Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Transporting homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
kirch71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Transporting homebrew?

A made a Dogfish Head Midas Touch clone that I would like to bring to FL with me. I live in NJ and may be driving down. Are there any legal concerns or should I just hide it under some bags in the back? Also what shipping companies could I use if I fly? I would ship a week early of course.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 1563 Posts
Likes Given: 5813

If you fly just pack it well and put it in your checked luggage. I've done it this way many times and never had a single problem. If you drive I wouldn't even worry about it. From US Code Title 27 Sec. 121:

"All fermented, distilled, or other intoxicating liquors or liquids transported into any State or Territory or remaining therein for use, consumption, sale, or storage therein, shall upon arrival in such State or Territory be subject to the operation and effect of the laws of such State or Territory enacted in the exercise of its police powers, to the same extent and in the same manner as though such liquids or liquors had been produced in such State or Territory, and shall not be exempt therefrom by reason of being introduced therein in original packages or otherwise."

The way I read that is that while transporting the homebrew from state to state, as long as you are in compliance with the individual states' homebrew laws then you have nothing to worry about. For most states that means
DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer so this should not be taken as legal advice.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Reason: Added disclaimer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply