The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > tired of my programming job/path.. microbiology/biochem/something???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeing View Post
PhD Biochemist here. [Hence, in part, the user

Maybe with a software background you could go into bio-computing?
do you mean Bioinformatics isn't "bio-computing" construction of an entire computer system to mirror a living organism? I have a BS in Bio and have working in industry for years, and now work for the government.

There are nitches for a combined degree like this but IMO to make real money outside of R&D you would proly have to move.

Without getting technical: I worked for abbott laboratories, companies like this sell products to hospitals that perform various tests for diagnosis, these tests are run by machines that employ software that calculate biochemical reactions for results, these variables or results interface with other "software applications" to do various tasks. These systems are consistently being updated and improved on. I was involved with the development and application of a Troponin test for I-stat a hand held blood analyzer there are jobs for this no doubt. Well paying ones.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #12
BioBeing
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Sorry yeah, bioinformatics. I knew I had the wrong word when I typed it!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Maybe a different perspective for you. I used to work with a guy who always seemed happy. Its not that he was happy at work, he was just happy in general. He wasn't exactly the most motivated or proficient at his job either. Pretty low responsibility, low pay, but got sh*t on quite a bit. None of it mattered.

On the other hand, I loved my job when I first started, but grew to really resent it. I had a lot of responsibility which I thrived in, but got crapped on more than was reasonable or fair. All the things I did above and beyond expectations were taken for granted. I absolutely hated it and I hated the fact that I couldn't find happiness at work anymore. And that eventually became something that I took home with me as well.

After doing some soul searching, I decided what it was that made that other guy so happy. He didn't give a damn about work. He had happiness at home and he just went to work to do what he needed to do, so he could afford the things that made him happy at home. Simplistic, but it works.

As for me, I tried but I knew I couldn't separate myself from work by that much when I had already been so involved in everything. If I did, I would have to really compromise everything I had worked to establish myself as a professional at that place, and I wasn't willing to take that hit to my integrity. So for me and my situation, the answer was to leave and start over at a new job. I now have a great job, which I can NOT complain about. Pay is great, people are professional and intelligent, minimal stress, and I even have normal working hours as opposed to rotating shift work.

Just a couple of thoughts for you. But as everyone else has commented, don't jump too quickly. Do your research and make a good decision. You have a job which is presumably covering all of your needs right now, it would suck to lose that to something you resent even more.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #14
jacob1484
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

lots of good stuff here... I'll have to come back after I get some sleep. Thanks for all the input

Old 01-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #15
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 649 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 385

I got my bs in biology in 2006 and work as an environmental scientist in a geology/engineering firm. As previously mentioned, competition for jobs in the biological sciences is very competitive. Most "entry" level jobs require a masters and even then the pay is not that great. I would think hard about a career switch to this field as it will take a lot of time, money, and sacrafice from you and your family.

If you're unhappy with your job why not just move on to another company? I transfered within my company from new york to north carolina and it has been like working for a different company in the best way.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:28 AM   #16
jacob1484
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

After some consideration I've decided to take the advice of a few here and try moving to a new shop. The options in the area are pretty limited as far as programming shops go and I'm not really in a position to move so it may take a little while but maybe it'll be worth the effort.

Thanks for all the input

Quick Reply