couple of good ideas there.

You can place the clue under a rock, or taped to the branch of a tree; kids love that sort of thing, each clue helps to build excitment, especially if there is some small reward (like a chocolate coin, plastic pirate sword, etc...) for finding major/tough to find clues.

Geocaching is a fun thing to do, much like a treasure hunt. When he's older, maybe a "fox hunt" (Xmitter hunt) with a ham radio club would be a fun thing for you both to do. Hope you both have fun.
Regards, GF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #12
ChuckO
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Edible clues might be a good thing also. If you take a snack along he might find a clue on a hard boiled egg. Take a raw egg, write the clue on the shell with vinegar before hard boiling the egg. The writing will be visible on the egg when he cracks the shell. Makes for magic clues.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
shoman89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHDNSD View Post
After a little research, that sounds really fun. Something we can do anywhere. But...since I don't have smartphone and I'm not inclined to buy a gps system, I guess I'll have to commandeer grandma's phone for our purposes.
When I started we had a crappy Car gps that I modified and hacked to get it to do what I wanted. I then bought a Garmin Oregon 450 and that works really well and it has replaceable batteries. My blackberry works ok as long as I have a cell signal. My kids like to trade little trinkets and do the track-able travel bug when we go on vacation. It is neat to find a travel bug in a cache in Hilton Head and bring it to Ohio. Then you can watch to see where is travels to as other people move it. I think one we moved is now in Canada.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

We always have a treasure hunt at home.

- go find the TV remote.
- where are daddy's keys.

etc...

Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
TCHDNSD
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Some great ideas so far. Keep 'em coming if you have more. Just about a month to go before I need to have this done.

Quick Reply