Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Tito's Handmade Vodka? Change of recipe?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Tito's Handmade Vodka? Change of recipe?

Ever since I tried it, I've been a huge fan it Tito's Handmade vodka. I found it to be nearly as good as at the ultra premiums, but at a much nicer price. However, something has changed. I recently picked up a handle and, frankly, I was unimpressed. It had a lot of alcohol burn. I ranked it just slightly ahead of Smirnoff and far below Ketel One. What gives? Have they changed their recipe? Have my tastes changed? I considered Tito's to be one of the last great deals in vodka, but this bottle has really caused me to reevaluate that position. I really don't see how this bottle could have come anywhere near winning a spirits competition.

Has anybody else been less than excited about a recent bottle of this stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
D*Bo
Recipes 

I tried some a few years ago and noticed this. I used to be a huge fan. I thought my taste had refined and I never noticed the low quality.
When was the last time you tried it?
Poor QA? Bad batch?

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #3
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D*Bo View Post
I tried some a few years ago and noticed this. I used to be a huge fan. I thought my taste had refined and I never noticed the low quality.
When was the last time you tried it?
Poor QA? Bad batch?
Probably a good four or five years ago or so. I'm not a big vodka drinker and so I get more gift bottles here or there than I can typically consume. Usually I buy Smirnoff for the cheap mixers, but I've been working on my liquor cabinets (plural) these past few weeks and needed to get them stocked up. I'm now up to four cabinets. LOL

I bought a full handle of the Tito's and, being the lover of all beverages that I am, I immediately cracked it open for a sample and was like, "Meh..."

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 07-16-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Well, I may have to change my assessment. I did a single blind tasting with SWMBO tonight... Grey Goose, Tito's, and Smirnoff. SWMBO sniffed out the Smirnoff from a mile away but had to go back to the other two. On the second pass, she picked Tito's over Grey Goose. Now, I thought the smell alone was enough to give away the Tito's- I thought the Grey Goose had less of a rubbing alcohol smell and less of a burn, but SWMBO said the Tito's was better and of course, knowing what was what, I may have been biased.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 08-06-2008 at 03:12 AM.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 599 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Based on this thread alone (not to mention my own curiosity), I'm buying Tito's next time I see it. It's usually available at a reasonable price since it's distilled close by.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #6
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 253 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I picked up a 1/2 gallon at Costco last month for $23. They were doing a tasting. It was as fine as always. Then again, I am local and get the fresh stuff.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 08-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #7
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did an infusion once with Tito's using fruit cake spices (no fruit).

That was very tasty especially in the winter.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 08-06-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Really I think Smirnoff is better than most. I will have to try this Titos.

I havent been impressed with a few of the ultras.

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Based on this thread alone (not to mention my own curiosity), I'm buying Tito's next time I see it. It's usually available at a reasonable price since it's distilled close by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74 View Post
Really I think Smirnoff is better than most. I will have to try this Titos.
I'd be interested in both of your assessments. I'm not a huge vodka lover and I strongly suspect that of all beer/liquor/wine fanatics, vodka fanatics are the least likely to know what they are talking about. After all, how can you get so worked up about a beverage that, at it's best, is meant to taste like nothing at all? You might as well be a reverse-osmosis water fanatic, imho. So, from the start, I view vodka snobs with suspicion.

My suspicion of vodka lovers, however, is further fueled by the fact that many of them get excited about flavored vodkas, most of which use artificial flavoring and colors. As bad as it is to get excited about a flavorless beverage, it's even worse to get excited about the adult equivalent of a children's sno-cone. Even the naturally-flavored vodkas rouse my suspicion because it's really nothing more than a simple infusion that most people could do at home with minimal effort. I just don't see why you would get excited about something you could do yourself with just a couple minutes of effort.

SWMBO has a friend who insists on always buying "top shelf". I scoff at him for not experimenting and I suppose he thinks I am a cheapskate. When he was over the other day, he mentioned my lack of grenadine, to which SWMBO replied that we use pomegranate liqueur in its place. He said there was no replacement for grenadine! When SWMBO told me this, I laughed. Why is he adamantly defending the use of an artificially colored, artificially flavored, corn-syrup filled mixer? Especially when a naturally-flavored substitute is available (Pama). This is my view of vodka snobs- they come off as knowledgeable, but really don't have much to say.

Anyway, I'm open to opinions. I'm trying to keep an open mind. Depending on how your tastings go, I may keep Tito's in my rotation... the price is nice enough.

So when anybody gives it a try, feel free to post up with a review.

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 08-06-2008 at 03:26 PM.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I like how Absolute is somehow topshelf stuff. I know a lot of "vodak" fanatics rave about Absolute.

Grey Goose and Belvedere are nice, just not worth the extreme cost. The new ones like Ciroc and Level are just a waste of money IMO.

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Quick Reply